I just wanna say - Praise to you Janne!!

I just wanna say - Praise to you Janne!!

av W Page -
Antall svar: 9

Hello All!

I have been checking out a lot of CMSs/LMSs/LCMSs lately.  I have a few web pages I need to post that are very long [40-60 pages].  I have been looking for something that is not to complicated but will give the presentation of these pages some structure, decent navigation and pleasant layout.  During my travels into this content management sea there is one thing that stands out.

Moodle has the best HTMLEditor with the best functions out there [AFAIK].  Janne [MoodleMaster Programmer] along with some other contributing Moodlers deserve praise for that.

Check out some of the other software out there and you will find out what I am talking about.

I have been having a problem trying to get large documents posted in Moodle and the other programs.  However, in Moodle the pages display perfectly as formatted [Cut & Paste] up to a certain point.  Then the pages are cut off.  The other programs reformatted the page and did not provide any tools to correct it.

Yes, I know I could just link to a web page but it looks much nicer when it opens inside of Moodle [including the "POP UP" window].

QUESTION & FEATURE REQUESTS

QUESTION

• Is there a way to get very long HTML documents posted in entirety using the HTMLEditor?

FEATURE REQUESTS [Will also place in "Bugs"]

• Could character length be part of the HTMLEditor GUI in Admin?
    • With one of the choices "infinity".
    • With the ability of Teachers in individual courses to adjust the character length?
  • Could there be a way [Button] to put in page breaks?

Thank you Janne for your help and guiding hand in developing an important part of MoodleThank you Martin for your  encouragement of collaborative work in Moodle

WP1

Gjennomsnittlig vurdering: -
Som svar til W Page

Re: I just wanna say - Praise to you Janne!!

av Janne Mikkonen -
rødmer rødmer rødmer

All thanks to Mihai Bazon for the great editor and all moodle users that have spent their time testing it.

40 - 60 pages? That's massive blunker and memory consuming, it must be sticky to use after pasting such amount of text???. I think you should break those documents into chapters first.

Answer to question:  Since this editor isn't a "real" word prosessing software, no I don't there is a way.

Feature request:
  1. Character lengt, could be possible but the length should be checked after every key stroke which increase the memory usage (client side).
  2. Do you mean ability to break one big document automatically into ones?
- Janne -
Som svar til W Page

av Ralf Hilgenstock -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Translators
Hi WP1,

why didn't you use the book module or a teacher wiki.
Ralf
Som svar til Ralf Hilgenstock

av W Page -
Hi Janne & Ralf!!!!

I was really just testing the
MoodleEditor out. I did this after trying to use the editors in some CMS programs and saw how "feature-less" they were. Also, I saw how they can really mess-up the formatting and did not have the tools to correct it. Moodle does none of this.

As I noted above, I could not get the entire document posted in
Moodle but what displayed was exactly as it was in the HTML document or .DOC document.

I do not want to use
Moodle for this particular project. It is more suited for the layout of phpNuke, postNuke, eTomite. Their editors however are inadequate. I tried to install Typo3 to see if that could do the job and became exhausted trying to figure out how to install it. Also, it appears one has to have a separate database to use with the program. I do not have this right now.

I notice on Drupal and Mambo that one could cut a document into several pages using a button that inserts code for this purpose at the bottom of the editor window in
Mambo and typing in the code in Drupal. However, with both programs all the code goes into the same window.

I only suggested the character counter as an option for instructors who want to limit responses in forums etc..  and a way to allow large posts.

My problem may be browser and computer based so I am going to try it on a different borwser and much faster machine.  I will post the results here.

Janne, do you think it would be possible to add HTML windows as necessary and have them create additional pages so long documents could be loaded that way. In other words, have a check box asking for an additional HTMLEditor window. Then after the information in the present window is saved, another box is created? It just provides another way to present material. But maybe Petr's Page Resource already does this. I will check it out.

Anyway, thanks again for your work on the
MoodleEditor.

WP1
Som svar til W Page

av Janne Mikkonen -
I know what you mean blunker I've also been searching hours for suitable CMS for my needs with proper editor (I've also been looking for better editor than HTMLArea and still haven't find one. FCKeditor is close but It take ages to load ).  I got tired and made my own.

We should also remember that we are using TEXT or BLOB as a database field that can have character length of 65535 (2^16-1). If the character length exeeds that, everything what goes over that is left out.
Som svar til Janne Mikkonen

av W Page -

Hi Janne!

In my travels through CMSs about this issue, I found that one CMS uses "MEDIUMTEXT" as  the actual database field for the content.  "MEDIUMTEXT" is suppose to hold 16MB of information (I think).  I was able to load a 40 page document in HTML format into their browser after I switched to the HTMLarea editor in their software.  However, it did not layout as well as it does in the MoodleEditor.

Now I have to admit to you, I do not know what "BLOB" or "MEDIUMTEXT" means or implies in terms of functionality.  BTW, what do they mean or imply in terms of functionality? stort smil

Also, I was able to load the document into their demo by using a P3 computer and IE6 so there is some OS and browser baseline needs or interactions necessary to achieve this. 

WP1

Som svar til W Page

av Janne Mikkonen -
TEXT is synonym for BLOB and MEDIUMTEXT is synonym for MEDIUMBLOB
(cut 'n' paste from MySQL manual):
TINYBLOB
TINYTEXT
A BLOB or TEXT column with a maximum length of 255 (2^8 - 1) characters.
BLOB
TEXT
A BLOB or TEXT column with a maximum length of 65535 (2^16 - 1) characters.
MEDIUMBLOB
MEDIUMTEXT
A BLOB or TEXT column with a maximum length of 16777215 (2^24 - 1) characters.
LONGBLOB
LONGTEXT
A BLOB or TEXT column with a maximum length of 4294967295 (2^32 - 1) characters. Note that because the server/client protocol and MyISAM tables has currently a limit of 16M per communication packet / table row, you can't yet use this the whole range of this type.

I think the CMS you're trying is using editor that is more closer to the original one than ours. The editor in Moodle does have some strong modifications.

- Janne -
Som svar til Janne Mikkonen

av W Page -

Hi Janne!

Thanks for the explanation.  I have bookmarked it.

I understand about the "longblob", but would Moodle's modifications still allow for a "mediumblob"?? blunker

WP1

Som svar til W Page

av Martin Dougiamas -
Bilde av Core developers Bilde av Documentation writers Bilde av Moodle HQ Bilde av Particularly helpful Moodlers Bilde av Plugin developers Bilde av Testers
There are several limits at work here.  One is the Moodle database table, that's true, but this is easily fixed using phpmyadmin on your own Moodle database to change the type of the field to MEDIUMTEXT.  For example, if you're talking about resources, then edit the "resource' table.

There is also the limit of a form.  PHP has limits on how much information it will accept from a form (this setting is in php.ini).

Finally, there may be memory limits in the actual textarea within the browser and perhaps even the editor itself ... I don't know what these might be (might be something you want to find for us, WP).

Really, if you want to publish large documents the best way is to edit them using a proper editor and upload the file to Moodle, then link to it.

Som svar til Martin Dougiamas

av W Page -
Hi Martin!

Thanks for your comments.

"Finally, there may be memory limits in the actual textarea within the browser and perhaps even the editor itself ... I don't know what these might be (might be something you want to find for us, WP)."

OK!  I will put this on my task list.  I just found out about all this while trying to load large documents into some CMSs and Moodle.

WP1