General help

Judy
Open Source Question Bank

Is there an open source Question Bank for all content objectives in Language Arts for students aged 8-14 yrs.?

Specifically, grammar, sentence structure, punctuation, usage, common errors...

And/Or, can anyone suggest Question Bank resources and quick tips?

(I put this question in the Quiz Module forum also since I think it pertains to both forums equally.)

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Dan McGuire
Re: Open Source Question Bank

I haven't heard of one, yet, but I think you're thinking along the same lines as others, including me.  I had a conversation yesterday with, Don Smithmier, CEO of Sophia Learning.  Sophia is creating collection of 'learning packets' which are very much like questions.  I suggested to Don  that the packets have a Moodle compatible designation, if they are.  I think the packets could be structured so that just the question is available and then the answer is part 2, that would be optional to download.

One of the problems with this is that 'the answer' to the question might be too obvious to actually foster much learning.  The skill, then, is in how the question is asked or posed, which is the essence of lots of good teaching since and including Socrates and the Koan masters.

Judy

True, and I'd like to involve students in helping design questions as well.  Learning to ask a good question (that students would enjoy answering) is a part of the fun and would be a useful resource if shared.

Paul

I was recently looking for just this, as our school looks to transition from our old state standards in math and literacy to the common core standards.  I thought to myself, someone has to have a question bank out there that is already mapped to each standard.  Perhaps Examview format or an xml format would work.

Is there a way that educators could begin to work together to build such a bank, maybe through OER commons, curriki.org, some other common body.  Now that the vast majority of the US has shifted to a common set of standards, there would be those to map questions/content to.  There may be other international common sets of learning standards but I don't know much about that.

I have a hunch there is some paid content out there that could be added to your moodle (from ETS, examview, etc).

I have a hunch that one of the above open ed sites may have content available but it is hard for me to find.  Partly, I don't know what to call it.

me at a FIRST robotics competition
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

I think this is a great idea, but as far as I can see on my Moodle v1.9 I can't classify a question by Outcome (standard). I would love to see an open question bank even if it wasn't standards aligned and just sortable, searchable by overal topic.

There was a database of question banks folks had uploaded I had found a while ago, but can't find now.

The problem I have with sharing our site questions is they are a blend of teacher created and textbook authored questions which we uploaded via examview plugin or by reformating into Aiken format and uploading.

However, again I would love to see some open content question banks.

Picture of Tyler Borek

Hey all, Sorry to be so late to the game. My friend and I are working on exactly this resource for math. If we're successful there, we are hoping to expand to other subjects. If you're still interested in this idea, I would love to discuss with you. All best, Tyler

Picture of jon modica

Nutmeg Education has a custom quiz creator that uses a question bank aligned to the commoncore!

www.NutmegEducation.com

Picture of Ryan Sager

Examview has this now through OnCore math books.