More testing for Hotpot 2.0

More testing for Hotpot 2.0

by Claude Eilers -
Number of replies: 25

I'm starting a new thread because the old one was getting long.

I'm picking away at the sub-tasks listed at Moodle Tracker.  One of them is that the JMix drag-and-drop doesn't seem to work now. (The 'cards' don't appear.)

I've noted these over in the tracker, but am not sure what the protocol should be there.  (I've merely added these as comments, is that correct?)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Claude Eilers

Re: More testing for Hotpot 2.0 - WebSequitur htm

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Gordon,

I see you haven't had time yet to address the issues I wrote about on the 20th of Jan. I've continued with testing WebSequitur htm (not finished yet) and I've added to the document I wrote 2 days ago (attached here).

Like Claude, I'm not really sure what to put in the tracker. Only the "Exit page" is working perfectly on all the points you mention in the tracker.

The things I've noted as not working perfectly are not specific to WebSequitur, so I imagine, when they're fixed for WebSequitur, they'll be fixed for all the apps.

Cheers,

Glenys

In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: More testing for Hotpot 2.0 - WebSequitur htm

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Glenys,

sorry I had not realized that the "doc" file contained such a wealth of information. I will go through it and fix the stuff that is fixed already.

many thanks
Gordon

Re: More testing for Hotpot 2.0

by Stan Bogdanov -

Gordon,

I noticed that if I use 'Quit' as a 'Specific text', the button doesn't get styled as expected.

Affects all files.

give up

Cheers

Stan

In reply to Stan Bogdanov

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks Stan. I am investigating ...
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Stan,

I needed to make some other changes to the stop button regarding the CSS, and when I came to check the text, I found that entering any specific text, e.g. "Stop" or "Quit", seemed to display in a normal button. Please could you check again, and let me know if it is fixed now or not.

thanks
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Claude,

don't worry too much about protocol over on the issue tracker. I don't think there are any written rules. I treat like it a forum really, although the atmosphere is perhaps less social (i.e. no greetings, farewells or "thanks for all your hard work") and more stick-to-the-facts.

For our purposes, it is enough to add a comment on the JCloze (flashcard) issue, such as "all navigation settings tested, and worked as expected".

regards
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Claude,

the JMatch exercises are working again. Thanks for pointing that out.

regards
Gordon

by Stan Bogdanov -

Nope,

Flashcard, JMemori, and Standard (dropdown) do work in all conditions and navigations, but in "Drag and Drop" format none of the jmt or htm displays the draggable cards.

Stan

by Gordon Bateson -

So sorry, I wrote the post before I updated the testing server (I am writing this code on my own laptop). I have uploade the new code to the testing server. Please could you try again.

thanks
Gordon

by Stan Bogdanov -

Yep Masta' Gordon,

I confirm: JMatch drag-drop  DOES work now. Yes

And The 'Quit button text' issue is fixed too. Yes

Cheers

Stan

by Gordon Bateson -

Great, thanks for confirming, Stan.

I am working my way through Glenys's list at the moment ...
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Hello Glenys

thank you again for writing out the bug reports so clearly. Here's what I fixed:

• you can now delete (your own) attempts from Entry page without error - grade will be recalculated
  • display of "Your previous highest grade ... " and "Your average grade so far ..." is now correct
  • all "Title" settings are now working, in particular, the "Use source file name" is fixed
  • stop button is displayed on the right hand side of the quiz title line
  • all students feedback setting are now working, in particular the "Web page" setting is now fixed, and "Moodle forums" displays Moodle forum
  • time limit seems to work for me in admin role (didn't check students role)
  • display of "1 attempt {$a}" fixed on form to add/update a HotPot activity

These things are not yet checked, but are on the list ...

• open and close dates (when no entry page)
  • password and subnet restrictions
  • delay 1, 2 and 3
  • permissions of students to view reports and review attempts
  • add preliminary language packs for other languages
    (I have a script for compiling these semi-automatically from language packs in Moodle 1.9 - HotPot, QuizPort, Quiz)

so quite a good day from my point of view smile

thanks for all the feedback, please keep it coming
Gordon

by Claude Eilers -

I bumped into a few oddities with JMix JMatch (!) [CE: sorry, brain hiccup there; JMatch not JMix] and the quit button.  If you do a poor attempt several times, you can end up with a negative grade.  When the grade is negative and you use the quit button, you get this error message:

Quitting without doing the grade can produce this:

Debug info: Out of range value for column 'score' at row 1

UPDATE mdl_hotpot_attempts SET hotpotid = ?,userid = ?,starttime = ?,endtime = ?,score = ?,penalties =

?,attempt = ?,timestart = ?,timefinish = ?,status = ?,clickreportid = ?,timemodified = ? WHERE id=?

[array (

0 => '78',

1 => '4',

2 => 1295790587,

3 => 1295790592,

4 => -20,

5 => 2,

6 => '1',

7 => '1295790580',

8 => 1295790589,

9 => 3,

10 => '706',

11 => 1295790589,

12 => '706',

)]

Stack trace:

line 394 of \lib\dml\moodle_database.php: dml_write_exception thrown

line 959 of \lib\dml\mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to moodle_database->query_end()

line 991 of \lib\dml\mysqli_native_moodle_database.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database-

>update_record_raw()

line 159 of \mod\hotpot\storage.php: call to mysqli_native_moodle_database->update_record()

line 1 of \mod\hotpot\submit.php(84) : eval()'d code: call to mod_hotpot_storage::store()

line 84 of \mod\hotpot\submit.php: call to eval()

Quitting without any attempt whatsoever produces an error (I didn't copy it, I'll try to reproduce) [CE: see next] or returns to the splash screen thus:

(Note that within that url does not return completely to the main page.)  Within the scrollable box is a complete replication of the main window.

by Claude Eilers -

Quitting JMatch (no entry page) without dragging any answers produces the screenshot above.  Quitting JMatch with an entry page without dragging any answers gets this:

Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$gradeweighting in C:\Inetpub\Moodle\20\mod\hotpot\lib.php on line 916 Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$gradeweighting in C:\Inetpub\Moodle\20\mod\hotpot\lib.php on line 921 Notice: Undefined property: stdClass::$gradeweighting in C:\Inetpub\Moodle\20\mod\hotpot\lib.php on line 891

by Gordon Bateson -

HI Claude,
thanks for spotting the problem with negative scores.

I have modifed the HotPot module so that it converts negative scores to zero before attempting to store them in the database. That should prevent the error occurring, which should in turn prevent getting stuck in a frame.

There is another issue of whether or not JMatch should be able to generate negative scores up, but maybe that discussion should involve Martin (Holmes) and Stewart (Arneil) over on the Hot Potatoes Yahoo group

many thanks as always
Gordon

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi,

have started ticking off stuff in the Tracker as I've been fiddling with Find-it (b) http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/CONTRIB-2681

3-4 things to keep you busy, Gordon wink

Cheers

Stan

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Gordon Bateson -

Wow - execellent job Stan! Very clear and very helpful.

At some point, I'd love to know the  wiki editing formatting codes you used to get all those nice effects. I wonder in particular how you got the green check marks and red crosses. But I digress ...

Some of the issues you raised are general issues, such as those regarding passwords and timers, which will be solved for all quiz types when I can fix them for one.

Other issues are specific to Find-It. For example, you make an interesting point that maybe we shouldn't allow the Glossary filter on Find-It because it is a "click->score" activity. I see what you mean, but on the other hand, I know a lot of teachers use these exercises as "click->learn", and I know a lot of students find the glossary links useful, so I am of the view that we should make this functionality possible, and let the teacher decide whether to enable it or not.

My "to do" list has gotten long again, that's true, but I have been able to move steadily through it - sometimes I'm a tortoise, sometimes a hare wink

Please keep the ideas and feedback rolling in.

regards
Gordon

P.S. if you just type the issue type and number like this, CONTRIB-2681, then the text filter on Moodle.org will convert it automatically to a link like this, CONTRIB-2681.

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi Gordon,

I'm trying to be as meticulous as Glenys ... approve

>Re: formatting codes, icons, emoticons

Below the Comment box is a  Help icon with all wiki formatting

>Re: text filter on Moodle.org will convert CONTRIB-#

thanks, wasn't aware of that functionality

>Re: Glossary with Find-it

I agree, Glossary is very useful, I'm just not clear about how it behaves with Find-it.

If a student clicks a word to consult the Glossary, it will result in a penalty if this is a word not to click, will it not?

I imagine a Find-it (a) or (b) with 5 voc. items to click and as many auto-linked Glossary entries. Student clicks 5 times to trigger a gloss explanation to understand the text ... Does this result in 5 penalties? I think yes.

Then the student clicks the items to be clicked and ... ,my question is, Will the score total a mark of zero, or worse, negative (demotivating and confusing students), despite the 'All correct'? If so, it might require a hack to remove the scoring from JCloze, hence no scoring in HotPot Module ...

It's worth investigating! It's not working now so we can't. It'll be good to see it in action to find out if it's in fact so. When you fix it we'll see ...

We are all aware of the students' click-happy behaviour, and should warn the teachers of how these settings affect scoring and grading, and generally how  the module behaves in such a situation; and put it in the Documentation.

Keep up the excellent work, Masta' Gordon wink

Cheers

Stan

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi Gordon,

filed some errors with Groups and Grades in CONTRIB-2681

don't know if you've had a spare moment to see them

Cheers

Stan

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi everyone,

thank you for your patience while I took a little time out to complete a second writing project. That is just about done now, so I will be able to revisit the bug lists concerning HotPot for Moodle 2.0.

I am aiming to have embedding of media (including square bracket notation and "on demand" import of secondary files), timers, password, roles (for students reviewing attempts) out by the end of this week. Any help with testing would be much appreciated smile

regards
Gordon

by Robin Wolf -

Hurray!

Thank you, Gordon!

In reply to Robin Wolf

by Gordon Bateson -

Quick update on the HotPot module for Moodle 2.0.

The big news is that I think I have the embedded images, audio and video working. I was also able to fix up the password and IP-address checks.

I am ready now to take on the square-bracket notation challenge.

As always, you can download the latest version of the module from here:

out for now
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

It's not been plain sailing, but I have been able to implement the embedding of media in HotPot activities for Moodle 2.0 using the square-brackets notation that QuizPort also uses.

There are still a few things about UFO's (Unobtrusive Flash Objects) that I don't understand, but it seems to work, at least on the simple mp3 samples I was using - thanks for making those avialable Stan approve

cheers
Gordon

by Stan Bogdanov -

Hi Gordon,

time to move from UFO to SWFObject 2.2 (http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/) (I may be able to help you migrate ....)

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-21794

When I get a free moment, I'll discuss it in more detail. In the meantime, interested members here can read http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/swfobject.html

Cheers

Stan