Recent Activity Block

Recent Activity Block

by Tan M -
Number of replies: 12

Hey!

How come Moodle.org's Recent Activity block shows New Users but my Recent Activity block only shows Forum Posts and Journal Entries?

No fair!  I want my Recent Activity block to show New Users too!  big grin

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Tan M

Re: Recent Activity Block

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
There's nothing special about this - it's a standard feature since Moodle 1.0.x ...
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Tan M -

No way!  My Recent Activity block does not show new users!  Are there settings I have to change?  I tried:

1) Turning editing on and examining the block

2) Going to Configuration-->Blocks and looking at Recent Activity... it does not have a 'settings' link like some other blocks do

3) Randomly clicking around admin areas like a crazy man trying to see where the block may be editable

I was always good at hide and go seek as a child, I don't know why I can't find it!

I'm running version 1.3.4+ and the only thing my block will show is journal entries and forum posts.

In reply to Tan M

by Tim Allen -
I think it only shows new users who have signed up since your last login.  Have you tested this scenario?  
In reply to Tim Allen

by Tan M -

Hi!  Thanks for writing!

Yes: in fact I had 3 new students sign up on Monday and at various points throughout the day I logged in as different instructors and sample students.

I even used the 'login as' feature to login as real students to see if they were seeing it.

Nothing.  It's definitely not showing new students in the Recent Activity block.

by Tan M -
So Martin, based on the discussion here, is showing New Users a default function of the Recent Activity block or is there some configuration that needs to be done somewhere for it to show?
In reply to Tan M

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Like I said, it's standard, no config necessary.  I'm not sure what you're doing or not doing ...

by Tan M -

Hmmm, that's what I figured.  I don't know what I'm doing or not doing either, since I'm a 'straight-out-of-the-box' moodle user (i.e., I don't have any customizations or anything.  I use the application as-is)

Maybe if I upgrade it will take care of the problem.  Thanks to you, Martin, and to everyone else who responded to me on this discussion!

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Martin

I'm wondering how 'recent' is the 'Recent Activity'?  Is there a time set somewhere - if so can we change this?

Thanks
Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Jan Dierckx -
It's set to 2 days. You can change it in moodle/course/lib.php
Look for the value 172800 (which is the number of seconds in two days)
I doubt changing the value is necessary because the block always shows recent activity since the last time  the user logged in, so only the guest user is affected by the time setting.

In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Tan M -

Hey Jan,

My recent activity block doesn't seem to be doing that.  It seems to be showing everyone's Recent Activity from 2 days ago instead of from the last time they logged in.  If they have logged in less than 2 days ago, only then does it show from their last login.  Any ideas why?

I wonder if this has anything to do with why my NEW USERS thing is not showing.  Do you think so?  I upgraded to 1.4.4 yesterday and, my test site shows NEW USERS now (I was very excited) but my live site still does not!  I was crushedsad

Anyone know why this is happening?

(p.s. if you're confused about my comment regarding the new users, please look higher in this message trail for previous discussion about it)

by arvind grover -
is there any way to make the "recent activity" block show all recent posts to various "courses?" we are trying to set up a moodle site with various courses, but we want registered site visitors to be able to see what is happening generally in other courses without having to join those courses. does that make sense?

if i am user x, and i sign in, the recent activity should show all posts in all the courses in the site, regardless of what courses i have subscribed to.

any help would be appreciated.