Links to glossary are confusing

Links to glossary are confusing

Allan Carrington - මගින්
Number of replies: 3

Sorry if this obvious but I missed it.

In moodle 1+ as I last remembered this, words in the glossary had a light grey box around them.  Now in Moodle 2 they look just like all other URLs in colour etc.  I know the cursor is a question mark instead of pointing finger but IMHO the effect on a learner reading a paragraph with numerous glossary words in it (it happens) and one link you want them definitely use, they have a tendancy to ignore the "real" URL .  Haven't done robust research but I'll bet on it  සිනහව.

This doesn't look like a theme issue and is there any way to change them back to the grey boxes ... easily in terms for coding dummies please

Regards
Allan

ශ්‍රේණිගත කිරීම්වල සාමාන්යය: -
In reply to Allan Carrington

Re: Links to glossary are confusing

Joseph Rézeau - මගින්
Core developers ගේ පින්තුරය Particularly helpful Moodlers ගේ පින්තුරය Plugin developers ගේ පින්තුරය Testers ගේ පින්තුරය Translators ගේ පින්තුරය

Hi Allan,

The style of the glossary autolinks is dependent on the theme being used, exactly the same in Moodle 2.0 as it was in 1.9. In the standard theme, the whole glossary autolink background is gray, it's not just a "box".

However, it seems that most (if not all) of the 2.0 themes (other than standard) have chosen to not display the glossary autolinks on a grey background, probably because their designers felt that it is too obtrusive (and I agree with them).

If you absolutely want to display your glossary autolinks on a colored background, you'll have to modify one of your theme's CSS files.

Which theme are you using in your moodle 2.0 courses? If you let me know I'll tell you what to change - if you tell me what color you want.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Allan Carrington - මගින්

Thanks Joseph

I still think there is a case for a clearer distinction between a glossary link and a web address link. Don't you agree?... what do others think?.  Please think like a teacher and not a designer i.e. think from the learner usability perspective.  Maybe if they were just different colour type would that work?

I just want students to follow my content links as often as possible while they build knowledge.

Regards
Allan

In reply to Allan Carrington

Joseph Rézeau - මගින්
Core developers ගේ පින්තුරය Particularly helpful Moodlers ගේ පින්තුරය Plugin developers ගේ පින්තුරය Testers ගේ පින්තුරය Translators ගේ පින්තුරය

Allan,

1- Design & pedagogy

The use / non-use of glossary links by students can be the subject of interesting research in the field of education. Especially the influence of the design of such links (more or less visible, even not visible at all) upon their actual use by the students. I feel that a kind of ideal compromise should be reached, whereby those links are visible enough to "tempt" the students to make use of them but not so obstrusive as to "jump" into their eyes.

2.- If you would tell me which theme you are actually using and what kind of formatting you would like for your autolinks, I can provide the necessary information.

Joseph