Why do only certain items have multiplicator & offset boxes?

Why do only certain items have multiplicator & offset boxes?

by MP Rogers -
Number of replies: 5

I am relatively new to Moodle, so forgive my ignorance ... but in my gradebook, some of my items have multiplicator and offset boxes, some do not.  The ones that have the boxes are lacking a calculator icon in the Actions column, and vice-versa.

What have I done?  smile  And more to the point, what can I do so that I can add an offset (aka bonus points) to my categories.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Michael

In reply to MP Rogers

Re: Why do only certain items have multiplicator & offset boxes?

by Itamar Tzadok -

There are two types of grade items in the gradebook. Those which are generated automatically for the activities you create in your course and those you add manually in the gradebook (including categories for which the category total is the grade item). The former support multiplicator and offset but not formulas (aka calculator smile); the latter support formulas by means of which you can offset or multiply and many other things.

Now, whatever grade manipulation you do the adjustment cannot push the grade above the max or below the min. In the activity grade items the max/min is determined in the activity settings and cannot be changed in the gradebook. In the gradebook grade items you can set any max/min you want.

So, you can offset the grade of an activity grade item but those who scored max points will not benefit from this bonus. If by any chance you actually mean extra credit then it's a whole different story.

hth smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by MP Rogers -

Thank you, Itamar, that is very helpful.

So, if I have, say, a quiz score that I have added manually, is it correct that I cannot add an offset directly to it?  I could use that in a calculation somewhere else, but if I just entered 50 scores, and wanted to bump them all up by an offset, I couldn't do so?

Based on a small experiment, it looks like the answer is yes.  For instance, if I have an item called quiz1, then in the calculation for quiz1, Moodle dislikes =[[quiz1]+5.

I understand why -- it's infinite recursion -- but this would mean that for every quiz I create, I need two columns -- one for "raw score", the other for the adjusted score.  That seems cumbersome, so is there a better way?

Thanks for any insights,

Michael

In reply to MP Rogers

by Itamar Tzadok -

If I understand you correctly, you wanted to record in the gradebook results of an offline quiz and so you added a gradebook grade item and updated the students' scores directly there. If that's correct, the simplest (and quite effective) way to offset the students' scores for this item is to download (export) these scores from the gradebook to excel, offset there and upload (import) back to the gradebook. Moreover, for future such cases it should be more efficient to first record the students' scores in excel and then bulk upload them, than to update the scores one by one in the gradebook. You can also upload feedback with the score so this is a really effective way for online recording of offline scores.   smile

by MP Rogers -

What I did was create a separate category called "Raw Data", and then use grade items there to calculate grade items in the Quiz category.  It seems to work out well, and I find it easier than uploading and downloading grades into a separate program.

The only thing that I can't do easily (yet) is see summary statistics -- how many got A's, B's, range, standard deviation, etc., etc.

Thanks again for your help,

Michael

by Miro Iliaš -

Dear Itamar,

so, manually added items do not have multiplicator and offset boxes, as I have found.

However,  for evaluating the total grade I need to combine some activity grades - like attendance, one, two quizes - and also grades from some manually added items (classic paper tests). How to do that please ?

Best, Miro