Problems Creating Repository in 2.0

Problems Creating Repository in 2.0

by Hal Medrano -
Number of replies: 4

This is making me bald and ulcerous. All I want to do is upload about 25 file presentations - all in their own folders with a neat little HTML page to host the Flash player. I've done the following:

• created a new folder within my repository folder
  • uploaded my Flash/HTML folders within that parent folder via FTP
  • navigated Site Administration --> Plugins --> Repositories --> Manage Repositories and enabled File System
  • clicked Settings --> create a repository instance...

...and here's where I get the error message: "You need to create at least one folder inside the /u0/webroot/moodledata/blahblah.com/repository/ directory so you can select it here."

YAAAAHHHHH!!!! I've read the documentation, and followed enough tutorials just to go through the steps above. WHY IS THIS SO FREAKING DIFFICULT?

Thanks in advance for any help that doesn't involve watching the same videos and reading the same documentation I've spent the last 8 hours watching and reading.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Hal Medrano

Re: Problems Creating Repository in 2.0

by Fernando Hernandez -

I agree. If there is one thing that I think is absolutely anti-user it is the repository. It seems that the programmers never thought of users when they worked on this module. Why is this thing so damn hard to use? I really thought that 2.0 would be a user's dream, instead it has for me become a nightmare.  I will stick with 1.9 so as to able to manage my files without problems.  A quick look at the feedback on repositories should give all an indication of how poorly this has been implemented.  I spent a couple of hours trying to figure out the repositories and I think I finally figured out how to do it.  But I found the process very, very tedious.  What makes this even harder is the instruction sets are not clear.  This really needs to be fixed so that the whole repository thing is easier to use.  Take a cue from Apple and think of your users.

This is not what I have come to expect from Moodle!

In reply to Hal Medrano

by Ginger England -

I am having the same problem.  Did you find an answer? 

In reply to Ginger England

by Nicolas Dunand -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers

Hello,

I'm actually using this "File System" repository, which allows to use a part of the file system of the server as a repository (for uploading documents there if you have FTP or SSH access, and then for selecting them from the File Picker). The thing is, the "File System" repository (i.e. any of its instances) uses a subfolder of the folder /path/to/moodledata/repository/ folder (where "/path/to/moodledata/" is your Moodle data folder on your server, which you defined when installing Moodle). Sor for instance I created the subfolder "FS_repo" on my server ; I can then select it in the drop-down list when adding an instance of this repository.

In reply to Nicolas Dunand

by Thomas Eibel -

I wonder, if this is intended or if this is a bug.

Shouldnt it be possible to creat this folder as an Admin from within moodle?