Moodle 2 Admin role and Manager role

Moodle 2 Admin role and Manager role

by .. .. -
Number of replies: 13

Hi, Im wondering what the new superuser admin role is about. Im wondering what features are available to an administrator as opposed to the next highest role which is manager?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to .. ..

Re: Moodle 2 Admin role and Manager role

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

The difference is that manager is a real role, while admin is a special case.

The way permission checks work in the Moodle code is that there is a function called has_capability. A typical bit of Moodle code might look like if (has_capability('mod/forum:post', $context)) { /* let the user do something */ }. has_capability normally does some complicated calculation based on what roles the user has where, and how those roles are defined and overridden.

But, as I say, administrators are a special case. For admins, has_capability will always return true, no matter how the roles are set up.

On the other hand, the manager role is a normal role, like course creator. By default the manager role has almost every capability but, because it is a normal role, you can edit that if you choose. There is no way to edit what permissions an administrator has.

Normally, you should use the manager role, and not use an administrator account. This is rather like the way you are recommended not to log into Linux as root.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by .. .. -

Thanks for the help.

May I present a secenario to you. What are the reasons (in the moodle context) for not logging in as an administrator if there would be only 2 - 3 people in this role?  These people would create courses for others to manage, but also administer moodle as a whole. Would there be a drawback / risk associated with this?

In reply to .. ..

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It very similar to the reason that many people don't use the root account on linux any more, they just use ordinary accounts and sudo. It is just less risky.

In reply to .. ..

by Vinita Upadhyay -

As long as you know what you are doing and don't touch other fields/button which are not required, you are safe.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Benjamin Young -

I have a question regarding the admin role and where the recoreds of who is assigned as admin are kept in Moodle 2.x?

Before the role assignment of admin was stored in the role_assignment table I believe but this is not the case anymore.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Benjamin Young

Re: Moodle 1.9. Admin and Moodle 2 Admin / Manager roles

by Julian ter Huurne -

We recently came from 1.9 to 2.2 and as one with the 'administrator' role in 1.9 I was a little surprised not seeing it back in 2.2. I assume that it has been replaced by the 'manager' role. Is that assumption correct?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Debbie Kay -

Hi

I am using 1.9.4 but just installed 2.2 to test before taking the plunge with my production site and am confused about the Admin and Manager roles.

When I installed the test 2.2 it asked for 'admin' details as usual and I duly completed them.

When I login using those 'admin' details I can see my role is only 'Manager' yet people here are talking about there still being an Admin role.

How do I assign this to myself then if moodle automatically 'only' gave me 'manager' role?

Of have i totally misunderstood and Manager IS Administrator in 2.2?

2.2 looks wildly different to 1.9 so far and I am finding it hard to get my head round the changes - I wonder if this is because I am no longer an administrator, or if the whole thing has changed almost beyond recognition?!

Many thanks for any pointers!

In reply to Debbie Kay

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Debbie. If you installed Moodle 2.2 yourself and it asked you to set up admin details then you should be admin smile Can you go to Settings>Site administration>Users>Permissions>Site administrators and see who is in there? If you can't get to that then you have somehow been assigned as a manager which is odd  behaviour.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Debbie Kay -

Hi Mary

Many thanks for your speedy reply smile

I followed your instructions and I am listed there as Main Administrator - which is hopeful!

But everywhere esle it seems to refer to me as 'Manager' e.g Settings>my profile settings>roles>this users role assignments 

This lists me as Manager and Course creator, but no mention of Administrator in any area, am I just misunderstanding the wording then?

Does Manager mean Administrator in this area? If so I find it very confusing!

Many thanks for any additional insights! smile

In reply to Debbie Kay

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ah - have you given yourself any other roles anywhere else in the site? Such as - have you made yourself a course creator or a manager somewhere else? (You don't really need to , as admin can do everything anyway)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Debbie Kay -

Ahh Mary - you might have something there! Thanks!

I upgraded from 1.9.4 to the latest 1.9, then up to the 2.2 using a copy of my original 1.9.4 DB so I could see if the data all transferred OK.

so whilst I have not given myself any other roles on the 2.2 version, I did have the role course creator and teacher in the 1.9 one.

I still am not sure where the Manager role came from or is that just what Moodle 2.2 calls the Administrator?

Thanks again! I love 1.9 - maybe I will stay with it a while longer smile

In reply to Debbie Kay

by Mary Cooch -

It has probably taken your roles from 1.9 and transferred them over as best it could. The Manager role is a different role from admin as that link will explain.