enrolling students

enrolling students

by Robert Peltier -
Number of replies: 9

I need to enroll a new student into my course, but--after an hour or so of trying--I am unable to do so. Where's the magic button?

(I used to think I hated Blackboard, but I didn't know what hate meant until I was forced to use Moodle).

Thanks for any help.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Robert Peltier

Re: enrolling students

by james mergenthaler -

Choose the course, ensuring you are logged in with rights, find the course admin menu, Choose Assign roles, Choose Participant, then add the participants to the course.

Everything in moodle is role based, and usually requires you to choose the course first (that is the context it wants).  Then assign the roles to the course, including teachers, students etc.

Good luck

In reply to james mergenthaler

by avishag littman -
I tried following the directions you gave, but maybe they're too old. I still can't enroll others to my new course.
In reply to avishag littman

by Patrick Hallermann -

Make sure you have all the correct enrollment methods selected (make sure the eye icon is open and the enrollment method is not ghosted) at Course administration / Users / Enrolment methods.

Make sure you have added the users you want to enrol (you should see them as possible participants) then simply enrol them by giving them the role of students in your course. That always works for me.

In reply to Patrick Hallermann

by cheryl kottke -

I am extremely frustrated.  I have tried following the instructions posted but I am not getting the same thing as described. It is just not working! I have tried manual and self enroll but not getting anywhere at all.  Plus I downloaded the Teach with Moodle but how in the heck do you get it loaded?

In reply to cheryl kottke

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Don't be frustratedsmile There must be a step you are missing somewhere. First of all - where is this Moodle you are trying to enrol students into? Do you have a link to it on the internet? When you say "enrol" do you actually mean getting your students into the Moodle in the first place (ie adding them as new users with new accounts) or do you actually mean adding them into a course which you are teaching? Also - when you say you "downloaded the Teach with Moodle but how the heck do you get it loaded" could you explain a bit more what you mean? I am sure once we have identified the issue your students will be enrolled very quickly.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by cheryl kottke -

Thank you for the reply.

I am new to Moodle.  Sorry if I didn't think to give more information. I should've thought about it.  

Right now, I just have it installed on my home PC (yesterday). I haven't figured out how to get it set up for access on the internet yet. So, basically, I am very new to trying to use Moodle. I set up a test course with the minimum just to learn how to use Moodle. I added a new user by going to  Site Administration > users >  Accounts > add new user. First I set it for Manual enrol and wasn't able to get the user enrolled in the course. Then I set for self-enrol and I still can't get the user enrolled.  When I try to enrol the student I logout but there isn't anywhere for the student to self-enrol and I can't figure out how manual enrol works.  Now that I am looking at this, Could it be a problem with not having the database set up for Moodle?

I downloaded from the Bitnami website, Teach_With_Moodle.mbz, but can't figure out how to use it. I don't see how it loads into Moodle.

Thank you for your help

In reply to cheryl kottke

by Pieter van der Hijden -

Please, be sure you see the difference between:

• authentication methods (to make a person a user)
  • enrolment methods (to enrol users to courses)

and check that the admin settings are such that:

• authentication plugin "manual" has been enabled
  • enrolment plugin "manual" has been enabled.

Then go to the course you created, click in the settings block on users / enrolment methods and check the manual enrolment method is there. If not, add it. Click on the tiny puppet pictogram in the manual enrolment entry and you can add a user, either as a student, or as a teacher.

In reply to Pieter van der Hijden

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Yes - Pieter is correct. Also - -please look through the documentation on Authentication and Enrolment.
 I am very interested to know the link for the Teach with Moodle on Bitnami is - can you tell me as I can't find it?
It looks by the file extension to be a Moodle course, so if you want to load it into your Moodle, then follow these instructions: Course restore

(Edited by Helen Foster to fix documentation links - original submission Friday, 10 January 2014, 5:18 PM)