HotPot miniMoot

HotPot miniMoot

by Gordon Bateson -
Number of replies: 35
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear HotPotters, QuizPorters and TaskChainers,

I wonder if anyone is interested in participating in a HotPot miniMoot in Aug 2011? It would be our miniMoot, especially for us - the members of this forum and users of the HotPot, QuizPort and TaskChain modules.

I intend to be in the UK for the EuroCALL 2011 conference (Aug 31st - Sept 3rd) in Nottingham, but I will also be in the vicinity of London for a few weeks before that, so I thought it would be interesting to have a one-day miniMoot, with a special focus on the HotPot, QuizPort and TaskChain modules.

The miniMoot could be physically located anywhere that is within 4 hours of London - that includes Brussles and Paris. I was thinking we could meet, show what we have done with the modules, talk about principles for using the technology efficiently and effectively, exchange notes on what works and what doesn't, and gather ideas for taking the software forward into Moodle 2.0 and beyond. Also, I am keen simply to meet members of this community face-to-face, and chat about ... well, anything.

Would you be interestined in attending? Could you suggest a physical location to hold the miniMoot?

regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Gordon Bateson

Re: HotPot miniMoot

by Philippe Decloitre -

I, for one, would certainly be interested!
I am located in Rouen _one hour by train_ but could probably find a university that would provide space in or around Paris.

This said, I would probably attend in London also.

Philippe

by Jeff Finnan -

Hmmm, sounds tempting. I just might show up. My summer is getting booked up. I will just see what the rest of you decide.

Later,

Jeff

In reply to Jeff Finnan

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi everybody,

I'm tempted too...

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Deborah Delin -

I would love to participate......

I have to be in London for a wedding in June - but I could try and wangle another visit.   I probably wouldn't be able to commit till nearer the time.

Deborah

In reply to Deborah Delin

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Of course I am tempted too -London or thereabouts would be best for me -I am in the Uk most of August -let's keep talking.

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi there,

I'm also interested ...the venue? somewhere, anywhere

The eralier I know of fixed dates and location, the better since I can even get my travel funded...

Stan

In reply to Stan Bogdanov

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Gosh, it would be great if we could all meet !

As for the dates, I was thinking of one day between Aug 20th (Sat) and Aug 28th (Sun). My preferred day would be ... Aug 26th (Fri).

If people are coming from afar then probably a big city would offer better transport and accommodation possiblities, so I suggest London or Paris.

Phillippe has offered to find a meeting room in a university in Paris, which would be great. Phillippe - can you proceed with those enquiries, and see if you can find a room, for up to 30 people, with an fast internet connection and a big screen and computer projector , for one of those days in late August? We could probably raise a small amount of money for room hire.

If anyone else has ideas for a venue, please speak up. I think we can do this in some form or other.

regards
Gordon

by Philippe Decloitre -

Sure I'll look into it this week.
Dates: ranging from 20th to 26th.
30 People and all the rest of it...smile

Philippe

by Judy Steidl -

I'm tempted to suggest San Diego, CA USA. approve

Will some form of iMoot or screencast video recordings be possible when the new HotPot module is finished for Moodle 2.0?

In reply to Judy Steidl

by Gordon Bateson -

San Diego? How about March 2012?

Should have some screencasts by then smile

by Judy Steidl -

By then I might even know what I am doing!  approve

In reply to Judy Steidl

by Gordon Bateson -

HI Phillippe,

did you have a chance to check possible venues in Paris? I am anxious to fix a time and place as soon as we can, so that people can make travel arrangements.

If Paris looks like being difficult, please let me know, and I will try to find somewhere in the London area.

cheers
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi everybody,

we have one possible venue in Paris for Aug 22nd (Mon) and 23rd (Tue). I suggest we aim for the 23rd, so that people coming from a long way off can arrive on 22nd ready for a bright and early start on the 23rd.

We need to book the rooms quickly so please let us know ASAP what you think about these dates.

cheers
Gordon

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi everybody,

To add to what Gordon's said about the possibility in Paris and to help you make your decision, it's possible to reserve cheap bedrooms but that has to be done quickly too.

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Gordon Bateson -

Calling all European HotPotters,

please let us know today or tomorrow whether you are at all interested in attending the HotPot miniMoot in Paris on Aug 23rd (Tue).

The venue has bedrooms, serves meals, and has a decent size presentation room with internet connection and computer screen projector.

We hope to present, demonstrate and discuss any and all matters connected with Hot Potatoes, the HotPot module, the QuizPort module and the TaskChain module.

please reply to this post on the Moodle HotPot forum, or send me a personal email:

• gordon at-sign kanazawa hyphen gu dot ac dot jp

best regards
Gordon

by Deborah Delin -

I would love to come but won't know if I can till nearer the date.  Which I realise is not much use.  Sorry.

Deborah

In reply to Deborah Delin

by Gordon Bateson -

Thanks Deborah. Intention is fine at this point. We won't hold you to anything, but we would like to get feeling for how much interest there is.

I intend to create an video stream of proceedings for people to watch, and we can set up a twitter feed as a "back channel" to receive comments and questions. I would like to gather at least 10 people in person though, so it's not just me and Glenys speaking to an empty auditorium !!

the more the merrier smile
Gordon

by Jeff Finnan -

This American Hotpotter will be there. The 22nd is my 30th wedding aniversary. My wife and I will be coming in for the weekend and stay over.

Later,

Jeff

by Marcus Green -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Very interested indeed.

Marcus

In reply to Marcus Green

by Gordon Bateson -

Thank you for stepping forward Jeff and Marcus. This is looking very promising. Glenys I will send you a private email about bookings and logistics.

regards
Gordon

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi,

I'm also interested

Stan

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ok - count me in!smile

(edit -I am coming, but will be part of the audience, if you don't mind - by August will have had enough of speaking and looking forward to listening insteadwink)

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Judy Steidl -

I will be attending vicariously from San Diego, CA  USA. Have a great time and I hope many screencast training videos will be posted as a result.  From all of us who want to use HotPot more, thanks to all for your hard work!

In reply to Judy Steidl

by Gordon Bateson -

Stan, Mary, Judy, thanks for writing in.

Looks like we have a critical mass now, so Glenys and I will go ahead and book the conference room, and post instrunctions on how to book accommodation. You can make reservations in English, and pay in Euros.

game on!
Gordon

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi there,

is the miniMoot going to happen? Any news?

Cheers

Stan

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Stan,

yes we are still on course. The room is booked and several people have publicly declared their intention to attend. I have bought my airline tickets and will confirm accommodation soon.

I would like to set up a website as a central place to collect and disseminate information. I am a little snowed under at the moment, as my university's new school year has just got underway, so all offers of help wil be most welcome.

Gordon

by Albert Fisher -

Hi Gordon,

I will come for sure, along with 1 probable and 1 maybe. Thanks for your help and quick responses over the last few years and for this initiative. If I can help, please ask. If I can, I will.

Albert

In reply to Albert Fisher

by Gordon Bateson -

Great news Albert. I am pleased to hear you can come !

I have begun building a Moodle site to colect and disseminate information about the event. I have in mind something like the sites that are used for the Moodle Association of Japan:

If you are familiar with building a Moodle site, we could use your skills there. We are also looking to formalize a program for the event, so if you would like to help with the coordination of that, it would be very helpful.

Here is the fledgling site:

regards
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

!! =============== BIG NEWS =============== !!

I have created the beginnings of the Moodle site we can use to coordinate the HotPot miniMoot in Paris, 23rd Aug 2011.

If you are interested in this conference, please create a username on the above site and enrol in the "2011 Paris" course, where you can register your intent to attend, and submit details of any presentations you would like to make.

The working language of the conference will be English, but if anyone would like to translate any part of the site, please let me know, and I will arrange for you to get editing rights.

There are still many details to arrange along the way, but as far as I am concerned the event will definitely take place. I have bought my plane tickets, my train tickets and my hotel reservations. I am already looking forward to meeting everyone!

regards
Gordon

by Albert Fisher -

Hi Gordon,

I will be able to let you know about help with the site in a day or two.

For coordination, could you give me some rough guidance as to what you want, what is needed? If it's too granular/long for this forum, you can maybe email me at albertfisher1 at gmail dot com; otherwise via the forum is ok with me.

Kind regards,

Albert

In reply to Albert Fisher

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Albert,

There is now a forum on the HotPot miniMoots site. I think that would be a good place to discuss the organisation of the site and the miniMoot itself.

It's open to everyone. wink

Cheers,

Glenys

by Alexander Imig -

Hello Gordon, Hello all,

although I am using Hot-Potatoes and Moodle for several years I am new a this forum. Gordon, we met each other at the Moodle Mot Kochi this year.

I will be in Europe this summer and also attending EuroCall in Nottingham, but my students will arrive at 25th in Frankfurt and I need preparation-time for this, so I think I won't make to Paris (it's a pitty). But I am very interessted in the HotPot Mini Moot for several reasons. One is that I will present in Nottingham about Moodle and (teachers) research. Therefore some of the results of the HotPot mini Moot could be interessting for me. What do you recommend: Shall I enroll myself in the course (quizport.com) although I won't take part or shall I rely on the infos of this forum? What do you recommend?

asks

Alexander

In reply to Alexander Imig

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Alexander,
how nice to see you here! I suggest you sign up for the moodle.quizport.com "2011 Paris" course so that you can keep up with the news there.

I am considering doing a live webcam of the mini-Moot event, which you may be interested in viewing. If that is not possible, I hope to at least video some presentations, and make those available online.

I will also be in Nottingham, so I hope we can meet up there smile

regards
Gordon

Ang: Re: HotPot miniMoot

by Barfuss Ruge -

Hi smile

How often do you do these HotPot mini-moots in Europe?

Best Regards

Barfuss

In reply to Barfuss Ruge

Re: Ang: Re: HotPot miniMoot

by Gordon Bateson -

Actually this is the first one, but hopefully we can do more in the future, wherever and whenever there is sufficient interest.

regards
Gordon