Quiz

Fast gradeable essay questions

Picture of Roan Meulblok
Fast gradeable essay questions

Hello,

I want to create a quiz with about 50 questions with short answers. But the answers can not be matched to wildcards, so they have to be manually graded.

Is there a way to create a list of essay questions that can easily be graded? 

Making all of the questions seperate essay questions would work, however it would take a long time to go through the manual grade interface for every question. A setup which would for example list the answers with a small grade box behind it would be ideal.

I hope the question is clear enough smile

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Joseph Rézeau
Re: Fast gradeable essay questions
Core developersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developersTestersTranslators

Hi Roan,

How long/short are the answers you expect to get from those questions? If the SHORTANSWER question type does not work for your needs, and the expected answers are fairly short you might consider using the (3rd-party) REGEXP question type.

Version for moodle 1.9 is OK. Version for moodle 2.0 work in progress.

Joseph

Tim at Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary
Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Have you found the bulk manual grading interface. In the quiz, go to Results -> Manual grading (in 1.9 that is in the tab strip, in 2.0 it is in the navigation block.)

Picture of Roan Meulblok

@Joseph

The questions are short sentences, which might also contain some spelling errors. Manually grading would probably be the easiest way.

I can't look at the regexp question at the moment because it is not approved yet. I am using moodle 2.0, so it would still be in the works for me as you said.

@Tim

I found the manual grading interface, where you can select a question and then grade all entries of that question. It does not allow me to select a student and manually grade all of his entries, which would be a solution to my problem. (Or at least, I missed how I could do that smile )

Core developersDocumentation writersParticularly helpful MoodlersPlugin developers

Yes, that interface is designed for grading all the attempts and one question, rather than all the questions in one student's attempt.

Picture of Sharon Strauss
Testers

I think that is my question too. Is there a way to get a report of all the answers for each student, grouped by the student. For example:

Student 1:

• essay #1 response
  • essay #2 response
  • essay #3 response

Student 2:

• essay #1 response
  • essay #2 response
  • essay #3 response

etc.?

Not in a way that lets you grade them.

Testers

How about in a way just lets you view them? I don't need to grade them. I just want to print them out for review.

If you are in 2.0 or later, go to Quiz -> Results -> Responses.

In 1.9, you can install the Detailed responses quiz report to get the same functionality.

Testers

Thanks! I'll give that a try.