Backup and restore problems from one Moodle server to another

Backup and restore problems from one Moodle server to another

by Dave Wiebe -
Number of replies: 3

Hello,

The current setup of Moodle we are using, involves having a test server and a production server. Course creators have been experimenting/creating courses in the test environment, and then uploading them to the Production environment when they are mostly satisfied with the courses.

This has worked reasonably well, except for when Book modules are involved in the courses. Viewing a Book from a course that was created on a different Moodle installation seems to force-logout the current user. Editing the book is close to impossible, except for turning editing on before enterin g the course, but saving results in either missing cmid or sesskey errors.

Has anyone had experiences like this? Is there any quick solution?

Thanks!

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dave Wiebe

Re: Backup and restore problems from one Moodle server to another

by Derek Chirnside -

Dave, as far as I can tell, the Backup/Restore from one Moodle 2 to another Moodle 2 is not written yet.  If by "Uploading them to the Production Server" you mean restore, this may be the issue.

When I tried Backup/restore yesterday with the book, I got just an empty book that took me directly to 'Edit the Book'.  ie no errors as such.  However, I am using a hosted Moodle server, and they may have tweaked the book a little (actually the book version is the one included with the NZ Moodle In Schools build).

At present we are manually recreating the books in the new server.

I've done a little tweaking of the docs for 2.0 here: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Book_module (Please fix/improve)

In reply to Derek Chirnside

by Dave Wiebe -

Thanks for the reply!
Sorry, I should've specified...

This is using Moodle 1.9, and the same copies and versions of both Moodle and the Book Module.

But they are seperate instances and use seperate databases.

Any insight would help.

In reply to Dave Wiebe

by Kevin Brake -

Hi Dave,

I am having a similar issue, see my thread:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=158646&parent=756088

You may want to see if the restored version is pulling content from the test server.

You maybe given the illusion that it is actually restored on the new server but it is actually still dependant on content from the test server.

Let me know if this is happening to you as well.

Kevin