Moodle on IIS WinXP(SP2)/ MySQL 4.1.8 / PHP 4.3.10

Moodle on IIS WinXP(SP2)/ MySQL 4.1.8 / PHP 4.3.10

by Luke Maslany -
Number of replies: 7

Hello all,

I'm having some trouble installing Moodle on my PC.  Following the installation instructions and after reading the FAQ's, I have suceeded in installing MySQL and PHP and publishing the Moodle directory through IIS.

Unfortunately when going to http://localhost/moodle/admin/ for the first time I recieve an error informing me that the database connection has failed. 

The error suggests that either the load on the database is too high (which is not the case) or that the config.php file contains errors (which is far more likely!).

I've run the phpinfo() function on a page and it returns a result - unfortunately I don't know what information should (or should not) be there.

Does anyone have any suggestion as to what the problem is?  If required I am happy to add additional details, but I didn't want to upload everything if only a small, specific section that was needed.

I did notice another user experiencing similar problems and they resolved the problem by using older versions of MySQL/PHP.  Can anyone tell me if they have successfully installed Moodle on the setup above? 

Many thanks in advance for any help you can offer,

Luke

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Luke Maslany

Re: Moodle on IIS WinXP(SP2)/ MySQL 4.1.8 / PHP 4.3.10

by Kam Vento -
Luke

If you see the PHPINFO page your php is probably ok and likely your webserver's permissions are also good.

I'm assuming you have a working mysql install. One of the gotchas with the current mysql is they encrypt passwords differently.

Use you MysqlAdmin tool to check the box under the security tab that allows the "use old password"

good luck

Kam

In reply to Kam Vento

by Luke Maslany -

Kam,

Thanks for the info.  Once i'd enabled the 'use old password' setting and reset the [moodle] password I was able to complete the configuration of the site.

I confess that I am a little confused as to why an internal encryption process in MySQL would be at issue - does Moodle encrypt the password before passing it to MySQL or is itomething to do with the way Moodle passes the credentials to the MySQL instance?

My thanks once again,

Luke

In reply to Kam Vento

by Tim Allen -
Use you MysqlAdmin tool to check the box under the security tab that allows the "use old password"

Hi Kam and other moodlers, smile

I think I have had this problem on a number of occasions previously too. It seems only to occur when I am installing new php applications. On pre-existing databases it works OK. (I recently upgraded MySQL, but haven't upgraded to PHP5 yet).

Anyway, I'm not sure where the security tab is. What software is the "mysqladmin tool", I know that is a command line tool in linux, there are no tabs there... Is it in IIS only? mixed

Thanks in advance for any help,
Tim.
In reply to Kam Vento

by Don Brown -

How do I install moodle on IIS 5.1

In reply to Luke Maslany

by Charles Scott -
I am having the EXACT same problem, only I do not have access to mysql to make changes there. The database is good because I have another program using it and it can reach that database just fine.

Ideas?
In reply to Charles Scott

by Luke Maslany -

Hi Charles,

Moodle was the only one I was struggling with - I had other programs using MySQL as a DB source too.  By using the old password compatability option, the problem was immediately resolved (thanks again Kim!).

I'd still like to know why the need for the old password compatability, but I can (for now) just live with the fact it does...