Link to an Articulate Presentation without turning into SCORM?

Link to an Articulate Presentation without turning into SCORM?

by Panagiotis Iliopoulos -
Number of replies: 13

Hello everyone,

I came across this problem today when I had to link an Articilate presentation in my moodle courses in moodle 2.0.

An articulate output folder is fairly simple, two folders with all the necessary files (swf, xml, images, js etc) and one html file to run in order to see the presentation.

In moodle 1.9 it was pretty straight forward what to do, ftp all the files in a folder in your moodledata course folder and simply link it to play in your course.

Now its not that simple, now since that previous functionality is replaced with the file picker we have to work around that as suggested here http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=166999 using the "Legacy Course Files" because just uploading it in a repository just doesn't work for obvious reasons, only by LCF this can be done as far as I know so far.

Now using the Legacy Course Files is

a) not recommended by the the community
b) it mimicks the old system which had security issues and finally
c) doesn't give me access to my presentation from all of the courses.

And there is the fact that the LCF in its own help files says "If you use this area to store course files, you can expose yourself to a number of privacy and security issues, as well as experiencing missing files in backups, course imports and any time content is shared or re-used. It is therefore recommended that you do not use this area unless you really know what you are doing."

So after all this my question is:  what is the proper, recommended way for someone to link an Articulate Presentation in a course without making it into SCORM?

Thank you all in advance.

Panos

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Panagiotis Iliopoulos

Re: Link to an Articulate Presentation without turning into SCORM?

by Elena Ivanova -

I know that HQ will not agree with me on "proper" use of Legacy Files, but I strongly believe that LCF repository should remain available for all foreseeable future, as due to the current business processes it is unavoidable anyway.
(admin and course designers can always decide what is more appropriate for their installations/courses വിചാരിച്ചിരിക്കുകയാണു)

Panos, here are the steps for you:

Option 1: Use Legacy Course Files

• Zip your presentation locally
  • Load it into the Legacy Course files > Unzip. Save Changes
  • Go to course homepage > Turn Editing on > Add a Resource > URL(!)
  • Browse inside your LCF and link to your index.html file (or whatever is set to be main)

Option 2: Use new type of Resource called "File"
Yes, for those who are confused, just think of this "File" resource as of a completely new resource type (that copies your files from repositories to the resource)
And think of the "URL" resource type as of the old 1.9 "Link to a File or Website".

• Zip your presentation locally
  • Go to course homepage > turn Editing on > Add a Resource > File
  • Click Add button > Upload your zipped file > Unzip it there, by clicking the icon to the right of the file
  • Click an icon to the right of index.html. Choose Set a Main file
  • Scroll down and Save

കണ്ണു ചിമ്മുക

In reply to Elena Ivanova

Thank you for your reply Elena.

I do not have a problem using the LCF feature but apparently Moodle 2.0 has.

Currently I am working on a test server preparing 1 pilot course and 1 course intended to educate our tutors on e-learning and familiarize them with Moodle.

My production server is still not up and I would like to copy my work there when the server is up, hence perform a backup/restore. I don't want to do the job twice and with LCF the fear is just that, that perhaps I am goin to miss on some content from the LCF after the restore.

And Option 2 is not wokring, I followed the steps but the links don't work, flash movie is not loading.

And one more thing I am concerned with is how is Moodle 2.0 handles backup/restore in regards of files (images mostly) that are stored in a repository in my moodle data? In my lesson I am going to be using some images for specific reasons, those images are going to be in all of my lessons so I put them in a nice repository in my moodledata called "Lesson images" to link them from there. How is that going to be handled in moodle 2.0, will it backed up and restored properly? Somehow i think it will not നാക്ക്‌ നീട്ടി

Panos

by Elena Ivanova -

Option 2 works for me. I have tested on a very elaborate Articulate presentation പുഞ്ചിരി
Are you getting any errors? I would check the original file, may be something needs tweaking there.

Are going to do in place upgrade from 1.9 to 2.0?
If so, your images will get automatically converted to a new 2.0 behavior, so they will become copied, and copied, and copied into every single lesson.
(I have just asked our developers to review if we can somehow change the upgrade logic locally. Some of our users created tons of resources with re-used css, images, etc, so for them it would be impossible to maintain after the upgrade).

If you are planning to create 2.0 lessons from scratch, then those linked images ("link external" needs to be cheked) should remain "links", if you backup/restore from 2.0 to 2.0.

And talking about "should", I have just reviewd Lessons in 2.0, and  if I try to insert an image from "Legacy files" into the Lesson page, I am getting the  "No files available" message (I do have files there).
Bug detected പുഞ്ചിരി

Hello Elena,

Well when I follow the steps you provided in option 2 it doesn't give me any errors, when I click the resource the page opens and the movie just don't load. No errors or something like that.

All the work I'll do will be in moodle 2.0, I am not expecting ay errors there.

Thanks for the help Elena.

Panos

by Elena Ivanova -

hmmm, are you linking to index_lms.html, or player.html?

Please try the last one.  (My original instructions with index.html were tested on Presenter)

This is what you should see after you unzip your Articulate files inside the resource. Do you see the same structure?

Hello Elena,

I linked to the correct file but this view is of a SCORM export of an Articulate presentation, while I had a simple web export when I tested it.

I will try it with a SCORM export and get back to you.

Thank you,

Panos.

by Elena Ivanova -

ah, yes. Using the regular  Publish > Web in Articulate output also worked.
Screenshot പുഞ്ചിരി

If you are doing the same, and the movie still does not load - can you play it at all outside of Moodle?
May your browser in the cause? e.g. it does not have needed flash version (you can check it, if you upload the movie to somewhere else online, and try to play it from there).
Can your installation be prohibiting some file types?

Attachment 28Scr Feb. 21 13.07.jpg

Ok, this is embarrasing നാണത്തുടുപ്പ്‌

I was testing on a firefox that had an old flash version...

It works fine.

Thank you Elena for all your help

Regards Panos.

by Michael Cenkner -

Hello,

Using Moodle 2.6 Also have issues with the index page not displaying.

The steps are, Add resource>Add file>upload Zipped file>unzip> select the index page as Main Page> Save and Display

(btw, I assume if an HTML page launches the object locally, that page should work as the index page when set to Main Page, right?)

I've followed these steps, more than once, but like some others what I'm seeing is a blank page when I click my final html page.

We don't want to use the SCORM module bcs we don't want the Gradebook items.

As others have pointed out, this used to be simple in the days of Moodle 1.x.  Anyway help will be appreciated. Thx

Ang: Re: Link to an Articulate Presentation without turning into SCORM?

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators

#3:

Hi Elena,

Thanks a lot. I even got the Articulate to work from the Moodle repository - it appears to be related to a currupt zip file - even though the exact reason has not been identified.

പുഞ്ചിരി Very helpful

by Paul Broekhof -

I tried to follow option 2 after uploading a zip file with a bunch of web pages inside. However, when I click on the icon next to the extracted files, I do not get the option "Set as Main File". I only get Download, Delete, Rename and Move. I am using Moodle 2.2, does that require another approach?

Attachment File options after upload.png
In reply to Paul Broekhof

by SVI eSolutions -

How can you set a main page in moodle 2.6... There is no icon and the only options are to download, rename or delete when you click on the filename...

In reply to SVI eSolutions

by Whitney Lowe -
Did you try to right click on the file name? You should have an option to set as main file if you right click on it.