Certificate printable by Teachers or Admin?

Certificate printable by Teachers or Admin?

by Caroline Allen -
Number of replies: 9

We currently have a graduation ceremony where we hand out laminated certificates to course participants and therefore do not require each student to print their own. Is it possible for a teacher or admin to bulk produce certificates for printing? As far as I can see it is not possible - we use ver 1.9.8

Many thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Caroline Allen

Re: Certificate printable by Teachers or Admin?

by Raymond Fürst -

As far as I know, this is not possible without reworking the certificate module.

An admin might login as a participant and open/download the certificate with this identity, but this is not advisable.

If you need a bulk operation on this, I would use the gradebook or the quiz result table to export the relevant data into a spreadsheet-table and create similar looking certificates as a serial letter in a word processor.

by Joachim Vogelgesang -

Hi Caroline,

the following is not an automation but a possible way to get what you want.

Update your appropriate certificate, Issue Options => Safe Certificates: yes

If you choose this option, then a copy of each student's certificate is saved in the course files moddata folder for that certificate. A link to each student's saved certificate will be displayed in the teacher "View Issued Certificates" report. Here teacher can print all required certificates without logins as participants.

hth,

Joachim

In reply to Joachim Vogelgesang

by Joachim Vogelgesang -

Additional remark: if you want no certificate download possibility for students,  make certificate invisible (closed eye) - teacher still can view certificates.

by Raymond Fürst -

I am afraid this idea will not work.

Yes, you can modify the certificate this way, and certificates will be stored as files accessible to the system admin then.

But the certificates will not be (bulk-)generated this way. Generating a certificate issue for a certain student requires the student to login and open the certificate activity manually (either the real student does this or a teacher/admin cloaked with "login as").

In reply to Raymond Fürst

by Joachim Vogelgesang -

Hi Raymond,

why do you mean this should not work? Bulk-generated no, as I said above, but the teacher will have a list of all certificates (View issued certificates) as pdf and will be able to download/print one by one, without login as participant and logout and login as another participant.... (see help of 'certificate/Issue options/Save certificates)

Joachim

attached picture is the view of teacher:

Attachment Certificate_teacher_view.jpg

by Joachim Vogelgesang -

thoughtless error: you're right, Raymond, the certificate must first be created by the students! Making certificates invisible to students does not work! Mea culpasad

But this way teacher is able to make 'certificate with high quality, laminated...', which he can later distribute during a celebration... and first download of student´s certificate may be seen as pre-information for certificate...

by Raymond Fürst -

I do not like the feature of having moodle save the certificate as a pdf-file in its guts.

I have it disabled, so clicking on a certificate forces the module to generate the issue from scratch. This is important if there are changes in the design of the certificate.

Creating bulk certificates without giving the students the possibility to get one before the great ceremony can be achieved using the spreadsheet-serial-letter-workaround mentioned above.

In reply to Raymond Fürst

by Caroline Allen -

Thanks for your responses. I have had IT trying to work out how to do it. It still doesnt make sense to me having students produce their own certificates.  In all the time I was a student (and that was a long time), I have never had to produce my own certificate!

by Chris Collman -
Picture of Documentation writers

Hi Caroline,

There are many situtations where having the "student" print the certificate is desireable.   Uh.. how many online courses did you take back in the day smile

In one of my training environment,  we provide the certified training and other organizations Human Resource Depts provide the key to get into one of our courses 24/7.   We keep a record but it is the organization that needs a copy of the certificate. The "student" gives the certificate to the person who authorized them to take the course by giving them the key. This is common.

Also consider certificates as non academic motivators.  "Hey Mom, look at the cool certificate I got for learning how sensitive some old people are about technology!"    Humorous example, but certificatescan be like rtibbons or stickers.

Hope this helps answer why a student should be able to print their ceritifcate.

Chris