Sort forum posts by user?

Sort forum posts by user?

by Steve Hyndman -
Number of replies: 6

Hello everyone,

I'm looking for a way to sort forum posts by user without having to click on each individual users profile to see their posts. I'll be using Moodle for this first time this term with three of my classes...about 30 students each. I'm teaching the same course [graduate educational technology course] to all three classes, so I have set up one course and will be using groups.

This is a web-assisted course and I asychronous discussions extensively for four of my online-modules in the course. I will have hundreds of posts/replies in the discussion forums and would like to be able to sort by user and just scroll down to get a quick shap-shot of student participation so I can quickly see who may not be providing much input.

I don't think this is available through any "point and click" settings, but I thought someone may have a code hack for this?

Thanks.

Steve

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Steve Hyndman

Re: Sort forum posts by user?

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
An overview report like that for the whole class, available directly from the forum, would be a great idea.

In the meantime, for individual activity reports more detailed than the user profile page, click on "Activity Report" and then Complete Report.
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Mary Beth McKee -

I realize the original post is dated 2005, but this would still be a helpful feature.  More faculty are grading forums for class participation, and they would love this feature.

In reply to Mary Beth McKee

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi MB,

It isn't exactly what you're asking for, but there is something else you can do in 1.9 (and no doubt in 2 but I haven't tested):

• Grade the student's posts using the rating system.

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Mary Beth McKee -

Hi Glenys,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, our faculty are already using the rating option to grade, but they use various grading structures.  Sometimes they rate the orginal post, rate replies to other posts, and use the sum feature to calculalte the final grade.

Sorting would be great, so they could group together posts made by the same person.  Thanks again,

Mary Beth

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Mary Beth,

I use forum rating to encourage students to write in forums and indicate to them they're on the right track, but I decide on the final grade by looking at all their forum posts in the Activity Report which does group together all the posts of a given students. Yes, it does take some time, but I generally only do it once at the end of a course. The rating system alerts me via the grade book to any students who are not writing regularly in forums and for those I go and look in the Activity Report during the course.

I tell students that Moodle gives scores during the course, but the teacher gives the final grade.

Cheers,

Glenys

by Itamar Tzadok -

I absolutely agree with the requirement although not necessarily with its application by your faculty. A work to that effect on a different module is in progress (see image for illustration). May not be useful to you but just in case ...

smile