I can't login

I can't login

by Bert Boymans -
Number of replies: 7

Hi,

I installed Moodle and eveything went very smoothly. After the installation I activated my account. After the activation I tried to login, but when I fill in my username and password and click on Login I just get back in my docroot and get the message "You are not logged in". Anyone has an idea what this problem can be?

Thanks, Mark.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bert Boymans

Re: I can't login

by Gustav W Delius -

Hi Mark,

the FAQ has the following recommendation: make sure the URL in your $CFG->wwwroot setting is exactly the same as the one you are actually using to access the site.

If the above doesn't solve it (it didn't for me), then you may have the 'trailing slash' problem. To diagnose this you have to look at the roots of the URLs that are displayed on your login page and on the homepage that you get to after the unsuccessful login. Are they different?

Gustav

In reply to Gustav W Delius

by Bert Boymans -

Hi Gustav,

The URL in my $CFG->wwwroot is exactly the same as the one I use to access the site, so that's not the problem. Also the URLs that are displayed on my login page and on the homepage that I get after the unsuccesful login are the same. Is this good or bad?

Thanks, Mark.

In reply to Bert Boymans

by Gustav W Delius -
That means that unfortunately I do not have a solution to your problem. sad

I do however also have a moodle installation where I can not log in when I use Opera. The login works fine with IE and Netscape. Are you using Opera by any chance?

Gustav
In reply to Bert Boymans

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -

Mark,

This might be a problem with your browser cookie settings.  Moodle uses cookies to store your login information, which is then passed behind the scenes by your browser whenever you access web pages on the Moodle site.  If you have disabled cookies in your browser, then Moodle will ask you to login again, leading to the sort of infinite cycle that you are experiencing.

Even if your browser is configured to accept cookies, you might have some other software (e.g. a firewall) which is blocking the cookies.

Zig

In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Bert Boymans -

Hi Zig,

Thanks for your reaction. The strange thing is that I don't have this problem when I'm using Moodle on the internet (http://moodle.org). Even when I use the same computer. Only when I try to use Moodle on my local machine (with apache & mysql) I have this problem. Because I have no problems with logging in on http://moodle.org I don't think it is a Coockie problem...

Mark.

In reply to Bert Boymans

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -

So in your situation, the browser and Apache server are running on the same machine?

I still think there is a possibility of some confusion between the server and your browser about cookie handling. For instance maybe for some strange reason your browser considers your local server to be a restricted/untrusted site.

Try changing your cookie preferences to "always prompt".  Then see what happens when you connect to moodle.org and compare to what happens when you connect to your local server.  Also examine the cookie files.  Sometimes cookie files get corrupted and deleting the cookies and retrying corrects the problem.

In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

by Bert Boymans -

It works! I changed the session.savepath in php.ini and everything works fine smile.

Gustav and Zig, thanks for helping me out.

Mark.