Calling an ASP.net web service

Calling an ASP.net web service

by Paul Walsh -
Number of replies: 4

I would like to call an ASP.NET web service from Moodle. Can anybody offer any advice. Thanks, P.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Walsh

Re: Calling an ASP.net web service

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
By definition, it shouldn't matter that it's asp.net. However, there are lots of different web service protocols so you need to understand the spec for the one you want to call.

Next you need to write the Moodle client side and put it somewhere sensible. All that depends on what the web service does of course.

Really - lots more information is needed to give you any sort of sensible advice.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Paul Walsh -

Fair enough. I just want to call a simple ASP.NET 3.5 SOAP Version 1.1 based web service. Web service is for authenticating login id and password pair input parameters and it returns a boolean. I was hoping that there might be some samples?

In reply to Paul Walsh

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Well, you should find some examples of using SOAP in PHP. There are SOAP libraries in Moodle already. The next step is to write your own authentication plugin to do this. You can pretty much grab one of the existing ones and modify it.

You don't say which version of Moodle - Moodle 2 has a lot more web service stuff than 1.9 and earlier.