Hide course list on the navigation page of Home page unless the user logs in

Hide course list on the navigation page of Home page unless the user logs in

by Ujjawal Bhandari -
Number of replies: 20

HI,

I am using Moodle 2.0. It is great so far.

I am trying to achieve something here.

On the main page before the user signs in, my course lists are displayed.

I do not want unauthorised users to view the course list.

How do I go about achieving this capability.

Thanks

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ujjawal Bhandari

Re: Hide course list on the navigation page of Home page unless the user logs in

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Do you mean the course list that is in the middle of the page? If so then you can change this in site admin>front page>front page settings and change "non-logged in users"options to "none" Then the list only appears once logged in. If you mean the courses block at the side then you can hide this until users have logged in by turning on the editing, clickin on the assingn roles icon of the block and then in the settings block to the side, click on permissions and prevent guests from viewing the block

In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Hide course list on the navigation page of Home page unless the user logs in

by Ujjawal Bhandari -

The second answer was the solution to my issue. Thanks....

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mike deSimon -

Mary,

Do you know a way to hide the page list on the home page? I added a page resource to the home page but I don't want to show the link on the home page. I only want it linkable. Any idea how to hide it?

In reply to Mike deSimon

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Mark - which Moodle version are you using?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mike deSimon -

Mary,
We are using 2.01

In reply to Mike deSimon

Re: Show page on front page as a link

by Mary Cooch -

Use the main menu block -add your page there -get its URL; hide the main menu block with the eye and then paste the URL into wherever you want to make it as a link. It will still show even though the main menu block is hidden.

EDIT - no - sorry - the page will still appear in site pages in the navigation block  once logged in  -I presume that's what you are trying to hide -  I will have another think...mixed

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sri Harsha Honsogae -

I am trying to hide the Navigation block at the side in moodle 2.1.1 but when I click on the assign roles icon in the navigation block it says: Front Page Roles You are not able to assign any roles here. Any suggestion to get past this? 

In reply to Sri Harsha Honsogae

by Mary Cooch -

Sri - on the front page, turn on the editing and then click the assign roles icon, Then instead of looking in the centre of the page where you were before, go down the left side to a block "settings" and click "permissions" Then remove the permission to view the block from a guest.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sri Harsha Honsogae -

Thanks a lot for the quick reply, that worked. Its not very intutive though smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Sri Harsha Honsogae -

I just installed Moodle 2.1.1 from Bitnami (bitnami.org) I see that the blocks are not displayed in the front page. I want to show the login block here. I see the permissions is set properly but still the login block is not show. What else needs to be set, any idea? 

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Jim Curran -

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

I've been searching forums forever for this. I agree it is not very intuitive, but it is VERY helpful to have.

Mary, you are my new hero!

In reply to Jim Curran

by ben reynolds -

Stealing @Moodleman's Twitter image to give Mary a new badge.Man opening suitcoast to reveal a Superman like Moodle symbol.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Mary Cooch -

Oh thankyoubig grinkiss

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mohammed Abdulaziz -

Hi Mary...

I have followed your instruction as mentioned

"If you mean the courses block at the side then you can hide this until users have logged in by turning on the editing, clickin on the assingn roles icon of the block and then in the settings block to the side, click on permissions and prevent guests from viewing the block"

But when clicking on assign roles icon i get the following error

"Assign roles in Block: NavigationHelp with Assign roles 

You are not able to assign any roles here"

In reply to Mohammed Abdulaziz

by Mary Cooch -

Hi there. Scroll down a bit further down the page and you will see a settings block like the screenshot. Click "permissions" and you will then be able to allow or prevent users from seeing the block

by Mohammed Abdulaziz -

Please ignore this...   Just got exactly what you meant...   though Thanks for the info

by Andreu Martí -

Dear Mary,

Another thank you for your valuable help.. I've been looking for the way of hidding the Navigation block of the home page, and only have seen the "You are not able to assign any roles here" message.

Thnaks thanks!

andreu.-

In reply to Andreu Martí

by Danilo Rončević -

Thanks a lot,

it was bothering me for the last two months. Now it's hidden for guests. Yeaaaah

In reply to Ujjawal Bhandari

by Christian Rosenbleck -
Hi, we are using Moodle 2.7.3 and I am also trying to hide the course list from unauthorized viewers. I have set the frontpage to only show news for users that are not logged in and to show news and courses for logged in users. I can hide the Navigation block for guest users, but if I do a google search for one of our teachers, the second result is a link to the moodle course list which shows the list of courses (…). We want to hide this list from the general public accessing it via google search, but I couldn't find the appropriate option. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance, Christian