how to delete Wiki pages in Wiki 2.0

how to delete Wiki pages in Wiki 2.0

by Gisela Hillenbrand -
Number of replies: 8
Picture of Documentation writers

I cannot figure out how to delete wiki pages in wiki module 2.0

In Moodle 1.9.+ it was possible to delete them.

Can anyone help?

Gisela

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gisela Hillenbrand

Re: how to delete Wiki pages in Wiki 2.0

by Florian Wetzel -

Hello,

I have the same problem. Is there any possibility to delete a page manually within the moodledata in some *.php or any database?

In reply to Florian Wetzel

by AL Rachels -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Yes, you can go into you Moodle database and remove wiki pages manually, but you will also want to remove the content and links. It can get very messy if you are not careful. I would recommend just removing all content from a page you want to get rid of except a Do Not Use warning, and then wait until they give us a delete page button or tab.

If you must though, the page will be in the mdl_wiki_pages table and the content will be in the mdl_wiki_versions table. The versions table will have an entry for each version of the page listed on the History tab. The mdl_wiki_links table will also have an entry for every link that will take you to the page you are wanting to delete.

You will need to make sure the entry for the page is the one you really want to delete because if you are like me, I have a lot of wiki's and many have pages with the same name.

To help make sure you delete the right contents, you can write yourself a message on that wiki page, then look for it in mdl_wiki_versions. When you find it, make note of the pageid because you will need to look through the whole mdl_wiki_version table and delete ALL the entries that have the same pageid. If you look at the History for the page you will know how many you should find.

Once you have those taken care of you then need to go look at the mdl_wiki_links table. Refresh your browser then look for any topageid that now has a zero entry. The frompageid entry should correspond to the one that had a link to the page you are deleting. Look through the whole table because if you linked to the deleted page from more than one page, there will be others to find and delete.

The two times I have wanted to do this, I made a sample wiki to play around with first so I would not risk messing up a wiki I was actually using.

Hope this helps.

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Gisela,

I cannot answer your question for the standard Wiki in Moodle 2 as I was not successful in deleting a page in Wiki 2. Tonight I installed the alpha version of OUwiki 2.0 (click on "Link to Google Docs folder containing the three zip files") without any problems in our test site. I like using the OUwiki 1.9 in my online classes and I am glad to read that it will be available for Moodle 2 as well. Deleting a page is no problem at all.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Peter Ruthven-Stuart -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

Gisela, thanks for posting this message. It seems unbelievable to me that it's not possible to delete a wiki page. After all, it was possible in 1.9. Surely, I must be missing something really obvious?

I've reported this as a bug: MDL-27335. Perhaps you could vote on this issue?

Hartmut, how's your experience with the alpha version of the OU Wiki? Does it support groups? Unfortunately, the Moodle 2 Wiki doesn't, see MDL-27037 & MDL-27306

In reply to Peter Ruthven-Stuart

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hello Peter,

Sorry for the delayed answer. My little experience with OUwiki confirmed the flexibility of this module. I started with two separate groups and the start page can only be seen by the respective group. Then I changed the same wiki to visible groups. At the bottom I can see "Add a section" of the other group and I tried to add a section, but I received an error message (which is correct, because no one of group A should be allowed to add something to group B). The "edit" button was not visible when I viewed the other group. So I didn't find a problem at all. You have to set up a start page for each group.I like the OUwiki for M2.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Sonia Coiro -

Hallo Gisela

Do you know now, if there is a way like moodle 1.9 to delete wikipages in wiki moodle 2?

Lg, Sonia

In reply to Sonia Coiro

by Sonia Coiro -

Ok, I've seen the upgrade at 2.1.2 solve the problem, completing the tabs with 'administration' -  what a relief!

wink sonia