Adding another page

Adding another page

by Susan Ruckdeschel -
Number of replies: 6

I'd like to add another page to my moodle site with additional courses. Will the restore function allow me to do this?  I have pages available on my hosting site.

Thanks,

Susan

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Susan Ruckdeschel

Re: Adding another page

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Susan. What exactly do you mean -add another page with additional courses? Do you mean you want to add more courses or that your list of courses on the front page has got very long...or what?smile

In reply to Mary Cooch

by Susan Ruckdeschel -

Both - my list is getting long, but in addition I'd like (ideally) to have one page for teacher professional development courses, and one page for student courses (which I presently have).

Does that make sense, and is this possible?

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Yes, Susan, it does make sense, asnd one of the areas of development that has caused a number of issues for a lot of people over many versions of Moodle has been how to design the front page. Here are a couple of ideas that may help, on the Front Page FAQ.

One tip, not included there, is to provide a different role for your Staff members, based on the same role as Authenticated User, the Role that everyone uses when they have logged in, but give them permissions to see hidden folders.  It is a bit more complex to set up, in some ways, but you do not have to change your design at all, otherwise you can be struggling to meet everyone's needs.

P.S. Having said that, perhaps that too should be included in the FAQ..mmmmm thinking...

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Susan Ruckdeschel -

Thanks!  I'll look through the material.  I like the idea of hiding views, that might make more sense versus starting another page.  But my page title should be different for each...much to think about.  Thanks. wink

by ben reynolds -

Seems to me categories would be useful here. One for Prof Dev, one for students.

Categories won't changethe Site Admin's woes, unfortunately. Site Admin is doomed to see too much smile

In reply to ben reynolds

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

Yes, Categories that are hidden from anyone who does not need to see them. Teachers wake up pretty quickly when they have a "privilege" that others do not, that is what they do. mixed With hidden categores and permissions set accordingly, you won't need different pages or titles.. but suit yourself.

What we did at one school was to break everything into Disciplines, subjects areas, that lead to a page that holds all courses for that one subject area. At another, it was Middle and Senior Schools, then year levels, then subjects, but to me that was too clumsy. At yet another it was Junior, Middle and Senior Schools, then subject areas. Each has their virtues and their flaws, and they all depend on the environment. Here we have K-12 schools, we also have Senior Colleges, (Yrs 10-12) There is now developing a K-12 with three completely separate campuses and a 6-12 with three different campuses ("experimental" they call it, but leave off the first 6 letters is more accurate - another future disaster where the Right can beat up Public Education even though this is their bright idea.)

Bottom line is, you can design whatever you like, Students tend to take it all in stride and if they do not like it, they will let you know. The front page is, for me, like a developing poem that can change with every verse. Good luck.