Create man multiple choice questions in a question page

Create man multiple choice questions in a question page

by Ramo Karahasan -
Number of replies: 9

Hi there,

i'm reading the documentation and in parallel play with the lesson module, but can't figure out, if it's possible to create a question page with, e.g. 10 multiple choice questions and independet of the result and linear step-by-step ongoing. I mean something like in a Quizz, where i can add 10 questions per Page.

Is that possible? I'll go on playing and reading Mamatheka

Thank you for the help,

Ramo

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ramo Karahasan

Re: Create man multiple choice questions in a question page

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Ramo,

No, you can't have more than one question per page in the Lesson activity. If you need more than one question per page, you'll have to use the Quiz activity.

Joseph

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

by Ramo Karahasan -

Hello Joseph,

so how could i implement such a scenario:

1.) User starts course

2.) first page is an information page that should be read. user is able to go back (overview) or to the next page

3.) on the next page, there are multiple choice questions that doesn't affect the ongoing course

3. and so on until the end of the coursed is reached?

Can i realize that with default quizzes and pages?

Thank you for your help.

Ramo

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello Ramo,

In Moodle, the concept of "course" is different from the general concept of "lesson" or "programmed instruction" (which is probably what you are refering to).

A moodle course consists of a number of resources and activities, which can be displayed by the teacher week by week or all at once or hidden and then displayed at intervals.

A moodle lesson - which can be one of many "activities" inside a moodle course is similar to programmed instruction in that it takes the student along a pre-determined (by the teacher) path. Along this path, the student can be asked to read texts, answer questions of various types (only one question per page) and, according to his answers to those questions or his choices, can be taken along a variety of different "paths".

To sum up, a moodle course can contain a wide variety of activities and resources, but its "constructivist" philosophy is more geared to offering the student the choice of his own route than a "programmed instruction" philosophy where the route is pre-determined.

However, the "conditional activities" feature, especially in the new version 2.0 of Moodle, can be used to achieve a certain degree of constrained route, which might suit your needs.

Hope that helps,

Joseph

See also Pedagogy.

by Lynn Scarlet Clark -

Hello Ramo,

[Sorry - I keep trying to place this submission as a reply to  Joseph's last post, but it keeps moving up the order.]

Do you really mean that you want to have 10 different multiple choice questions (each with 2 or more possible answers) on a single page, plus some content text? What ever you do this in (apart from a quiz) will mean a large, unweildy page for your learners. You would have to do this with a quiz, probably putting your additional information text in using the 'description' question (which isn't really a question - it just puts in a html block)

Or do you mean one question, with 10 possible answers? If so, this you can still do with lessons. The number of possible answers you can have on a page is determined in settings. Go to the settings for your lesson (in editing mode, click on the hand and pencil icon next to the lesson name). Set the drop-down box next to 'Maximum number of answers/branches' to 10 (or whatever you want). This will allow you to have lots of possible answers.

Using lessons in this way (one multiple choice question with X number of possible answers) means you can realise all your queries in your last post. However, having many multiple choices questions on one page really only leaves you with quiz - as Joseph has already explained.

Hope this helps

In reply to Lynn Scarlet Clark

by Ramo Karahasan -

Hello Joseph, Scarlet,

indeed i'm searching for something like conditional activities, where i can set up a predfined constrained route for a student wheren on some steps a bunch of questions (like 10 questions with possible 4 answers per question) could be shown.

I'll go on reading, if conditional acitivities can help me.

Thank you very much for the hints!

Ramo

by Lynn Scarlet Clark -

Hi Ramo,

I can think of a couple of low-tech approaches (although I've not done this myself)... You could write the questions and answers into a lesson page, via the editor.

If you know any javascript, you could write in some input buttons against the answers and link them to the lesson pages you want to jump to (or a reveal for a non-jump answer).

Or (even more lo-fi) you could simply insert a hyperlink on each answer to do the same jump.

To make it more visual, and depending on your subject matter, your answers could include images (for instance pretend radio buttons) and the images could include the jump?

In reply to Lynn Scarlet Clark

by Tom Moran -

I am trying to do something similar - I want to add 3 True/False questions to a page with in a Lesson. Am I understanding correctly that this is not possible?!

I would have though this would be a very common scenario within a lesson!

In reply to Tom Moran

by Joseph Rézeau -

Definitely not possible. That is not the way the Moodle Lesson module works. Use the Quiz module instead.

by katja derr -

Sorry for asking once again, but maybe I did not describe the problem properly and this is crucial for our project (quiz module won't do, because there are a lot of pages without questions).

In the documentation for lesson module it says, that 'every question can have a default or teacher designed response for an answer' ... so this is not possible? Or is it just not possible to response to incorrect answers?

Thank you very much,

Katja