SMTP Error: Could not authenticate

Re: SMTP Error: Could not authenticate

by Ali Hastie -
Number of replies: 10

Just upgraded to 2.0.2+ (build 20110221) and still receive the same error. Has this been reported as I can't find it within the tracker?

Ali

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Diego Fernandez -

Same error here!

Running moodle 2.0.2 on an Ubuntu server 10.04

Whats more weird is that i have a moodle 1.9 running on an Ubuntu server 8.04 with the exact same configuration of mail preferences and everything works like a charm.

Does someone have been able to solve this? Very much apreciate it, thats the only left for complete migration.

thanks

In reply to Diego Fernandez

by Diego Fernandez -

After a couple of days reading in forums i realize my mail server works alike as gmail.

So i follow this guide.

This part of the document solves my problem:

Code Modification

In your Moodle site go to /lib/phpmailer/ and modify the following file:

class.smtp.php

Around line 83 DIRECTLY after the Connect function header, insert this line immediately after the "{" :

$host = 'ssl://' . $host;

hopes this helps someone with the same problem.

by Tim Boyes-Hill -

Equally I had this issue and I corrected in in the /lib/phpmailer/class.phpmailer.php file - overriding the SMTP hosted directly my the required information.

Once completed I then removed the SMTP information from the installation itself from site admin\server\email everything now works fine.

by Ali Hastie -

Ive tried this solution, the error messages disappear and I do personally receive emails as the Moodle support but its an undeliverable messages I receive.

Basically all my users within Moodle 2 do not receive emails sad

In reply to Ali Hastie

by Jason Hollowell -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Did any of you ever get this problem solved. I am using the latest version of 2 on an Ubuntu server as well (10.04) and still have this same problem. And, as someone mentioned, I have 1.9 installed on the same server and it sends e-mails fine. I really don't want to downgrade now that I have content on my 2.1 site sad but without e-mails being sent from the forums Moodle is VERY handicapped. sad

Jason

In reply to Jason Hollowell

Ynt: Re: SMTP Error: Could not authenticate

by Özge Irmak -

Hi, I just solved my problem and want to share the solution with you.

It was a line addition to moodlelib.php  ( in the lib directory)

Find the line :

$mailer->IsSMTP();

and under this line , insert

$mailer->SMTPSecure = "tls";

if you use TLS of course. After this, e-mail system was working without any problems.

I hope it helps. smile

In reply to Özge Irmak

Re: Ynt: Re: SMTP Error: Could not authenticate

by Ramchadnra Pujari -

Hello I am getting this error "Language string failed to load: tls ERROR: Language string failed to load: tls " please help me on this...

In reply to Jason Hollowell

by llywelyn morgan -

same situation as us.  2.1 all ready to replace 1.9 but can't until this problem is sorted.  using same server and settings as 1.9 installation but getting the 'could not substantiate' error.

we're also having issues with ldap installation.  moodle doesn't accept it is enabled when it is!!  

haven't been able to find refernces that have helped yet.

by Leo Furze-Waddock -

I've just set-up Moodle 2.3.3 on Windows Server 2008 R2, IIS7.5, SQL Server 2008 R2 & PHP 5.3.13

I set-up SMTP Authentication with TLS on port 25.

My email server was responding with: rsp: 535 Authentication failed

After several hours, largely due to the lack of a Moodle smtp testing feature, I realised it was that I had used a £(pound) sign in my paranoid password. When I removed it, all was well - I noticed a similar issue with the database password.