2.0 Using webpages as course content without external repository

2.0 Using webpages as course content without external repository

by Ralf Hilgenstock -
Number of replies: 15
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Translators

This is a how to question:

If we have a couple of webpages (may be edited by exelearning) and started cvia an index.html file. How can we use it in a course without an external repository?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ralf Hilgenstock

Re: 2.0 Using webpages as course content without external repository

by Mark Storey -

As I understand, the problem we face is the fact the Moodle 2.X at present does not allow linked content that resides within the Server File System. eg "../moodledata/respository/Resources/toolbox/". The toolbox folder contains the html files. Moodle 1.9.X and earlier allowed such a paradigm but not 2.X.

by Rainer Schaufelberger -

I keep asking this question for quiet a while. Even when you use the File System Repository the files are copied from the repository to some "Moodle internal place" and the relative links in your HTML-Pages don't work.

I hope that someone can explain how we can use these "Mini HTML-Webpages" in Moodle 2.

by Matt Cornock -

I think I'm encountering a similar problem too. I have many HTML files which form our course content, they all draw upon a CSS file for their design, various icons, links to docs etc. All files are uploaded as a zip (in 1.9) and unzipped, maintaining relative path links etc.

I'm using the 'legacy course files' in 2.0, however when creating a link to one of the HTML pages as a resource, it copies it over to the system files instead of linking to my legacy course files. As a result all the relative links (to CSS, icons, docs etc) break.

Am I doing something wrong? or is the 'legacy course files' nothing like course files?

I appreciate this 'new paradigm' and the following: uploading a zip to a file resource and setting a main file (would require a zip and CSS and icons for every single HTML page), using a file system repository (requires non-Moodle software eg FTP client to upload into this).

However, there are many people who have what are effectively mini HTML sites as their course content, it's portable, easily edited and easily structured outside of Moodle using folders on your computer when writing it. Is there a way in 2.0 to use these types of learning resources?

In reply to Matt Cornock

by Matt Cornock -

Solution (if contrived):

Make sure you have 'legacy' course files (LCF) active on your site. Go to the site admin > plugins > repositories > manage repositories option to set it up. Then make sure your course settings permit LCF. 

A LCF link appears within your course admin block. Upload the zip of files and unzip it within the LCF as you used to do in 1.9 (albeit with different interface). Make sure you click 'save changes' at the bottom of the page!

On the course page, do not add a 'file' resource but use the 'URL' resource type instead. Click the button 'Choose a link...' which will show the file picker with the LCF.

Relative links in the HTML files to other files in the folder structure will then work.

Note: if you use the 'file' resource type it copies the file into its abstracted 'server files' and hence relative links don't work.

Matt

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Matt Cornock

by Orestes Mas -
Picture of Translators

Thanks for posting this workaround, but it seems you've missed one step between your first and second paragraphs: you've to go to "site admin -> plugins -> repositories -> common repository settings" and set the "Legacy course files in new courses" option to make the LCF link appear within the course admin block.

Orestes.

In reply to Orestes Mas

by Matt Cornock -

Thanks for the amendment Orestes smile  - Moodle 2.0 definitely does not encourage course files!

In reply to Matt Cornock

@Matt

When I use the URL resource to link to some legacy file I get the following message in the File Picker:

"Sorry, none of your current repositories can return external files"

(Legacy files are enabled and I can upload files)

Could you tell me where I missed to tick a check box or something else?

Thanks

In reply to Rainer Schaufelberger

by Matt Cornock -

Hi Rainer,

Trying to think if there were any other steps I took. Could you check that in Site Admin > Plugins > Repositories > Manage repositories, the 'Legacy course files' drop down is set to 'Enabled and visible'

For clarity: for course files you shouldn't upload files using the filepicker. To upload, use the 'Legacy course files' link on the bottom of the course menu, then click the 'Edit legacy course files button'.

Matt

In reply to Matt Cornock

Hi Matt,

Mysterious, now it is working! I think it could be a cache on the server or something. In version 1.9 I noticed a problem when I change the content of a file. The display of that file shows still the old content.

Anyway, - thanks Matt

In reply to Rainer Schaufelberger

by Matt Cornock -

Lovely caching issues smile I think we had our server configured to stop it from happening, but unfortunately cannot remember if we did and how we did it.

In reply to Matt Cornock

by Hal Medrano -

This is a nice workaround, but I'm resentful that Moodle requires us to jump through all these hoops in order to do something simple. Why can't Moodle work as a simple content server as well as an LMS? This is a reasonable expectation, and one that is met by every other LMS that I know.

My question: given that "Legacy course files" is officially deprecated, do you think it's just a matter of time before we can no longer rely on this workaround?

Sorry to be a downer; I've been using Moodle since 1994, but 2.0 has me seriously considering alternatives. Maybe one of the core developers will think about usability next time they do a major upgrade. Thanks again.

In reply to Hal Medrano

by Elena Ivanova -

I believe we were able to convince headquarters to leave Legacy File in place as one of the possible Repositories.

Unless, someone will now show up here and tell me I am wrong big grin

In reply to Elena Ivanova

Ang: Re: 2.0 Using webpages as course content without external repository

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators
Can any of you make the Legacy File folder work as a place to drop your Articulate folders where the package is not SCORMed - and where you just use the File resource to point to the player.html file?? It would be nice with some good and elaborated explanation of an elegant way of using course ware that worked in 1.9x and now won't work in 2.x... Petr,- Anyone,- do you have an explanation to the educators that will need to spend hours to make there courses work smile ?
In reply to Jens Gammelgaard

Re: Ang: Re: 2.0 Using webpages as course content without external repository

by Elena Ivanova -

Hi Jens,
I have posted instructions here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=168868#p741355

Hope it helps smile

In reply to Elena Ivanova

Ang: Re: Ang: Re: 2.0 Using webpages as course content without external repository

by Jens Gammelgaard -
Picture of Translators

Hi Elena,

That post is a great help - thanks a lot. I even got the Articulate to work from the Moodle repository - it appears to be related to a currupt zip file - even though the exact reason has not been identified.

smile Very helpful