zero topic box needs editing but can't get to it

zero topic box needs editing but can't get to it

by Paula Clough -
Number of replies: 5

Last night I was trying to add the information into the 0 topic box. This course was set up by someone else that is not available to look at it but I do have Administrative rights to the class but not the site. 

The class uses a table which isn't exactly visible in the Moodle HTML editor, so I copied the source data and put it into another HTML editior (NVU) that I have. I got the additional cells added and tried copying and pasting them over to Moodle to then paste in the data from an email someone had sent me. Because the table wasn't exactly visible I was having problems finding the cells in the Moodle editor so I went back to NVU and pasted it in there. I didn't realize that there was something in what I pasted in that was leading back to the original email. When I copied the source code back into Moodle and saved, it looked like it was coming up, but it goes to my yahoo email where the email was located.

The browser doesn't stay long enough in the Moodle site to do too much. I tried the following:

• I stopped the page loading part way so that I could get into the Admin settings...looked for a current back up...there wasn't one since it was set up. (20/20 hindsight) I tried changing the page settings from topic to the other formats to see if that would give me a way into editing the 0 topic box...no luck.
  • I backed up the course and downloaded the backup to my PC Bitnami Moodle site so I could try to work on it without messing anything else up. I have full admin priveledges there...hoping I could fix it and then back up and restore at the original site.
  • Tried looking into the files on my Moodle to see if I could get in there and find the code and fix it. Couldn't find it.
  • Tried using Notepad to fix the HTML in the backup file. I did that and saved back but when I tried to restore the new backup file to my Moodle it said there was an error.

Anyone else have any ideas how to fix this or where to find what I need?  Using 1.9 moodle.

Thanks,

Paula cool

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paula Clough

Re: zero topic box needs editing but can't get to it

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Paula - can you edit other topic summaries on the page? If so then can you get the URL of one of those and type that in and keep changing the number at the end of that URL  until you get to the edit screen of topic 0 of that particular course? Or alternatively could you go to another course, and do the same?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Paula Clough -

Mary,

I can do that, but it still sends me on to the email site when it gets half way through loading the info in that label.  I can get it to stop loading if I use the stop feature in the browser and turn editing on but there is no Editting hand to click on to take me to the edit window.  Is there another way into the edit window?

Thanks,

Paula cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by ben reynolds -

The only thing I can think to do, with no promise of success, is to backup the course, download to your comp, then, assuming you use Windows, explore the contents of the zip file, search for a link to yahoo, and delete the link. Restore the course and hope that all goes nicely.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Paula Clough -

Thank you  Mary and Ben.  I was able to get things fixed up with a little bit of both your advise.

Paula cool