hotpot 2.0 "student feedback" issues

hotpot 2.0 "student feedback" issues

by Claude Eilers -
Number of replies: 8

Hi Gordon et al.,

I've been working my way through the various settings and am not sure whether the 'student feedback' is working as I expect it.

1. jmt with feedback set to 'webpage' (here), with the page just 'www.moodle.org', clicking on 'send message to teacher' gets 'The page cannot be found' error.  (I'm not sure this is because I didn't put in a real page, but thought I should mention it).
  2. is it possible to change that 'send a message to teacher' message?  I've always hated that.  (Partially because I typically send students to the forum to help one another.)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Claude Eilers

Re: hotpot 2.0 "student feedback" issues

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi Claude,

I'd already tested Student feedback in Findit(b) [no reason to not work in the other] and you must include the http://  for it to work.

FYI, from the tracker:

• web page redirects OK
  • feedback form (perl script, cgi, formmail) a message box pops up, to where?
  • Moodle forum redirects OK
  • Moodle messaging - Pops up a OK

Cheers

Stan

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Stan Bogdanov

by Claude Eilers -

Thanks, Stan.

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks guys!

Stan, thanks for confirming that this functionality is (essentially) working.

I will add a check for a real url to the feedback url item on the HotPotedit/add page.

Claude, what would be a better wording for the message?
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

In the HotPot module for Moodle 2.0, I have modified the wording of the feedback link:

• link to forums:
    Discuss this quiz with your classmates
  • link to web page, feedback form or Moodle messaging:
    Send a message to your teacher

How does that sound?
Gordon

by Claude Eilers -

What you suggest are better, in my opinion, but I wonder whether

• "Discuss this quiz in a forum" might be better for the forums, and
  • "instructor" might be better than "teacher" for the others (I teach in a university setting where the term teacher seems avoided as school-like.)

Would it be possible to have a customizable message?  (I suggest this because one of the impressive things about tools like Moodle and Hotpotatoes is how people can use them to do things that we may not foresee.)

On a different point, should feedback to remain where it is on the edit page?  Now that there are entry and exit page sections, wouldn't it belong more naturally with the exit page?

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Gordon Bateson -

Ah yes, I like that wording. Much better.

It would be possible to make the text for the feedback link customizable, in the same way that the stop button text is customizable. It would require an extra field in the database, but it would give maximum flexibility, so I have put it on my "todo" list, and will do it when I have time for such "moderately major" modifications - probably mid-February

Originally, the student feedback field was intended for students who were getting nowhere with a quiz and had no idea how to continue. Therefore, it was always intended to be part of the actual quiz.

Of course you can add a link to a forum from the exit page by putting it manually into the exit page text area. However, I am hesitant to offer it as one of the exit page options (such as "next", "grades", "retry"), because the current options only have one possible link destination, so we just need a simple on/off switch in the database. By contrast, there could be several forums that intructors may want to offer students, so I am worried that we might have to store a forum id somewhere, which means an extra field in the database, and extra processing for backups and restores.

For the time-being thererfore, I will leave the student feedback link just in the actual quiz, and I wait to see if there are any further requests to add it as an option on the exit page.

thanks as always for the ideas and feedback approve
Gordon

by Claude Eilers -

That sounds great, Gordon.

Sorry, I wasn't clear about my suggestion about moving the feedback.  I didn't mean that the feedback itself should be integrated into the exit pages (though that may be something worth considering now that you mention it), but that the settings on the editing page might be more ergonomically placed with the "exit page" group instead of the "display" group where they sit now.

by Gordon Bateson -

Oh I see. Sorry I misunderstood first time round blush

For me, the "Display" settings are conceptually related because they all affect the appearance of elements on the quiz itself, as opposed to the exit or entry pages. From this point of view, the "Student feedback"type and text  would seem to me to belong more in the "Display" section than in the "Exit page" section, so I think I will leave it there for now. It might move, if we decide to add it as an exit page option in the future.

cheers
Gordon