Questions import using Aiken format with grade

Questions import using Aiken format with grade

ni Ravishankar Somasundaram -
Number of replies: 14

Dear Moodlers,

I am trying to import quiz questions(multichoice) using aiken format. Moodle docs tells me how to structure the document but does not specify how i can give grades to each question.

1. Does this mean i need to edit all questions manually to give grades ?

2. Suppose if i want one question to be given 4 marks inseatd of 1,

How can i do this ?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ravishankar Somasundaram

Re: Questions import using Aiken format with grade

ni Tim Hunt -
Larawan ng Core developers Larawan ng Documentation writers Larawan ng Particularly helpful Moodlers Larawan ng Peer reviewers Larawan ng Plugin developers

The grade for each question is something you decide when you add the question to the quiz.

Well, each question can have a default grade, and it is nice if you can get that right during the import, but there is no way to do that with Aiken format.

In reply to Tim Hunt

Dear Tim,

Thanks for replying, You are saying that i have to edit each question to give grade ! ?

Considering the volume of questions which needs edition, i can adopt other formats to import which can have default grades.

Another question would be

1. How can i specify number of marks in grades instead of percentage ?

Its confusing right now, when i specify 100% grade for correct answer it displays 1 mark in the output for students.

I want to mark few questions as 4 marks, few as 1 marks . . etc etc

2. On viewing reports can i filter the enteries ? like i want to see people who have got above 50% marks alone and save it ?

3. I want to display feedback based on grades, i saw the grade boundary feedback, but how do i say <=50 marks out of 100 display "better luck next time" >90 display "good work" ...etc etc

ni Tim Hunt -
Larawan ng Core developers Larawan ng Documentation writers Larawan ng Particularly helpful Moodlers Larawan ng Peer reviewers Larawan ng Plugin developers

What I am saying is that once you have added the questions to a quiz, you can set the grade for each question in once place, as you can see on the screen-shot here: Editing_a_quiz#Previewing_questions.

1. Also on the same screen-shot, at the bottom, you can see where it says 'Maximum grade'. If you set that to 100, the grades will be percentages.

2. You can't filter in Moodle, but you can sort by any column, which lets you see all the people above or below 50% easily. Or you can export to Excel (or whatever), and then delete the half of the data that you don't want.

3. Look at the 'Overall feedback' section at the bottom of the quiz settings form. Adding/updating_a_quiz#Overall_feedback.

In reply to Tim Hunt

TIm,

1. Its not possible to have multiple choice's specified for each question in this format ? (I read it is not possible currently from a Moodle Tracker entry but just wanted to conrim for 2.0).

2. using this format contains the default penalty of 0.1 how to eliminate this ?

If above mentioned are not possible, what else easy format you prescribe for a end user to prepare questions to upload to quiz

ni Tim Hunt -

1. Aiken is only for multiple-choice questions with a single response. If you want to import more complex things, use GIFT.

2. The only way to change this is to edit the import code to change where it sets the default penalty (or use Moodle XML format).

In reply to Tim Hunt

Dear time,

I uploaded this question from moodle docs page with a little change (gave two correct options) in gift format

Who's buried in Grant's tomb?{=Grant ~no one ~Napoleon =Churchill ~Mother Teresa }

But still the question on preview displays radio buttons instead of check boxes ! ?

am i missing something here ?

ni Tim Hunt -

Your little change worked the way it is supposed to. You crated a multiple choice question, single response, where either of two answers are acceptable.

For a multiple-response question, the format is

What two people are entombed in Grant's tomb? {
~%-100%No one
~%50%Grant
~%50%Grant's wife
~%-100%Grant's father
}

That was explained on GIFT_format, but only near the bottom. I added a clearer example near ther top.

ni Amanda Baxter -

I have a file in Aiken format which has about 100 questions in it but when I import it only has 4 questions in it!  The first three import properly and the last one is just one of the multiple choice options [i.e. e)custom].  There is an error message that says "This type of question requires at least 2 choices".  I've checked the file and there are always at least 2 choices.  I don't understand what I've done wrong.  Any ideas?

In reply to Amanda Baxter

ni Lev Abramov -

Yes. Seen that. It's always the result of a human error. I assume you feed the file for import as .txt - but you probably created it in some other editor (e.g., MS Word). While copying/saving, you must have made something that confuses Moodle. Usually it's the wrong carriage return.

Open your file in MS Word and turn the formatting marker ON (Show) - this is a button that looks like a mirrored P. You will then see this sign at the end of each line - it denotes a paragraph end.

If one of the answer option lines misses this sign, this is where the confusion starts.

HTH. If it does not make sense, write back and I will post a screenshot to illustrate the point.

Lev

ni Joseph Rézeau -
Larawan ng Core developers Larawan ng Particularly helpful Moodlers Larawan ng Plugin developers Larawan ng Testers Larawan ng Translators

Hello Amanda.

Thanks for attaching your Aiken file to your post. You do not say how that Aiken format file was prepared. Did you do it yourself? Did you get it from someone else? Which text editor did you use? Did you carefully check that its contents obey the Aiken format rules?

Here is the list of errors in that file:

1.- wrong use of a), b), etc. or a., b., c. etc. instead of A., B., C., etc. in some of your questions:

Which tab in the following dialog box would you use to add keywords for the document?
a)General
b)Summary
c)Statistics
d)Contents
e)Custom
ANSWER:B

Identify on the following which tab contains the Word Count command?
A. Home Tab
B. Insert Tab
C. Page Layout Tab
D. References Tab
e. Mailings Tab
f. Review Tab
g. View Tab
ANSWER:F

etc.

2.- You cannot have "special formatting characters" within your question answers. I have removed 2 "problematic" questions from your file (see attached screenshot).

I am attaching a "cleaned-up" version of your file, which imports the remaining 88 questions correctly into a Moodle 1.9 or Moodle 2.0 question bank.

There remain a (small) number of symbols or "special characters" in the text of your questions which cannot be imported and displayed into a moodle question, or which have even dissappeared from your original file, e.g.:

---

When you see  , what does this symbol mean?
A. You can rotate the picture.
B. You can move the picture.
C. You can resize the picture.
D. You can crop the picture.
ANSWER:B

---

Hope that helps,

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

ni Joseph Rézeau -
Larawan ng Core developers Larawan ng Particularly helpful Moodlers Larawan ng Plugin developers Larawan ng Testers Larawan ng Translators

... and the screenshot showing the 2 "problematic" questions:

Attachment 14-06-2011 12-29-03.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

ni Amanda Baxter -

Thank you so much!

I got the questions from a Word file and converted the file using PSPad.  I did notice that some parts of some questions were missing, mostly images.  I thought I could add them to the question after importing.  I guess I was wrong.  I have 2 more similar files to import, now I know what to look for.  Thanks for the swift response ngiti

ni Joseph Rézeau -

Oh yes, you can always edit your questions after importing them from the Aiken file, and add images, etc.

Glad my answer helped.

Joseph