Visible Groups and Single Simple Discussion

Visible Groups and Single Simple Discussion

by Colin Matheson -
Number of replies: 7

A teacher wants to have all students participate with each other in a single simple discussion, but then for ease of grading, be able to see just a period at a time. There is a drop down menu that seems to allow for filtering the view by group (Show all, show only participants of group 1, etc.)

However, the view doesn't change when the options are selected. Any ideas on if this is possible?

The page always has all students on it, most students just replied to the original teacher post, but there are a few students replying to  each other.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Colin Matheson

Re: Visible Groups and Single Simple Discussion

by Itamar Tzadok -

I don't see how this could work in the first place. To take an extreme case, suppose every other reply is done by a student from a different group:

• Discussion topic
    • Reply 1 - Student a (Group A)
      • Reply 2 - Student b (Group B)
        • Reply 3 - Student a (Group A)
          • Reply 4 - Student b (Group B)
            • etc.

If you view Group A, you should either see only Reply 1 or also the other replies of Student a which in the absence of their parent posts will have to be flatly dumped under the Discussion topic in which case they will not make much sense.

If you view Group B, then in the absence of their parent posts you should see none of Student b replies or all these replies flatly dumped under the Discussin topic in which case they will not make much sense.

smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Colin Matheson -

True. But in reality the posts are structured like an assignment: the teacher posts a question and each student is replying to the teacher.

The forum is used because the teacher wants the students to see each other's opinions and have the opportunity to discuss with each other. However, for grading purposes the teacher mainly wants to see the posts of a particular period so that he can more easily enter the grades into his gradebook. (we use a non moodle gradebook). Baisically to have the convienince of an online text assignment (view a period at a time) but the chance for students to discuss.

by Itamar Tzadok -

I don't follow the 'period' terminology but here is a suggestion. If the teacher uses a database acitivity the entries may serve for the students responses to the teacher and comments for studetns' discussions. smile

In reply to Itamar Tzadok

by Colin Matheson -

Thanks for your help. I will recommend the teacher uses separate groups. Just so you know "period" is the term used in the US for pre university school (grades 6-12). The day is divided into 6 to 8 periods each about an hour long. Kind of like how a university teacher can have several sections of the same class, a high school teacher might have several different periods of the same class in a day.

by T Lally -

Where is the drop down menu you referenced? As a teacher, I do not see this in my forums. Please advise - thanks!

In reply to T Lally

by Itamar Tzadok -

The forum should be set to visible or separate groups mode in the forum's settings. Then the dropdown listing the groups should appear in the upper left corner. See image. smile

Attachment forum-separate-groups.png