Web conferencing plugins

BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.0 available for download

Picture of Fred Dixon
BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.0 available for download

Blindside Networks announces the availability of the BigBlueButton Activity Modules for Moodle 1.9 and for Moodle 2.0.  BigBlueButton is an open source web conferencing system for distance education.

We're looking for your help to test these modules and give us feedback.

These two modules make it very easy for a teacher to define and join BigBlueButton virtual classrooms from within Moodle 1.9 or 2.0.

Using the activity module, a teacher can:

1. Add a BigBlueButton activity link to a class

2. Specify a name for the virtual classroom

3. Specify whether students must wait until a moderator joins the virtual classroom

BigBlueButton

We wanted to make it very simple to use.  When clicking on the activity link, students are automatically joined as viewers, while other users within Moodle (teachers, administrator, etc.) are joined as moderator.

The activity module allows users to see the active BigBlueButton rooms, showing a list of all the current users in each virtual classroom.  The activity module provides teachers the ability to 'end' a session, which ends the virtual class on the BigBlueButton server.

Monitor a room with BigBlueButton activity module

We’ve created two videos to show how the activity modules work.

For Moodle 1.9+:   http://blindsidenetworks.com/video/moodle19/index.html

For Moodle 2.0:  http://blindsidenetworks.com/video/moodle20/index.html

The modules are available for download and testing from http://blindsidenetworks.com/integration

We also encourage you to check out the other Moodle 1.9 module developed by Dual Code. Click here for more information.

Blindside Networks started the BigBlueButton open source project in 2007 to enable universities and colleges to deliver a high-quality learning experience to remote students.  We work with a world-wide team of developers to plan, develop, test, and package each BigBlueButton release to the open source community.

For more information on BigBlueButton (such as how to setup your own BigBlueButton server) see http://bigbluebutton.org/.

Regards,... Fred Dixon

http://blindsidenetworks.com/

Average of ratings:Useful (3)
Picture of Myles Carrick
Re: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.0 available for download
Group Developers
hi Fred,
It's looking great, mate.
Do you have a public source code repository (git, svn etc) for the plugin? Downloading a zip is great for mucking around, but if we're to seriously look at using it in production it's essential for my team that there be a public repository (like you have for BBB) - that way we can submit pull requests (patches) if we find bugs and track any customisations our teams perform.
Keep up the good work - really hope you can get the recording features of this live soon!
Myles C.

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Fred Dixon
Re: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.0 available for download

Hi Myels,

We were planning on doing this (you responding too quickly smile.

We've made the source available for the moodle19 and moodle20 activity modules at our GitHub account.

https://github.com/blindsidenetworks/bigbluebutton-integrations

> Keep up the good work - really hope you can get the recording features of this live soon!

We've been working on it for months.  It's a tough nut to crack, but we know if we do it right, then everyone will benefit.  You can see the road map for BigBlueButton here:

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/RoadMap

If you want to help out, then spread the word about this integration.  We provide commerical support for BigBlueButton to universities and colleges, and the revenues from those support contracts go directly into the core development of features such as record and playback.

Regards,... Fred

Picture of Ajaz Ali

Hi Fred,

The BBB project is an excellent attempt. I appreciate that. I have installed it on my moodle and am encountering few problems.

I can hear others talk but when I speak but my voice doesn’t go to others. I can hear my own voice back from my speakers after a while.

What could be the possible reason for this?

I have moodle 2.0 on an ISP server

regards

Ali

Picture of David Lebron
BBB Moodle 2.0 Blindside Networks plugin errors

I downloaded and installed the Moodle Blindside Networks 2.x Plugin but am getting errors after creating a link and clicking link.  I am using Moodle 2.0.2 Build 20110221.  Install was ok, problem is when executing from link.  Am running BBB 0.71 on dedicated Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server.

Errors are: (Please help)

Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct() [simplexmlelement.--construct]: Entity: line 6: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: hr line 5 and body in /web/moodle/mod/bigbluebutton/bbb_api/bbb_api.php on line 42

Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct() [simplexmlelement.--construct]: </body> in /web/moodle/mod/bigbluebutton/bbb_api/bbb_api.php on line 42

Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct() [simplexmlelement.--construct]: ^ in /web/moodle/mod/bigbluebutton/bbb_api/bbb_api.php on line 42

Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct() [simplexmlelement.--construct]: Entity: line 7: parser error : Opening and ending tag mismatch: body line 3 and html in /web/moodle/mod/bigbluebutton/bbb_api/bbb_api.php on line 42

Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct() [simplexmlelement.--construct]: </html> in /web/moodle/mod/bigbluebutton/bbb_api/bbb_api.php on line 42

Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct() [simplexmlelement.--construct]: ^ in /web/moodle/mod/bigbluebutton/bbb_api/bbb_api.php on line 42

Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct() [simplexmlelement.--construct]: Entity: line 8: parser error : Premature end of data in tag html line 1 in /web/moodle/mod/bigbluebutton/bbb_api/bbb_api.php on line 42

Warning: SimpleXMLElement::__construct() [simplexmlelement.--construct]: in /web/moodle/mod/bigbluebutton/bbb_api/bbb_api.php on line 42

Exception - String could not be parsed as XML
Stack trace:
  • line 42 of /mod/bigbluebutton/bbb_api/bbb_api.php: Exception thrown
  • line 42 of /mod/bigbluebutton/bbb_api/bbb_api.php: call to SimpleXMLElement->__construct()
  • line 275 of /mod/bigbluebutton/bbb_api/bbb_api.php: call to bbb_wrap_simplexml_load_file()
  • line 98 of /mod/bigbluebutton/view.php: call to BigBlueButton::createMeetingArray()

Picture of Fred Dixon
Re: BBB Moodle 2.0 Blindside Networks plugin errors

Hi David,

Thanks for sharing this error. We're in the process of updating the module and we'll take a look at reproducing the errors you see with Moodle 2.0.2.

I'll post an update here when we've figoure out why these errors are occuring.

Regards,... fred

Picture of Stephen Dame

I have 2.0.2+ running a couple of servers,  seems to be working fine... these were installed as 2.0.1 and then upgraded.

regards.

Stephen

hostbbb.com

Picture of Alex Lydiate

I've had exactly the same issue - in my case it was me being foolish and not reading the instructions, specifically not appending '/bigbluebutton/' to the end of the URL in the module settings.

Of course, I spent a couple of hours first convincing myself it was some kind of deep-rooted code or networking issue.

Mary Cooch
Re: BBB Moodle 2.0 No Grouping option
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

I can't seem to allocate a BBB instance to a grouping as the setting isn't there - am I missing something or is BBB missing the setting?mixed

Picture of António Vilela
Group Translators

Hi Fred,

Any news on these bugs reported here?

Is it safe to implement BBB with 2.1 now?

Thanks

AV

Picture of Jonas Asa.

Hi.

Extending AV's question... when should we expect a release for 2.1?

Thank you so much for your work.

JA

Picture of Fred Dixon

We're currently working on getting BigBlueButton 0.8 to beta and the updates to the Moodle plugin will soon follow.

I'll post another update as soon as 0.8 hits beta.

Regards,... Fred

http://blindsidenetworks.com/

Picture of Mira Vogel

Hi Fred, all

Using BBB at Goldsmiths on a test installation of Moodle 2.1, and planning to launch on Aug 15th. This is Goldsmiths' first institutional web conferencing software, so the first thing to say is that we are delighted and very appreciative of the work you and other developers have done.

A few bits of feedback (and I was not responsible for installing BBB or integrating it, so some of my points may relate to settings I'm currently unaware of - thanks in advance for your patience with this.)

1. On two occasions I have found that the meeting doesn't open. The only solution I have discovered for this is to set up a fresh one. Anybody else having this issue or am I doing something dim?
  2. Passwords for both attendee and moderator are required fields. They could do with an Unmask checkbox to avoid transcription errors. 
  3. Despite setting them, I have never been prompted for a password when entering a meeting as either Moderator or Attendee, which is strange.
  4. Haven't found a setting to allow Attendees to enter the meeting before a Moderator.
  5. The 'Application window' setting doesn't seem to affect how the BBB meeting opens. I have tried both Current and New settings but both open in the same window. I am using the most recent version of Firefox on a Window and a Mac.
  6. I'm having trouble with accessing the BBB information through the Activities block too - but I think this is down to a problem with our database and am pursuing that separately.

Other than that, it is very easy to use, and I heartily congratulate you. Looking forward to recording, also a whiteboard you can type into and draw on, and an integrated polling tool. But that said, what a lovely thing BBB is! And you simply don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

I am writing some documentation which I will share for reuse/adaptation when I've finished.

Yours,

Mira

Picture of Mira Vogel

Now able to answer my own question - <a href="http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=182052#p792480">this discussion</a> reveals that there are currently two BigBlueButton plugins with the same name, one by BlindSide and one by DualCode. Hence my above confusion over settings.

Picture of Fred Dixon

Sorry about the confusion.  We're working it out with Anthony. 

For the moment, we're still testing our BigBlueButton activity module with Moodle 2.1, so don't install yet.

Regards,... Fred

Picture of andrea giorgini

Hey Fred,

same problem here: moodle 2.0.1, plugin installed, when I add the activity I get:

Exception - String could not be parsed as XML

Any solution yet?

Thanks a lot

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Andrea,

When configuring the plugin, you may be entering in the BigBlueButton URL as

http://<host>/

but you need to enter it as

http://<host>/bigbluebutton/

Check that your URL ends in '/bigbluebutton/'.   Let us know if the above gets you going.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Hi Fred,

thank you very much for your quick answer. Actually I tried both ways, with the same result. Do I miss something?

Thanks a lot

Hey,

a further info that might help: I successfully installed BBB 0.8, when I browse my server to it, I get the welcome page. But then if I put a name and click to join, I get:

The requested URL /demo/demo1.jsp was not found on this server.

Plus, this is my production server, where apache and moodle are running, so I had to set BBB to work to another port (8181).

Can u help?

Thanks a lot

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Andrea,

> The requested URL /demo/demo1.jsp was not found on this server.

In BigBlueButton 0.8-beta you need to install the API demos (in 0.71a they were installed by default).  See this step in the instructions

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/08InstallationUbuntu#5._Install_API_Demos

> Plus, this is my production server, where apache and moodle are running, so I had to set BBB to work to another port (8181).

We strongly recommend you install BigBlueButton on a separate dedicated server.  Both applications (Moodle and BigBlueButton) need port 80, and BigBlueButton in particular needs port 80 to enable tunnling for remote clients behind a firewall.

As well, BigBlueButton uses nginx for it's webserver to proxy incomnig request to the various BigBlueButton components: red5, tomcat6, and the desktop sharing server.  You probably have apache running on port 80 already which is preventing nginx from binding to that port.

You'll find it much easier to install, configure, and upgrade both Moodle and BigBlueButton if they are on separate servers.  

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Hi,

thank you for answering. Of course I did installed the demo, that's why I don't understand why it doesnt work. And, as being a sys admin I've read all your advices, and the docs, getting ngix correctly running on port 8181. Unfortunately I can't have 2 separate servers.

Any other tip?

Picture of Fred Dixon

> Any other tip?

We strongly recommend installing BigBlueButton on a separate server.  

In development of BigBlueButton, we don't test running it on the same server as an LMS.  Both are web applications, and both require similar internet ports.

In the past, when we've seen others attempt to run BigBlueButton on the same server as their LMS, we observed the following problems:

1) There are many configuration issues with both servers running on the same computer.  The prime of which is determining the use of port 80.

2) Running BigBlueButton on a different port disables tunneling for remote users

3) Upgrading once system can affect the other

4) BigBlueButton is a real-time system and processing the audio, video, desktop, and presentation data in real-time for multiple students takes dedicated CPU.

The last point is one that people sometimes overlook.  In Moodle, your server can respond to a page request in 100ms or 300ms and the difference isn't material for an end user.  

In a real time system, a response time of 100ms or 300ms is material to audio conferenceing, for example.  

We recommend using BigBlueButton for sessions of 25 users or less.  That's an arbitrary number, and it's entirely dependent on the host CPU for the BigBlueButton server.  Someone can rightly point out that it's risky for us to give any guidance for maxim number of users as we don't have control over the hardware on which people install BigBlueButton.

We do know that if you install BigBlueButton on a dedicated server, there are less variables.  If you test a BigBlueButton server with your friends (or have us stress test your server), you can find out how many simultaneous users it can support.  

If the server is not dedicated, such as your running an LMS on the same server, then you now have a much more variable environment that's harder to provision for virtual classrooms.  A test of the BigBlueButon server today might yeild X simultaneous users, but if you have an active LMS on the same server, then later use of the server might yeild a much smaller number of simultaneous users.  The first reaction in such cases is "BigBlueButton can't handle X users", where again X was done on an earlier test.

So, long way of saying if you install BigBlueButton on it's own, dedicated server:

1.  You'll save yourself a lot of time and effort in configuring BigBlueButton (it should just work after you go through the installation instructions).

2.  You won't impact the performance of your LMS

3.  You'll get more deterministic results from using your BigBlueButton server in terms of number of simultaneous users.  Furthermore, your users will get a more consisten experience as the load on the BigBlueButton server will be indepenedent of the load on your LMS.

4.  You'll have flexibility to update both BigBlueButton and your LMS independently

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton developer

Hey Fred,

thank you for the explanation, I understand everything but unfortunately we cannot afford a new server, so I guess this is just not the right product for us. I will keep your considerations in mind anyway, everything u say is very important. Still, as a senior system administrator, I find a lack on the installation of BBB, as I said everything went fine during installation process, I was able to customize ports, finding all the configuration files, so I really don't understand why it shouldn't work.

Thank you

Picture of mohammad miri

hi ,

i downloaded BBB and it works great.but when starting BBB it says that its a demo server, HOW can i change that server to my own server? and which kind of server is need?

i think,  should change the source code but i dont know how!

plz help me

thx

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Mohammad,

You should be able to change the URL and security salt to point to your own BigBlueButton server.  

Login as administrator and edit the settings for the activity module.

To setup your own BigBlueButton server, see http://bigbluebutton.org/

Regards,... Fred

Picture of umesh chavan

hii fred, I have installed the plugin bbb with our moodle ver1.9.13.. after installation it shows like this...

bigbluebuttonUrl

bigbluebuttonSalt

modulename:

it seems the language is missing or similar problem...

pls guide us....

secondly whether this tool can be used freely for our educational institute? as it shows demo server, what does it mean?

pls guide us...

thanks

umesh

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi umesh,

Yes, the language files for the module only include English at the moment.  If you copy

<moodle_install_dir>/lang/en_utf8/bigbluebutton.php

to the directory corresponding to your language

<moodle_install_dir>/lang/XX/bigbluebutton.php

And add the translations, you should see properly translated strings.

BigBlueButton can be freely used at educational institutions.  It's licensed under the LGPL license.  You are free to download and setup your own server.  The insructions for setup are here:

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/InstallationUbuntu

Regards,... Fred

Blindside Networks

Jon

I have been able to successfully create/start meetings with BBB on my Moodle sites, but when a non admin user logs in and tries to join a meeting on the main page it tells them they need to log in with an authenticated account. They are logged into the site with a Moodle account which should serve as an authenticated account.

In a course instance of a BBB meeting, the student is continually told that it is waiting for a Moderator to join the meeting when the moderator has already started it.

Another strange occurrence is that this server is tied to two Moodle sites and the other seems to be working fine. 

I have rebooted the server and all (both sites) is working again. Is there anything I can do to keep this kind of thing from happening?

Jon

And the problem is back. No guests can enter, but when they try to log in they are told they need to log in with an authenticated account. If they are able to see the option to join they are told they're waiting for a moderator to join, etc. All the same stuff I wrote above.

Any suggestions?

Picture of Damian Griffiths

Hello, all,

I am trying to set up BBB on Moodle 2.1.1+ (Build: 20110811)and am running into a curious issue.  My site is still in demo / development stages and I previously installed BBB successfully on a different installation of Moodle (possibly using version 2.0.0 - I'm really not sure.)  I am, at this stage, only trying to use the demo server at http://test-install.blindsidenetworks.com/bigbluebutton/

BBB installed fine but when I log in for a session, the browser is pointing at http://192.168.53.20(which is my server)/mod/bigbluebutton/view.php?id=2 and I receive the following message:  "error/You must specify a name for the meeting."

three questions: 

1) have I forgotten to update a setting in a file somewhere? (presumably I need to tell it to point at http://test-install.blindsidenetworks.com/bigbluebutton/ somewhere - but where?)

2) is it compatible only with older versions of Moodle - i.e. 2.0 or lower?

3) Do bananas grow in the jungle? (For example.)

If anyone can help I would be very grateful!

Thanks,

Damian

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Damian,

Could you try using the new BigBlueButton plugin at 

http://blindsidenetworks.com/integration#moodle2021 

This is an updated version of our Moodle 2.0 (and now 2.1) plugin.  It has all the features of the older version, but will also work with the updated test-install.blindsidenetworks.com server.

Try the above plugin and let us know if it resolves your problem.

Regards,... Fred
Blindside Networks

Hi Fred,

I will certainly try that and will let you know how I get on - thank you very much for the reponse.

Best wishes,

Damian

Hello, Fred,

I installed the version you suggesed and, unfortunately, there is no change - except thet there is now no error message.  It is still pointing at my server and not at the blindsidenetworks' server.  I'm thinking there must be a setting I need to update in a system file somewhere.  Any suggestions??

Thanks for your help!

Damian

Picture of Paola Castro S

Buen día Fred Dixon

Se que este foro no es en español, pero no domino el inglés y apelo a tu experiencia con BBB y por eso escribo para pedir tu ayuda - URGENTE.  Instalé el módulo BBB para Moodle 1.9.9 y con los datos Server URL y Security Salt que vienen por defecto.  Pero esta versión demo ya no está habilitada y me gustaría saber si para usarlo debo instalar el servidor BBB.  Ahora de ser así, no sé como debo hacerlo; yo adquirí un hosting web con Linux y Server IP shareden GoDaddy.com y otro con Nic.com (10 GB).  Moodle lo tengo instalado en DoDaddy. No sé si es posible instalarlo en alguno de ellos y cómo debo hacerlo.

Gracias.

Picture of m. p.
در پاسخ به: Re: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.0 available for download

Hello, Fred,

when i want to enter this madule i have this error:

error/You must specify a name for the meeting.

before i could connected but now i have this error

thanks

Picture of Fred Dixon
Re: در پاسخ به: Re: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.0 available for download

Hi m.p.

Thanks for pointing this you.   Your using the Moodle 1.9 activity Module from Blindside Networks against test-install.blindsidenetworks.com.

We'll be deploying an updated BigBlueButton 0.8-beta build to test-install in a few day.  After which, you won't see that message.

I'll post a follow-up message to this thread when we've updated the server.

Regards,... Fred
BigBlueButton Developer 

Picture of Jesus Federico

Hola Paola,

Definitivamente necesitas un servidor con BBB para manejar las sesiones. Puedes encontrar mas informacion de BigBlueButton en http://www.bigbluebutton.org y como instalar tu propio server en http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/08InstallationUbuntu 

En esas paginas encontraras tambien los requerimientos del Servidor. El hospedaje compartido de godaddy no te sirve para correr un servidor BBB, necesitaras al menos un servidor virtual con linux y acceso a la consola con root. Y preferentemente ubuntu 10.04 pues todo esta configurado para esta distribucion.

Suerte!

Hola Jesus,

Gracias por tu sugerencia.  Estoy probando con el con el servidor de prueba http://blindsidenetworks.com/integration#moodle19 mientras adquiero el servidor BBB o lo instalo en uno virtual.  Pero se me está presentando los siguientes problemas... 

Ingreso a la actividad BBB y cuando ingresa alguien más, no logro verlo hasta no actualizar (F5).

La imagen de la cam se queda congelada y vuelvo a dar click en el icono de la cam y me aparece otro usuario conectado con mi id, es decir puede aparecer en la misma charla varios usuarios con mi id. 

Además habilito el microfono y no me aparece en el recuadro "Hablando" o "Listeners"

Puedo hacer algo para optimizar el uso BBB ¿?

Gracias de antemano por tu ayuda.

Hola de nuevo Paola,

Antes que nada queria comentarte que hice una instalacion nueva de moodle 1.9 y el plugin de BBB apuntando al server de prueba y no experimente ningun problema. Entonces vamos viendo tu caso en particular.

<Ingreso a la actividad BBB y cuando ingresa alguien más, no logro verlo hasta no actualizar (F5).

El cliente es una aplicacion flash que debe refrescarse automaticamente, yo estoy utilizando en Windows

chrome 14.0.835.202 con flash 11.0.1.152,

safari 5.1 (7534.50) con flash 10.3.183.7, tambien

explorer 9.0.8112.16421 con flash 10.3.181.14,

opera 11.51 (10.87) con flash 10.3.183.7

Me puedes decir las versiones que utilizas?, puede ser un problema con el browser o con la version de flash que estas usando

>La imagen de la cam se queda congelada y vuelvo...

Lo mismo que el anterior. Aunque si, puede haber varios usuarios que aparezcan con el mismo nombre, es decir tu misma puedes abrir varias sesiones con tu misma cuenta

Hola Paola, 

Yo otra vez smile

Estoy muy interesado en reproducir el error que estas teniendo, me podrias confirmar la version de browser y flash que estas usando. Eso me seria de mucha ayuda.

Gracias

Jesus

Picture of Luis Carlos Mariaca Choque

Jesus Federico buenas noches,

espero su ayuda, ya que yo no puedo mas, mi caso es similar al de paola pero la diferencia es que yo si llevo los dos sistemas en dos servidores diferentes, resumo

un vps para BBB 0.8-beta-2 y en otro servidor moodle 2.0.5+

segui las instrucciones de BigBlueButton Moodle 2.0/2.1 Activity Module

hasta ahi todo bien pero cuando en el panel administrador le doy Agregar Recurso, tengo el mensaje

Excepción - String could not be parsed as XML

probe cambiando los vinculos pero nada, nose si es permitido poner vinculos pero estoy trabajando via IP porque BBB lo tengo en un solo servidor como dije pruebo http://xx.xx.xx.xx/bigbluebutton/http://xx.xx.xx.xx/http://xx.xx.xx.xx/demo/demo.jsppero ninguno me da resultado espero comentario muchas gracias desde ya

atte,

Luis Carlos

Hi Luis Carlos, 

I am going to answer this one in English since it is the language for this forum and someone else could have the same problem. I am also member of the Spanish forum though, so perhaps you should open a thread there. You can count on I am going to answer you all there smile

The problem in your case is that the server you are pointing is not answering you with the proper xml format, this suggest that:

1) You have a configuration problem in the ServerURL or Salt either because is a bad format or because you are not pointing to the right server

2) Your BBB server is not working fine.

You can test you Moodle installation with the defaults, without any change and just to test the connection it should be just fine.

To test your own BBB server you can do a call like this

http://test-install.blindsidenetworks.com/bigbluebutton/api/

And you should receive something like this:

<response><returncode>SUCCESS</returncode><version>0.8</version></response>

Or if you have some experience in development you can test the urls and the BBB servers with the apybuddy tool

http://www.omarshammas.com/post/7291863049/bigbluebutton-api-buddy 

http://www.omarshammas.com/bbbapibuddy

Please keep us posted with the results of your tests.

Good luck

Jesus Federico

Picture of Luis Carlos Mariaca Choque

hi, look i try with this link but the problem is the same, and my BBB i see this link and i have this message

<response>

<returncode>SUCCESS</returncode>
<version>0.8</version>
</response>
and i use moodle with default configuration, any idea pls?
thanks for your help

Picture of Sarai Solis
help with Bigbluebutton

Hello, I'm new using this and I have problems.

I'm testing moodle 2.1 and I add the Bigbluebutton and he always asked me for the server and I try to use the same link for server http://test-install.blindsidenetworks.com/bigbluebutton/

And it doesn’t works and I don’t know what else to do, I try to add my own server but it doesn’t work too,

Please could you help me smile

Saraí

Picture of Fred Dixon
Re: help with Bigbluebutton

Hi Sarai,

Hmmm...  there are two ways the plugin should work

(1) If you use the default values, it shoudl work out-of-the-box with the test-install server.

or

(2) If you setup your own BigBlueButton server, you should be able to login to the server at the terminal and type

bbb-conf --salt

to get the URL and salt for your BigBlueButton server.  If you enter these values into the Moodle integration, it should work.

Can try (1) again and let us know if the default values work.  I just tested them and the worked for me.

Regards,... Fred

http://bigbluebutton.org/

P.S.  Can you also install the updated version of the plugin for Moodle 2.0/2.1.  See http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=166528

Picture of Sarai Solis
Re: help with Bigbluebutton

Thank you very much I will try right now and I will let you know.

thanks

hi Fred,

I have moodle 1.9.  bbb installed the module on the page http://blindsidenetworks.com/integration#moodle19, and use the default valuesconfigure the settings for the activity module.  I initially worked, but now i add a Bigbluebutton activity link to the class when a user clicks on the link directing to blank http://test-install.blindsidenetworks.com/client/BigBlueButton.html.

what should i do?

thanks

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Paola,

We've just updated test-install.bigbluebutton.org.  It should now work with the Moodle 1.9 plugin.

Also, we've added dialog box to enalbe the user to check that their audio and microphone are working correctly before joining the voice conference.  You'll see it when you click the headset icon.

Here's a diagram of the workflow:

preflight

This should help users makes sure their audio is coming through their headset (to avoid echo) and the currently selected microphone is active.

The strings in the dialog box are currently english, but we'll have them localized in the next update to 0.8-beta.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of Prof Iyer

Hi Fred i'm a newbie here so this might be very basic. have used moodle in my univ, though. I want to teach online and moodle + bluebutton seems to be what i'd like to go for. Are there any companies that will host moodle server and blue button server and also my web server  for me to be able to do online teaching? if i buy a domain for my site, can i integrate moodle and bluebutton in my own site so that i can do all the teaching from my site? Any idea what will it cost per annum?

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi there,

Check out

http://bigbluebutton.org/support

for a list of companies that provide commerical support and hosting for BigBlueButton. 

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

C'est moi :-)
Re: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.x - French translation for 2.x
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi Fred,

Thanks for this BigBlueButton activity plugins smile

You'll find attached a french translation of 2.x BigBlueButton activity, to integrate in your official distribution of the plugin.

Re: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.x - French translation for 2.x

Hi Séverin Terrier,

Thanks for your contribution. I am attaching a new php that includes some strings that are not included in the current version.

This is because we are working on making some changes in order to have support for Moodle groups. So, some new messages will need to be translated as well.

It would be awsome if we can count with your help to include the french language as part of the new distribution that will be released very soon.

Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

Hi Jesus,

I've seen that there's a new version of the plugin. So, i've installed it, and translated new strings.

You'll find attached the new french translation, completed.

Thanks again. The file is part of the new package that will be released this week. smile

Cool smile

If you can better integrate this new version...

And also this recordingsBN french translation wink

Hi,

Thanks for the update. Although we have had already uploaded the zip when I read this post.

We are now using myGengo for collaborative translations. It would be awsome if you can take a look on it and edit or review the strings directly.

http://mygengo.com/string/p/bigbluebuttonbn-1/dashboard

The idea is that if we add any new string in the future, it would be easier for everyone to update and for us to integrate.

Regards

Hi,

I've asked for this...

On the other hand, working directly in Moodle allows to really view, directly and in context, if the translation is really the good one wink

But i understand it's easier for you to manage all translations in one place.

Picture of Jonas Asa.

Hi. I've requested participation in the translation process of the module, using mygengo.com but I haven't received a reply. I am able to collaborate in the Portuguese translation (Portugal, European, International). Basically, the PT-BR translation just needs a few modifications.

Interesting, I have not received any request. I'll send you a message in few minutes.

Thanks

Picture of imbu danilot

I am sorry to come up with another issue with BBB but I cannot help...

$release  = '2.1.1+ (Build: 20110928)'

I get the following error, despite I have tried with both the default test server and another server set up by 207me:

Unable to connect. Please check the url of the BigBlueButton server AND check to see if the BigBlueButton server is running.

Any idea what could be causing that?

Picture of imbu danilot

some more information when debugging is ON:

Unable to connect. Please check the url of the BigBlueButton server AND check to see if the BigBlueButton server is running.

More information about this error

Stack trace:
•line 429 of /lib/setuplib.php: moodle_exception thrown
•line 31 of /mod/bigbluebuttonbn/mod_form.php: call to print_error()
•line 154 of /lib/formslib.php: call to mod_bigbluebuttonbn_mod_form->definition()
•line 71 of /course/moodleform_mod.php: call to moodleform->moodleform()
•line 219 of /course/modedit.php: call to moodleform_mod->moodleform_mod() 

a funny message is given after installing, for some reason it is picking up  one of the test role I set up (CICCIO).

not sure why, I have not asked him to do so.

notification

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi imbu,

We just released a new version of the BigBlueButtonBN Activity module (1.0.4 beta) earlier today.  I just tried installing on Moodle 2.1.2 and it worked for me.

We're not sure if this will fix the error your encountering.  Can you upgrade your BigBlueButtonBN plugin and try it again using the default test-install server.  

Let us know if you still receive the error.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Hi Imbu,

What version of the Moodle module and BigBlueButton server are you using?

Picture of imbu danilot

Many thanks for your replies.

I will be very happy to test the new code but where do I download it from?

http://blindsidenetworks.com/integration

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=3524

my Moodle installation is $release  = '2.1.1+ (Build: 20110928)'

we tried both with BBB 0.71a and 0.8, plus the testing server as previously mentioned.

Cheers

Imbu

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi imbu,

We recommend you download the latest BigBlueButtonBN and RecordingsBN from the new Moodle Plugin Database at

http://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_bigbluebuttonbn

and

http://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_recordingsbn

Why are there two plugins?  BigBlueButtonBN provides you the ability to embed BigBlueButton links within Moodl, while RecordingsBN enables you to access the previously recorded lectures.  The 'BN' is for Blindside Networks.  We're the company that started the BigBlueButton project in 2007.

You can download a single zip file (it contains both plugins) from http://blindsidenetworks.com/integration, but we recommend using the above links.

Finally, the link to http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=3524 is for the DualCode BigBlueButton integration, which we recommend you try out as well.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of imbu danilot

Hello Fred,

I downloaded and installed BBB

$module->version  = 2011100405;

Not sure if it is the one you wanted me to try.

unfortunately same error however this time I do not see the application showing any role set up.

if there is anything I can do to help you out troubleshoot this please let me know.

Thanks

Imbu

Picture of imbu danilot

Hello, any news on this?

Picture of imbu danilot

question for you.

I have discovered xmlrpc is not enabled in my host.

could that be the root of cause of such an issue?

Thanks

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Imbu,

I've just messaged you directly to see if you are comfortable giving us (temporary) access to your Moodle site.  

This would help us take a closer look why the BigBlueButtonBN activity module is not working for your site.

If we can solve your problem, I'll post a summary to this discussion thread to let others know why it wasn't working in case they run into the same problems.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of imbu danilot

for whoever may enconter the same problem: I fixed this by defining the outgoing connection into my host control panel.

apparently, for security reasons, some hosts do not allow outgoing connections unless manually set up in their control panel.

hope it helps.

Jon

I'm back! Still using 1.9. I've got an updated version of BBB up and running, but on one of the sites I've tried to upgrad the plugin and now I get this:

><response>
><returncode>FAILED</returncode>
><messageKey>invalidPassword</messageKey>
>−
><message>
>You either did not supply a password or the password supplied is neither the >attendee or moderator password for this conference.
></message>
></response>

When setting up the activity it did not ask for a password.

Hi,

I've worked a little on Moodle 2.1, but our main Moodle site is still using Moodle 1.9.

Will you update your Moodle 1.9 BBB activity to use all features of BBB 0.8, allowing for example recording an then viewing recorded sessions ?

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Séverin,

It was no small amount of effort to get the BigBlueButtonBN activity module updated for supporting record and playback for Moodle 2.0 and 2.1.

We would like to see some customer pull before updating the Moodle 1.9 module to support record and playback.  That way, if there isn't any need for it right now Moodle 1.9, we can focus on efforts on BigBlueButton.

If you are at a University or College that wants to use BigBlueButton 0.8 for record and playback and want to see BigBlueButtonBN supported in Moodle 1.9, please let us know!

Regards,... Fred

Blindside Networks

Picture of Sergio Rabellino

We at the university of Torino (italy, CS dept) are using BBB on our platforms based on 1.9 and we're interested in the backport of these new features. thanks for your effort.

Hi Fred,

Yes, i really understand you put ressources on present and futur versions.

But i think that most universities are still using Moodle 1.9, and preparing migration to 2.x, but only on summer 2012...

It's the case for "Université Toulouse 1 Capitole", where i'm working. And i know that it's the same for a lot of other universities...

Séverin

Picture of Michal Paras

Hi, 

I have to moodle installations 1.9.10 and 2.1+ both using the same BBB server. As far as 2.1 is ok 1.9 seems to have some problems. When I log in as staff/moderator it works fine, but students are getting 

"You must specify a name for the meeting." 

error. Do you know what the problem might be? 

Regards,

Michal

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Michael,

Is your BigBlueButton server running 0.8-beta1 (did you install 0.8 before October 7th)?

If so, can you upgrade your server to 0.8-beta2 (see beta2 announcement).

After the upgrade, let us know if you still have the "You must specify a name" message.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Picture of Michal Paras

Hi Fred, 

thx for info. Yes, i do have 0.8-beta1 and was going to coment out some code in ApiController.groovy

"

if (StringUtils.isEmpty(params.name)) {
invalid("missingParamName", "You must specify a name for the meeting.");
return
}" 

but might as well upgrade the whole system. I will let you know if I have any problems or update went smoothly! 
----
THX it seems to solve the problem!

Picture of Konrad Lorinczi

We at the College of Dunaujvaros (Hungary) are using BBB v0.8 on our platforms based on 1.9 and we're also interested in the backport of recording features.

There is NO plan to upgrade to Moodle v2.x nowadays.
We have a stable Moodle v1.9, with some custom developments, so we are sticking to v1.9.

Picture of Nabab Dhakar

Hi Fred Dixon,

I am interested to know about effort in creating moodle 1.9.11 version for bigbluebutton recordings and playback feature.

Regards

Nabab Dhakar

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Nabab,

As the co-author of the BigBlueButtonBN integrations (Moodle 1.9 and 2.x), I can share with you we've worked on the 2.x integration for months.

For us to update the Moodle 1.9 integration to support record and playback, we estimate it would take weeks of effort.   

If you are with a university or college that is using record and playback fetures of BigBlueButton with Moodle 1.9.x, please e-mail me with details.  No promises, and to be clear, we'd be looking for some customer pull before committing to the effort.

In the absence of any pull, we could still invest the weeks of effort, but time is a precious commodity.  I believe the majority of our community would rather us invest that effort into improving the BigBlueButton integration for Moodle 2.x and to improving BigBlueButton itself. 

Regards,... Fred

--

BigBlueButton Developer

not cusack

Fantastic module, Fred! Absolutely amazing :D

Quick question: does the server software run on CentOS as well?

Cheers,

Guido

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Guido,

We actually had support for CentOS about two years ago, but the work of packaging and testing a release for both CentOS and Ubuntu took way too much time.

After that release, we made a decision to focus on one distribution so we could invest more of our resources into BigBlueButton itself.

For more information, see our FAQ entry for CentOS support.

Regards,... Fred
BigBlueButton developer

Picture of imbu danilot

Hello Big Blue Button Team,

I have been running some tests and I would like to understand few things.

the organization I am supporting stresses the importanc of video conferencing and audio quality.

My tests with ver 0.71 were not that impressive.

I wonder if .8 is improved.

From the little I read I would think the audio is.
not clear if the video performance is supposed to be improved too and then again I would think it is because, I now see there is a 1280x720 resolution option when I start sharing my WEB camera not available on 0.71 (at least this is what I could see in your demo link available).

could you please answer the above question? is the video and audio quality improved on 0.8?
sorry if I mention competitors, but our reference (willy nilly) is skype and we need to ensure end users will not go for the other option because our internal video conference tool is not up to the job.

Also I would like to understand a little better to which a extension I can consider this a limitation of BBB of the infrastructure in use by the application (HW client, HW server, bandwidth...)

from the server perspective I see the following calculations:

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/FAQ#What_are_the_bandwidth_requirements_for_running_a_BigBlueButton

now from the client side, if I use a 320x240 resolution, will the required bandwidth be the same as described above? (that is 30-50 kbytes/second per stream)

I would assume yes.

will 640x480 be just double than that? that is about 60-100 kbytes/second per stream

and if I select the 1280x720?

will again that be doublingm, 120-200 kbytes/second per stream?

thanks!
Imbu

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Imbu,

For BigBlueButton 0.8, our main focus has been adding the ability to record and playback sessions.  

We did much work on improving the audio in 0.8 as well .. for more information see the release notes for 0.8-beta-2.  The video remains unchanged from 0.71a to 0.8.

BTW, Skype audio and video is very good for one-to-one collaboration.  The architecture of skype is peer-to-peer, whereas in BigBlueButton all the communication goes through the BigBlueButton server (which enables us to later record the session).

If you have needs for one-to-one collaboration that is not integrated with Moodle, Skype is very good option.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of imbu danilot

Thanks Fred,

if I understand it correctly then to have a reasonable performance of audio/video you will need about 800 kbps as upstream.

That is as per the comments reported in your link hereby reported.

would you confirm that?

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/FAQ#What_are_the_bandwidth_requirements_for_running_a_BigBlueButton

If the presenter has only 100 KByte/second upstream, then performing VoIP, video, and desktop sharing will fit within that upstream constraint. In reality, red5/Flash does a good job of using limited bandwidth and it actually works quite well....

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Imbu,

You should be good with 800 kbps upstream for sending both video (320x200) and voice from a BigBlueButton client.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of imbu danilot

Hello Fred,

many thanks for your continous support, this is very much appreciated.

unfortunately now I have another issue I do not know how to resolve.

When i try to initiate a recording BBB session I get the following error:

Error reading from database

I enabled full debug to see if any other message would come but nothing.... 

mixed

any idea?

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi imbu,

Would it be possible to provide us (temporary) remote access to your server to take a closer look?

If so, please message me directly.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of Mariano Maluf

Hello Fred, I'm doing tests with the bigbluebutton and works well, but the audio volume is very low. Tested with different equipment, and always listen to the audio is low. You have some documentation to fix this problem? thank you very much. Mariano.

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Mariano,

Which version of BigBlueButton are you using?  Can you try joining our demo server at

http://demo.bigbluebutton.org/

and let us know if the audio sounds different.  You can test by joining from two different browsers (such as Chrome and Safari), joining the voice in both, and muting yourself in one.  Then, when you talk, it will go through one browser and back in the other.

Our demo server is running BigBlueButton 0.8-beta.  In 0.8-beta, you have an Audio Settings dialog that will appear when you join the voice conference.

You can click the 'Change Microhpone' button in the Audio Settings to access the Flash Settings dialog to increaes the sensitivity of your microphone.  See

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/08Overview#Audio_Settings_Dialog

Try logging into the demo server, adjusting the sensitivity of your microphone, and let us know if your audio sounds better.

Regards,... Fred

BigBlueButton Developer
http://bigbluebutton.org/

Picture of Fulvia Lami

Hi Fred,

We have a problem with our bigblubutton integration. We have a dedicated server just to run bbb and the module installed on our moodle 1.9.

Everything is working properly exept for the voice, when the moderator or student click on the microphone abilitation nothing happen and the students just hear a music!!!

Do you have any suggest on how to solve the problem?

Thanks

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Fulvia,

A few questions:

1.  Who setup your BigBlueButton server (did you do it or have someone externally)?  

2.  Has the server IP address changed recently?  

3.  What version of BigBlueButton are you running?

You should be able to restart BigBlueButton with the following command

sudo bbb-conf --restart

Let us know if that gets the audio going for you.  

Regards,... Fred
BigBlueButton Developer 

Hi,

You must have at least 2 people connected to the same conference room, with voice enable. You hear music when only 1 personne is voice connected...

Hi,

I've just made a test (with 5 other people) with several Moodle and BBB versions, and here's a summary :

• First one, with Moodle 1.9, BN plugin, and BBB 0.71a (installed in our university) : it works well, but has voice delay and echo
  • Second, with Moodle 2.1, BN plugin, and BBB 0.8 beta3 (from BN) : everything works well, no delay and no echo. Video conference grouping is really usefull. Ability for everyone to turn on/off sound. Plus record and playback. Really good smile
  • Last, with Moodle 1.9, BN plugin, and BBB 0.8 beta3 (from BN) : it works well (like second test), but doesn't allow to record and playback.

I think i haven't tested everything (like separated groups, and waiting moderator), but it seems to work well, and be usefull.

Will have to find better translations, as some string are too long to fit on buttons, and be correctly visible...

One thing is really annoying : the presented document can not be enlarged. When you zoom it (as it can be read, when having small size), you can't enlarge the screen, to see the whole width. It keeps a greyed colonn at the right.

Perhaps i'll copy this on BBB discussion lists.

Hope this helps,
Séverin

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Séverin,

We're always looking for any issues that people encounter using BigBlueButton ... thanks for sharing your experiences.

> One thing is really annoying : the presented document can
> not be enlarged. When you zoom it (as it can be read, when
> having small size), you can't enlarge the screen, to see the
> whole width. It keeps a greyed colonn at the right.

BigBlueButton has been designed for display of landscape documents (presentations).  The currnet display model is fit-to-page.  Since most monitors are landscape, this works well.

However, if you display a portrait document, the fit-to-page leaves the text too small.  What you really want is fit-to-width.  This is one of the open enhancement requests for BigBlueButton.  See Implement "fit to width" to display portrait documents in the presentation window in our issue tracker.

To calabrate expectations, this feature won't be implemented in the near-term (next month or two) as we're pretty focused on finishing BigBlueButton 0.8.  

However, BigBlueButton is open source, so there are options for getting this feature in place.  For more information see our FAQ: When will feature X be implemented?

Regards,... Fred
BigBlueButton Developer  

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Séverin,

We have added fit-to-width in the latest build of BigBlueButton 0.8-beta-4 for presentation layout.  See screen shot at

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/08Overview#Fit-to-width

This will enable you to now optimially display portrait and landscape documents within BigBlueButton.

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer

Hi Fred,

Yes, i had seen this information some weeks ago, but i need to take some time to test it better.

As always, thanks (to you and other BBB developpers) for all your great work smile

Séverin

Picture of Hakan ERSU
Ynt: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.0 available for download

Hey great module but i have a little problem;

Moodle 1.9.6

Moodle Mod works fine with blindsidenetworks demo url.

http://myserver/bigbluebutton/api works fine and demos works fine too.

But still getting error  "Unable to join the meeting. Please check the url of the bigbluebuttonbn server AND check to see if the bigbluebuttonbn server is running."

Yeah i know hard to tell with this info.Is there any log function both moodle mod and bbb ? 

Picture of Hakan ERSU
Ynt: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.0 available for download

Adding some info

wget http://mybbserver/bigbluebutton/api -O - --quiet; echo

response "<response><returncode>SUCCESS</returncode><version>0.8</version></response>" so i guess my moodle server can connect bb server.When trying to create $response;

Array
(
    [0] => Video Ders
    [1] => d54beb488008fe40fddbd3873f311edfd732b6ae
    [2] => 
    [3] => 9e058e1a5fd09bf02ad6f7e9a9e1a7ebef7393ec
    [4] => 326109c63f2349da64fa3d63a6eb11793f3123d1
    [5] =>mysalt
    [6] => http://mybbserver/bigbluebutton/
    [7] => http://mymoodleserver
)

BigBlueButtonBN::createMeetingURL response;
<response>
<returncode>SUCCESS</returncode>
<meetingID>d54beb488008fe40fddbd3873f311edfd732b6ae</meetingID>
<attendeePW>326109c63f2349da64fa3d63a6eb11793f3123d1</attendeePW>
<moderatorPW>9e058e1a5fd09bf02ad6f7e9a9e1a7ebef7393ec</moderatorPW>
<createTime>1334325903645</createTime>
<hasBeenForciblyEnded>false</hasBeenForciblyEnded>
<messageKey/>
<message/>
</response>

Picture of Fred Dixon
Re: Ynt: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.0 available for download

Hi David,

Can you double-check you have the formatting right for the URL and salt (shared secret).  See

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/08InstallationUbuntu#URL_and_salt_for_3rd_party_integrations

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer 

Picture of Hakan ERSU
Ynt: Re: Ynt: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.0 available for download

Hey fred thank you for your reply yes i checked salt and url. ill double check     configurations again.

Picture of Hakan ERSU
Ynt: Re: Ynt: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.0 available for download

Finally i find problem ; im using virtual servers (same network) so at _wrap_simplexml_load_file function curl extension loads properly but cant open $url.I cant find solution yet but i hope ill find soon.

Picture of roc mehra
Re: Ynt: BigBlueButton Activity Module for Moodle 1.9 and Moodle 2.0 available for download

Hi fred,

from looking time i am looking to talking you. I had server running BBB 08 beta.

Now i was tryng to setup BBB 08 on another server using same setting.I am getting this error

SIOCSIFADDR:No Such DEvice

eth1:Error while getting interface flags:No Such Device

SIOCSIFNETMASK:No such Device

eth1:Error while getting interface flags:No Such Device

Failed to bring up eth1

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Roc,

Can you see this entry in the troubleshooting section of the download page for BigBlueButtonVM. 

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/BigBlueButtonVM#Check_if_you_have_a_internet_connection

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of roc mehra

Hi Fred,

Thanks for your reply. i give the ip this way

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet static

After giving the ip when i open the given ip. It shows the page. Welcome to nginx instead of showing bigbluebutton. And i am also not able to ping.

When i ping it shows unknown host.

Picture of roc mehra

Hi Fred,

I have installed BBB successfully with sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get upgrade

sudo apt-get install bigbluebutton

Right now i am trying to use new feature record and playback. But no idea how to get start.

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Roc,

Assuming your familiar with Moodle, install two modules in your Moodle server: BigBlueButtonBN (to launch to BigBlueButton) and RecordingsBN (to access reocdings in a class).  

The following page at the Moodle plugin repository will get you going.  It references a video that will walk you through recording a lecture and accessing the recording from within Moodle.

https://moodle.org/plugins/view.php?plugin=mod_bigbluebuttonbn

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of roc mehra

Hi Fred,

Yes i have intalled and working with recordingsBN. I want to know what should be the best configuration of my bigbluebutton server so that i can get more speed over virtual class. When i start desktop sharing all goes slow down.

My current server configuration is Pentium Dual Core 320ghz with 4 gb ram.

Picture of roc mehra

Why date and duration not showing while recording session.

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Roc,

The speed of desktop sharing depends on your upstream bandwidth for the presenter.  See:  

http://code.google.com/p/bigbluebutton/wiki/FAQ#How_can_I_make_desktop_sharing_faster?

We had made improvements to desktop sharing in the upcoming BigBlueButton 0.81, which we are working towards getting to beta.

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer

Picture of Radi Penchev

Exception - String could not be parsed as XML in moodle 2.6 how to fix?  

Picture of Fred Dixon

Hi Radi,

This error usually occurs when your Moodle server is unable to connect to your BigBlueButton server via HTTP.  

More specifically, the BigBlueButtonBN Moodle plug-in is unable (or prevented) from making API calls to the BigBlueButton server via HTTP.  This occurs when your BigBlueButton server is behind a firewall and inaccessible to your Moodle server.

Also, some Moodle hosting vendors lock-down their Moodle to prevent plugins from making an HTTP connection to external servers.  

In both cases, the result of the HTTP request is empty, which causes the BigBlueButtonBN to through a parsing exception error.

Can you check that (1) your Moodle run-time environment allows plugins to make HTTP connections and (2) your Moodle server can make direct HTTP connections to your BigBlueButton server.

Regards,... Fred
--
BigBlueButton Developer

Some Moodle hosting vendors restrict