Maximum number of student

Maximum number of student

by Massimo Zunino -
Number of replies: 5

Hello, I want to propose moodle in a big learning project.

Without considering the problem of administering very great number of student (and also for the hardware), there is a limit to a number of people that can be enrolled in a single course in moodle 2.0?

Many thanks

Massimo

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Massimo Zunino

Re: Maximum number of student

by Tammy Moore -

I am not sure about Moodle 2.0, but I know that our large enrollment courses wouldn't automatically do a course backup for that course anymore once they reached a large size. The back-up logs would show an error for that course. You could manually back them up fine though. I suspect that its a 'time taken to complete the backup' sort of thing in the automatic backup process. There may even be a setting somewhere that can be increased to allow more time. Most of our courses run about 150 students or less. We didn't see issues until the numbers hit about 200 in an individual course.

:0)

Tammy Moore

by Seun Ojedeji -

Hello Zunino,

there is a limit to a number of people that can be enrolled in a single course in moodle 2.0

Is this a question or Info? well assuming its a que smile I will say i have not experienced a limit before(though i use 1.99+). The little arguement i have to backup that is for example the frontpage itself to me is a course and by default all registered users are enrolled to it.....we have over 20000 users and we have not had any issues with limit.

Or are you asking whether you can set enrollment limit?

Regards

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

There is no limit imposed.

Some parts of Moodle become slower or use more memory as the number of users in the course becomes bigger, however Moodle generally scales very well, so with the right hardware you can have very big courses.

Our system currently has 750,000 users (168,102 enroled on an active course) and we have 11 'courses' with over 20,000 students. (Those are mostly not really courses, more containers for general information and self-assessment quizzes that students can self-enrol it.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Massimo Zunino -

Thanks to all.

My request is exactly if there is a limit to a number of people that can be enrolled in a single course in moodle 2.0

Many thanks to Tim you have confirmed my opinion.

Best regards.

Massimo

by Giang Trinh -

Hello Massimo,

If you use Moodle 2.0, you can set the maximum number of students to be enrolled in a course by going to Site administration/Plugins/Enrollment/Self enrolment. However, this is a site-wide setting, and you only set one value to this variable and it only applies for self-enrolment. With manual enrolment, you can already control the number of students, then I guess it's not the case then.

Best regards,

Giang Trinh