Upgrading to Hotpot for Moodle 2.0

Upgrading to Hotpot for Moodle 2.0

by Ammar Elhassan ElMerhbi -
Number of replies: 17

Hello Gordon,

I am facing an error when upgrading hotpot. I don't know if you can help. I get the error in the screen shot below , and whenever I click upgrade and continue this returns me back to the plugin upgrade page all over.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ammar Elhassan ElMerhbi

Re: Upgrading to Hotpot for Moodle 2.0

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Ammar,

the upgrade is not supposed to stop, even if it has a file problem, so I think the version of the HotPot module that you are using is not the latest.

Please could you donload the latest version of the HotPot module from the link below and try again:

thanks
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

Hi Gordon,

I have used the same version from http://bateson.kanazawa-gu.ac.jp/moodle/zip/moodle-20.hotpot-module.zip

I have now uninstalled and reinstalled hotpot but faced the same problem, the update stops. I am using Moodle 2.0.1. I don't see any problems when I debug the site. Has anyone faced the same problem?

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Ammar, Wha do you mean the "same version". I update that version every day so it is important that you remove your current version and replace it with the latest version. The latest version does not stop the upgrade if it has a problem with the files, so if your upgrade stops, that means you are not using the latest version. Hope that is clear smile Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I have already uninstalled the old version and used the new one ( from the link that you supplied). Same problem occurs.

by Gordon Bateson -

Please could you show me a screenshot of your latest error, and please make it large enough so that I can see the lines numbers and the script paths in the "Stack trace".

thanks
Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Below is a screenshot of the error.

by Gordon Bateson -

Thank you.

This error seems to come from a Moodle core script (lib/filestorage/file_storage.php, around line 640), when it is trying to add a record to the database. I'm afraid to go any further, you need a programmer to investigate why the record could not be inserted. Are you able to modify the Moodle scripts? Could you give me access to modify your Moodle scripts?

Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Have contacted my web host for this issue and this is how they responded "Unfortunately we will not be able to modify your script.
Are you sure you have the correct version of mod_hotpot?
Also check your file and directory permissions. The error says it can not create certian folders or files and fails because of that. Make sure that they files are writable by the webserver in order to allow it to upgrade. "

Do you need access to the cpanel or only as admin to moodle site?

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Ammar,

I had a think about this last night, and realized that maybe I only need a copy of your current database. Assuming that your server is using MySQL, please could you arrange for a MySQL dump of the Moodle database, then zip the file and put it somewhere on your webserver so that you can send me a link from where I can download it.

Please send the link to me in a private email:

• gordon at-sign kanazawa hyphen gu dot ac dot jp

Then I will test the upgrade on my own computers.

thanks
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -

Hello again Ammar,

before you try the MySQL dump, could you update your HotPot module one last time. I have just modified the HotPot update script, so that it tries to detect the situation that seems to be causing the error you have reported.

If you still get the error, then please send me a link to the zip file containing your MySQL dump.

thanks
Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Is there something wrong with the link? I have been trying since the morning but it downloads as 0 bytes after waiting for a long time.

by Gordon Bateson -

Sorry, the server was offline for a while. But I think it is back now. I just tried the link and it is working. Please could you try again?

thanks
Gordon

Hi Gordon,

I have downloaded hotpot successfully but I have the same problem. The hotpot refuses to continue updating only this time there is no file error. I am sending you now an email with my database hopefully you'll have a look at it and tell me wut and where the error is.

Thanks a lot for you support.

by Gordon Bateson -

Hi Ammar,

thank you very much for allowing me to come and get a copy of your database and Moodle data folder. I installed them on my local machine and they were very, very useful in helping me to understand how to make the HotPot file storage upgrade more robust.

I have taken the liberty of installing the new scripts on your server and intiating the upgrade. You will be pleased to know that this time the upgraded completed successfully, without any errors (see screenshot), and your site is now running Moodle 2.0 PLUS the HotPot module - yay!

many thanks
Gordon

Attachment ammar.upgrade.success.jpg

Hello Gordon,

I am really grateful for you timely support. What can I say, I am indebted smile I have sent you an email already regarding this issue. I want however to know what the error was, was it the moodle site? hotpot ? The reason for asking this is that I need to anticipate such problems before we install moodle 2.0 for our school as this site serves as a pilot.

Again, thanks a lottttttttttttttttt smile

by Gordon Bateson -

You're welcome.

The error was caused by a bug in the upgrade script of the HotPot module. It is fixed now, so I don't anticipate anymore problems upgrading files for the HotPot module.

Other parts of the module are not yet verified and tested. We need a little more time and effort there.

regards
Gordon