I have been following the recent discussion about CMS with interest and have downloaded and played with a few now. None of the ones I've looked at really fit the bill. They tend to be overkill and very slow (like ezPublish) or very confusing for luddites (like etomite).
I am looking for something a little like Moodle to organise a school website and act as a portal to Moodle and consistently styled user home pages. I want to enable users to have home pages within its structure and to be able to organise the home pages in categories (teachers, admin, students by year). A gallery and top level news items would be a bonus. I want to be able to secure the whole site, but enable limited guest access. Many of my teachers find eMail and MSWord confronting so it has to be clean and simple to move about in. Oh, did I mention DMS capability?
One of the CMS' I've looked at probably does this, but I'm feeling a little dazed at the moment - I've played with
- AngelineCMS - couldn't get past start, broken code or installation.
- ezPublish - promising but very slow.
- PostNuke - clean but very confusing to a novice administrator.
- Etomite - I found its system of folders and opening pages in a window very off putting.
- Moodle - brilliant but not really adapted to free form home pages.
I guess most of these are aimed squarely at businesses and do that very well. I need someting aimed at organising a community in which Moodle will happily reside. Gee, it would be great if they could share logins.
Happy New Year all you Moodlers