quiz grading functionality in HotPot

quiz grading functionality in HotPot

by Katie Fraser -
Number of replies: 9

Hello,

I am trying to become familiar with HotPot (I use Moodle 2.0) and would like to know whether this module would allow me to potentially redirect students to the beginning of a lesson as soon as they have answered more than the allowable amount incorrectly on a quiz.  I don't want them to see the correct answers or the remaining questions once they have missed more than is allowable to pass.  (In the lesson and quiz activities, for example, I see no way to only show results on the condition that a certain grade is met. I also don't see a way to force a return to the beginning of lesson).   I'm hoping HotPot is the solution!...?

This also presumes that students would only have access to one question at at a time. I'm not entire clear yet on the difference between Hotpot and Hot potatoes (which is referenced in another post about this issue for Moodle 1.9), but I'm presuming this is possible in Moodle 2.0?

I'm at a stand still in my course development because of this issue and very much appreciate an insight!

Thank you-

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Katie Fraser

Re: quiz grading functionality in HotPot

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Katie,

the stumbling block is this bit:

I don't want them to see the correct answers or the remaining questions once they have missed more than is allowable to pass

As far as I know, none of Moodle's standard activities have this ability to force an abort halfway through the activity if the projected final score will not be high enough sad, so you may have to modify your strategy.

My best suggestion is this ...

1. create a JQuiz with way more questions than you intend to ask each student in a single attempt at the quiz. For example, if you intend to ask 10 questions, then create 50 questions in the JQuiz, but set the number of questions to be displayed in a single attempt to 10 (Configure options -> Other -> Show limited number of questions)
  2. create a HotPot activity in your Moodle 2.0 site, and upload the JQuiz as the source file
  3. enable Moodle 2.0 conditional access, if you haven't already done so (Site administration -> Advanced features)
  4. edit the Lesson activity, locate the "Restrict access" section (at the bottom of the page) and add a "Grade condition", such that the Lesson activity cannot be attempted until the required score has been achieved on the HotPot activity

That should do more or less what you want, although you will probably need to create more questions in the JQuiz than you originally envisioned.

Out of interest, what's the plan for students who do not attain the minimum HotPot score required to access the Lesson?

HTH
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

I see you already discussed some of your methodology over on the quiz forum. It would have been useful to have included a link to that discussion when you started this thread.

Gordon

by Katie Fraser -

Hi Gordon,

Thank you for the recommendation. I'm assuming you suggest making lots more questions in JQuiz so that if students don't get a passing score after answering all of the questions and have to retake the quiz in order to meet conditional activity, that they aren't taking the quiz again with the same questions? Also, is there a way to force a student back to beginning to of lesson (or even back to the course page where activities are listed and the lesson can be selected) so that they could review the lesson material again, rather than redirected back to the quiz again?

Also, apologies for not linking abovementioned post! I'm afraid it never occured to me that I could do so (your talking with a true Moodle novice!) nor that it would be particularly helpful as it seemed to be a less concise version of what I resposted smile In any case - appreciate the feedback.

Katie

In reply to Katie Fraser

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Katie,
thanks for the extra info. You asked a couple of questions:

I'm assuming you suggest making lots more questions in JQuiz so that if students don't get a passing score after answering all of the questions and have to retake the quiz in order to meet conditional activity, that they aren't taking the quiz again with the same questions?

Yes, that's it exactly.

Also, is there a way to force a student back to beginning to of lesson (or even back to the course page where activities are listed and the lesson can be selected) so that they could review the lesson material again, rather than redirected back to the quiz again?

The HotPot module for Moodle 2.0 allows you to create an "Exit page". You could add some text there, that looked something like this:

If you scored lower than 80% on this activity, you should click the following link, re-study the previous Lesson, and then try this activity again:

If you scored more the 80% you can go on to the next lesson:

Of course this is not automatic, but it is clear, and you will achieve your objective as long as you use the "Moodle 2.0 conditional access" to prevent access to any lesson until the score for the preceeding HotPot has been achieved.

regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (3)

by Jeff Finnan -

Hi Gordon,

While I am going to not dabble with 2.0 for a goodly while, couldn't this approach be accomplished via QuizPort/TaskChain? And even set it to go to some remedial html page for review before reattempting?

Later,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Jeff,

yes, as you say, this could certainly done much more elegantly - and more automatically - with QuizPort (for Moodle 1.9). However, Katie is using Moodle 2.0, and what is more she has told us she is failrly new to Moodle, so I didn't mention anything other than what she can actually do with the tools she has to hand.

When TaskChain (for Moodle 2.0) comes out, it will handle this situation very nicely smile

regards
Gordon

by Katie Fraser -

Hmm... interesting.   My aversion to writing 5x more questions is making me wonder whether I should consider downgrading to 1.9 for the quizport feature...  As a 2.0 moodler, would navigating 1.9 be intuitive, or much different from 2.0?  Don't have much time left for a steep learning curve at this point.

I'm also inclined to ask (forgive me!) whether is there any speculation on when TaskChain for 2.0 might be available?

It's all very exciting smile

In reply to Katie Fraser

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Katie,

whichever module or Moodle version you choose to deliever the quiz questions to students, I highly recommend you make more than 10 questions, as it will be trivial for students to note down the 10 correct answers, and then pass the "test" without necessarily understanding why the answers are correct.

Navigation through the Moodle 1.9 pages requires lots of clicking and waiting for pages to load, whereas Moodle 2.0 has its groovy expandable navigation menu, so that you can quickly expand the part of the menu you want and then just click once to load the page you want.

TaskChain (for Moodle 2.0) might be available in the summer - I plan to make a presentation about it at EuroCALL 2011 at the end of August.

My personal suggestion would be to continue with the HotPot module for Moodle 2.0 for now, and look forward to TaskChain when it comes.

regards
Gordon

by Katie Fraser -

In regards to your question, my goal is for all students to be able to access the first lesson and subsequent quiz. they must get 80% correct on the quiz in order to proceed. If they don't get 80% correct, they have to review the material in the lesson again (and again and again...) until they have satisfactorily met the 80% or better condition to proceed (thereby demonstrating sufficient retention of lesson material). there is no time limit to complete the course.