Having PDF or Word docs show up in a lesson

Having PDF or Word docs show up in a lesson

de către Pat Welch-
Număr de răspunsuri: 7

Hello all,

I'm a new Moodle guy here, and just building out our site. What I'd like to do if have our written content (combo text and graphics) appear in our course window when people are going through a lesson. I don't want them to have to click a link to open or down load. I haven't been able to find a good way to do this with PDF or word files.

What I have done instead is to use the snapshot tool to take a 'picture' of each page of my PDF and then upload those pictures into the lesson as single images of the pages. It seems to work very well, and gives me a nice result .... but it seems like there has to be an easier way. Is there? Is there any way to do the same thing with a PDF?

Thanks,

Pat

Media aprecierilor: -
Ca răspuns la Pat Welch

Re: Having PDF or Word docs show up in a lesson

de către Michelle Eames-

have you tried iframe ?  In a lesson I have upload the file and copied the short cut.  In the toggle HTML source i have copied this code and replaced the file location within " " with the shortcut I copied

<iframe align="center" src="http://server/moodle/test doc.pdf" frameborder="0" width="800" height="600"></iframe></p>

You may need to play with height and width sizes

Good luck

Ca răspuns la Pat Welch

de către Lynn Scarlet Clark-

Pat,

What you've done is OK and pretty quick, and if you want to stop any of your learners copy your text it will counteract that too.

However, it's not a great way of putting in text and graphics - for a start, the image is a fixed width and height so won't repaginate when users move their browser window about, neither will it adjust for different screen widths. The lesson screen automatically adjusts to fit the browser screen, offering the learner better viewing/reading.

Iframe will work too, but again it won't adjust. Iframe is best to import fixed width items (such as flash .swf files etc). It will act similarly to inserting your pdfs as a image in this case and although it's very simple, it means an extra little bit of work on your behalf in each page - so out of the two I'd recommend you stick with image inserts.

Do you have most of your content in Word? You cannot copy straight from Word into a lesson (well, actually you can but it really stuffs up all the formatting and adds tons of erroneous code. Even the option in the editor to scrub Word text isn't infallible). If you're going to do a few lessons in the future I'd recommend that you persevere with formatting text. Once you get the hang of it - and it's pretty intuitive - it'll be quick. Copy your text from Word and paste it into Notepad or Wordpad to change it into plain text. Paste that into the lesson screen. You can plan to use only a few formatting changes - keep all font size the same (so you can select and change all) for instance. This will keep your time down.

Then, with your images (PNG is best, if you can) upload them all in bulk to the course folder, rather than import them through the editor. This will be infinitely quicker. If you don't know how to do this either reply to this post or send me a message and I'll give you brief instructions.

It'll be worth learning - you'll get better results. Your learners will be able to read it better on screen and you'll have another Moodle skill to add to the list.

Ca răspuns la Lynn Scarlet Clark

de către Katie Fraser-

Hi Pat,
I am in the process up uploading images (currently through the html editor) for my lesson and was very interested to hear you can do this in bulk to the course folder. Could you please share how to do this?? Thank you.

Ca răspuns la Katie Fraser

de către Carl Hodkinson-

Hi,

@ Katie...

First of all zip up all the images you want to upload and use within Moodle (in Windows highlight all the images, right-click and select Send to... > Compressed folders.

In you Moodle course, go to your course files area (Administration block > Files) and select Upload a file. Browse for the compressed folder you have just created (also known as a zip file) and Upload this file.

You have now got the zip file into Moodle. To extract your images, select the Unzip link found to the right of your zip file and heh, presto, your images will appear.

Hope that helps

Carl

Media aprecierilor:Useful (1)
Ca răspuns la Katie Fraser

de către Lynn Scarlet Clark-

Hi Katie,

This is how you do this (without zipping or bulk imports etc) for versions prior to 2.0 (ie 1.9 or lower):

You need to be able to access your root for your moodle site via a file manager (so either Windows explorer or Mac's Finder). You need to locate the 'Moodledata' folder on this root. For instance mine is "inetpub/main/moodledata/"

You may need your IT person to give you access to this folder if you have not installed Moodle yourself (or even tell you where it is!)

Each course on Moodle has a numbered folder, in which is all it's resource files get put when you upload them via the editor etc. Please note none of the lessons, quizzes etc are here - just files you upload.

To find the number of this file (it's handy to write yourself a list of what number goes with what course - I have my long list pinned up!) go to the course in your browser. There will be a number within the URL - something like "yourmoodle//course/view.php?id=127" where 127 is your folder number (in this instance).

Go back to your file manager and find ...moodledata/127  this is the folder you want (in this example). You can then bulk copy/move your files into this folder and the next time you use the editor they will all show up!

As an admin hint, within this numbered folder keep subfolders named by type, so a folder for 'images', a folder for 'pdfs' a folder for 'audio' etc. This especially helps f you end up with quite a few files.

I hope this helps and makes your life easier!

Media aprecierilor:Useful (1)