1.9 Parent role

1.9 Parent role

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 15
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I have tried the parent role before but this is the first time I am attempting to use it "in anger" as they say. I have followed the instructions in moodle docs here http://docs.moodle.org/en/Parent_role and although it seems to work as it should - it doesn't allow the parent to see the child's blog (although I have blogs set for everyone to see sitewide) nor does it let them see forum posts - in fact, it says they have none, when I know they have posted! Does anyone have any ideas? Have to tell you that usually when I ask a question instead of answer one, either I solve it myself within minutes because it was stupid and obvious - or else nobody answers me at all which makes me wonder why (and a bit lonely!) so any suggestions appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: 1.9 Parent role

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Ah! See!smile I told you it would be one way or the other! I have found in the tracker that currently parents can't see their children's posts http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-18435

so that explains that one - now I just need to find out why they can't read the childeren's blogs...

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -

Got itsmile They Can read their children's blogs but only when they first click on the profile in the mentees block on the front page - so in other words from courseid=1 If you click on the blogs tab once you have clicked inside any course -then you can't access them. So - I have done it right except the forum posts cannot yet be accessed... now if only I could rate myself useful...

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -

Just so you're not talking to yourself, I'll add that we played with this role in 1.8. I noticed that it was possible for a mentor/parent to read a student's new messages and give them read (simple past tense) status, which meant the student wouldn't see the new message.

My bigger objection is one you've mentioned before. It's a totally manual process to add just one parent. With a school full of parents, you would need a batallion of monkeys at keyboards for a month.

In reply to ben reynolds

by Mary Cooch -

That's interesting about the messages - I will go and check that one out - I am not having any batallions of monkeys by the way -we are just thinking of allowing parents who request access to have a parent role rather than giving them all one  -we're not expecting a thousand, maybe more like a couple of dozen...

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Simon Goodwin -

With the parent role, I can't even get parents to read assignments that their child has sent in, never mind blogs or forums! So, am sharing your frustration.thoughtful

In reply to Simon Goodwin

by Greg Jeffrey -

The problem appears to be one of confidentiality.  As a UK user we have the CMIS student admin system and use Guy Thomas's Facility to Moodle block to import both Students and Parents which does a pretty good job.  You can then allocate classes to courses en bloc.  1300 students and parents brought in with a couple of clicks (batallions of monkeys on hold).  However if our parents are not to be allowed access to confidential data they can't 'enter' a course as they would see a list of all of the other kids.  Same kind of problem with Forums.  Parent role allows them access to their own child's data - grades and feedback comments - but the handed in document is 'inside' the course are so he/she can't see that.  Think I've got that right mixed

In reply to Greg Jeffrey

by Mary Cooch -

Yes - I wasn't expecting to be able to see assignments -although what is noticeable is, if the child does an online text assignment which is set to "comment inline" the actual assignment is then visible in the gradebook feedback, as it has become part of the teacher's comments- so we should encourage more online text assignments, I reckon!smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Tiffany Morgan -

We have been using this parent/mentee role fairly successfully for a couple of years now and had the same issue with confidentiality. We over came this by enrolling the parent/coach/mentee in the course, but creating a custom role that adjusted the permissions so they could access the content (resources) but not any areas where they could see or contact students (so this leaves out forums and email block). So far so good with the exception of the one-by-one parent to student association/lack or trained monkey battalion previously mentioned.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Binh Dinh -

How about 2.0?

Parent don't see grade detail of student?

Although I have used Mentees block.

In reply to Binh Dinh

by Mary Cooch -

Binh- I responded to your query on the other forum thread so you didn't really need to post twicesmile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Binh Dinh -

Hi Mary,

Sorry, because I new participate 4rum and don't find that you can please give me again that link?

Thanks,

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Linda Bellomo -

We have been using the Parent role for parents and learning coaches for a while. Suddenly one of our coaches can't see the course links for her students when she clicks on their name in her mentees list. She can see them when going to the participants link in the course and opening their profile. Can anyone think of a change that might cause this to happen? I don't remember changing anything. Thank you.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by barry gun -

The problem appears to be one of confidentiality.  As a UK user we have the CMIS student admin system and use Guy Thomas's Facility to Moodle block to import both Students and Parents which does a pretty good job.  You can then allocate classes to courses en bloc.  1300 students and parents brought in with a couple of clicks (batallions of monkeys on hold).  However if our parents are not to be allowed access to confidential data they can't 'enter' a course as they would see a list of all of the other kids.  Same kind of problem with Forums.  Parent role allows them access to their own child's data - grades and feedback comments - but the handed in document is 'inside' the course are so he/she can't see that. smile