Using Moodle Quiz for "Proctored" final exams

Using Moodle Quiz for "Proctored" final exams

by Keith Green -
Number of replies: 4

I am working with a client who uses Moodle for delivery of distance education.  We are considering using Moodle Quiz for "proctored" or "invigilated" final exams that would take place at a specific time using workstations connected to the internet.  The goal is to deliver the exams over a broad geographic area (Canada).

I am interested to hear if anyone has used Moodle Quiz in this manner, and if so what are the benefits and challenges.

Thanks from

Keith Green

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Keith Green

Re: Using Moodle Quiz for "Proctored" final exams

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Yes, I know people have done this, but I am afraid I cannot remember any specific examples.

The main thing to be wary of is that if the invigilator stands at the front of the room and says "Everybody start now", and then everyone clicks the start button at the same time, then you will crash your server. You need to get the users to start spread over a few minutes.

Also, Moodle 2.0 has the option to display the users' profile picture on-screen during the test. This can help the invigilator check that people are logged in as themselves, and not doing the quiz for a friend.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Azhar Ghani -

Hi Tim..... how can Moodle 2.0 option to display users' profile picture on screen during the test can be applied in Moodle 1.9..

In reply to Azhar Ghani

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

It can't easily.

If you want a ralatively simple way to implement this in Moodle 1.9, consider displaying the user's picture in the header.html file of your custom theme - if the URL contains mod/quiz/attempt.php.

If you want new features, plan to upgrade your version of Moodle.