Bulk Unenrol

Bulk Unenrol

by Nitin Parmar -
Number of replies: 25

This task seems easy to accomplish in Moodle 1.9+...

• Click on the Assign Roles link in the Administration menu. This is usually found on the left hand side.
  • Click on Student in the list of roles.
  • Select students you wish to unenrol from the left hand column. You can select all students by clicking on the first in the list then holding down Shift and clicking on the last, or you can select individuals by holding down Ctrl and clicking.
  • When you have selected all the required students click on the centrally located Remove button to unenrol them.

(from University of Bath Moodle FAQs)

... but not so in Moodle 2.0, where unenrolling a large number of users from a Moodle course will need the Administrator/Teacher to click on the 'x' in the Enrolment Conditions box next to users' names several times.

Or am I missing something?! smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Nitin Parmar

Re: Bulk Unenrol

by Paul Webster -

I have the same problem in moodle 2.0.  I have quite a few kids I need to unenroll from a large course.  I would like to be able to select a number of them and then unenroll them, as I could in 1.9.

Creating groups in this large course is also problematic, as we have about 200 students in the course, so it won't show all of them in order to use Ctrl to select various ones and move them into the group.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paul Webster

by Nitin Parmar -

I agree that the Moodle 1.9+ method of selecting multiple students from the 'Assign Roles' list (holding down the Ctrl or Shift keys, as required) would still be immensely useful.

Should this be put in as a feature request? Or has a decision to take a new direction for 2.0+ meant that such functionality is no longer required?

In reply to Paul Webster

by Vinny Stocker -
Picture of Plugin developers

Ditto. In the Teacher role, I can't see a way to bulk unenrol students from my courses in 2.0. Am I missing something?

In reply to Nitin Parmar

by Steve Bond -

Hi Nitin,

This highlights something I don't understand about enrolments in Moodle 2.0. When I look at the list of enrolled users, there are columns for 'Roles' and 'Enrolment methods'. In the Roles column, a user might have a role "Student" with an X next to it. Clicking on this X makes the word "Student" disappear, but doesn't seem to unenrol the user from the course. When I login as that user, they can still access the course and do student-like things. So what role do they have now? Or is enrolment now a different concept from role-bearing?

The only way I can get the user out of the course,as far as I can see, is to delete the enrolment method (from the Enrolment Methods column on the same page).

PS The enrolment method in this case was self-enrolment. I note also that if I delete the enrolment method from the course, then any users who enrolled using it are also removed. Which doesn't immediately make sense to me.

Steve

In reply to Steve Bond

by Nitin Parmar -

I wonder if this is a bug in Moodle 2.0 mixed

Surely if you remove the (or all) role asignments from a particular user on a given course, that should in turn mean that they no longer have permissions to access resources and activities at/on any level?

That said, if a user is left in this state of flux, does this mean that they automatically assume a guest (rather than student) role in the course, until such time the Enrolment Method column is dealt with?! [Might you be able to test this, Steve?]

Assuming guests are allowed to access the Moodle course, of course...

In reply to Nitin Parmar

by Steve Bond -

Hi Nitin,

I have just tested this and it looks like you are right, a user with an enrolment method but no role seems to have the same rights as a guest. As this 'limbo' user, I can see course content but I cannot view forum messages or post to a forum.

Some observations:

1. This course does not allow guest access according to the Settings

2. There is no way to assign a 'guest' role to a user using this interface. So perhaps the lack of a role shown here is now = guest role.

It is all rather confiusing but I'm not sure if it's a bug or a matter of design.

Steve

In reply to Steve Bond

by Lisa McIver -

I'm a bit confused about the roles/enrolment methods too - maybe I'm missing the point, but I don't see why you would have someone in your course without a role. 

We haven't gone with Moodle 2.2 yet, but when we do I think this is going to be an issue - ending up with lots of support queries about why person x, y or z can see the content but not the forums. mixed

In reply to Nitin Parmar

by Ryan Alexander -

Settings > Course Administraton > Users > Enrollment methods >
Then select the edit users icon under the Edit column for the type of enrolment you want to modify.

Yeah, kinda buried. If there's an easier way to navigate to this, I haven't found it yet.

Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Ryan Alexander

by Andrew Johnson -

Thank you!  I never would of found out how to bulk unenrol if I hadn't stumbled across your post.  Buried, indeed.

In reply to Ryan Alexander

by Becky Keene -

Thank you for this helpful post. It doesn't, however, work for self-enrollments. I only have the edit users icon for manual enrollments. Any idea how to multi-select users from a self-enrollment?

In reply to Becky Keene

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Becky,

Whilst it's not possible to multi-select users who self-enrolled, there are other options for ensuring they are unenrolled in bulk: In Settings > Course administration > Users > Enrolment methods > Self enrolment you can set an enrolment duration or a value for 'Unenrol inactive after'. Alternatively you can enable students to unenrol themselves.

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Nitin Parmar

by Longfei Yu -

I am using the IMS to enrol or unenrol students, it works really awesome. We get the student enrolment/unenrolment information from teh SIS system every early morning by the way.

In reply to Nitin Parmar

by Lisa McIver -

Nitin, I have discovered that this is possible (though IMHO user management in 2.2 lacks the simplicity of 1.9 and is going to lead to confused staff members!)

Do the following as a Teacher:

1. Go to participants
  2. Filter by role
  3. Click the Edit icon

If you do it like this, you get a Moodle 1.9-esque ability to remove users by role (i.e student, teacher etc.). 

If you don't have the Edit icon, check your permissions - on our test install (2.2.3) you only get it when you are logged in as either a System Admin or Teacher (doesn't appear if you have the standard Admin role).

My biggest grumble is that the interface doesn't feel very consistent.  You can filter by role if you access user management this way, but not on the users > enrolment methods screen.  Also, if you click the edit icon (without filtering first), you get a completely different interface.

Personally I think this is messy - too many routes into what is essentially the same functionality (with this functionality being subtly different depending on the route you take to it )

...but maybe it's just me  tongueout !

In reply to Lisa McIver

by Lisa McIver -

Sorry Nitin - forget that.  My suggestion as to how you can filter by role before removing users doesn't work as I had hoped. 

I've just tested it again and become very confused due to the fact that it removed the student role but not the enrolment type (so I ended up with users on my course with no role).

Hmm... black eye

In reply to Lisa McIver

by Nigel Pegram -

Using 2.4,

Go to users->enrolled users

Select an enrolment method from the drop-down list.

You'll then see the list of users with a check box to their left which allows you to select multiple students.

At the bottom of the list are the controls, which allow you to unenrol in bulk.

HTH

Nigel

Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Nigel Pegram

by Marc Couture -

Thank you for your post.  However, I feel that the interface should allow selecting the entire list on a given page so I don't need to click on each user individually (perhaps a simple "select all" checkbox at the top or bottom of each page?).  For example, we are currently testing 2.4 and copying over courses from a 2.2 server with hundreds of users.  If I want to delete all of these users but keep the course intact, I must click on each user to bulk unenrol.  A huge waste of time, unfortunately.

In reply to Nigel Pegram

by Jon Hosier -

I should like to ask a question related to this reply.

Is there any way to bulk unenrol all of the students on Moodle, on all of the various courses for maintenance reasons, at the end of a school year, for example.

As a school we use Moodle extensively. As a result we have hundreds of courses on Moodle which each of our 750+ students are enrolled on. We have just upgraded from Moodle 1.9 to 2.4. Previously we were using the Facility to Moodle plugin and so have manually enrolled all of the students onto all of the courses. However, since the upgrade all of the Facility to Moodle groups have been lost and now we are left with all the students from the previous years enrolled in the wrong courses. We can easily enrol them onto the correct courses using the Moodle to Facility plugin again. But how can we unenrol them from the wrong courses.

There must be a better way of doing this than by navigating to each of our well over 100 courses, then following Nigel's comment to select each individual user on that course.

Can someone please explain a simple way of doing this or if there is some sort of bulk user plugin that we could use as an administrator that would allow us to do this.

Please respond.

Thank you.

Jon

In reply to Nigel Pegram

by Monica Franz -

How does this work for Moodle 2.5 ?

The list of the selfenroled students is shown but there is no way to select all of them at once to delete them.

Every shown line has just the X at the end, which means one has to delete every single user and not bulk wise.

With more than 150 selfenroled students in a course this is big work.

Is there an other way or what settings does the site admin have to use?

Cheers,

Monica

In reply to Monica Franz

by Mark Pearson -

Monica,

Read the whole of this thread and you'll find the solution to your problem. Someone up above posted how to remove the whole enrollment method and thereby unenroll all users at once.

On another tack about enrollments, I too used to complain about the Moodle 2 system, but having got to grips with it recently I can say that it's a lot better than the old one. Basically, Moodle separates two disctinct processes which were muddled together in 1.9, that is, authentication -- how users login to the system -- and course enrollments -- how they get enrolled into a course. It also makes explicit the method by which a user is enrolled -- the enrollment 'method'. Once you've got the hang of this it's a lot easier to figure out what to do for a given circumstance. The system is actually more forgiving than it used to be -- for example, we have automated (kind of) enrollments with the Banner Luminis Message broker (LMB) but I can also manually enroll a student and if LMB subsequently adds that user again it merely duplicates the enrollment to no ill effect.

I think that some of the problems that people have is that the Participants interface shows some of the same information as Enrolled Users but not all. So to do a 'Login As' for example, you have to go to Participants, but to see who is manually enrolled you must use Enrolled users.

In reply to Mark Pearson

by Monica Franz -

Hi Mark,

the problem is, I want to unenrol a 89 students of my course which self enroled themselves. In this course I also have manually enroled students and to unenrol them I have to use the icon 'Enrol users' to get the list like we know from Moodle 1.9. But this icon doesn't exist for the self enrolment method.

The self enroled student aren't listed in the manula enrolments. The sum of all students of that course is 634, these include the 544 manually enroled students and the rest are self enroled:

Cheers,

Monica

In reply to Monica Franz

by Monica Franz -

Hi,

finaly I found my answer in the German forum:

Delete the enrolment method 'self enrolment' and  create the self enrolment method new again, then all self enroled students are deleted in that course!

Cheer,

Monica

In reply to Monica Franz

by Martin Greenaway -

I stumbled across this post as I'm looking to bulk-unenrol all users from some old courses which have been replaced.  Thank you for sharing it - but it really seems bizarre that this is the only way to bulk unenrol users. It also means that you're either unenrolling everyone who has used a particular enrolment method, or doing it one by one.  There must be a much better way to do this, surely?

In reply to Nitin Parmar

by Gail Austin -

Help: THIS IS A NEW QUESTION. We are newbies, we have a 4000 student course in moodle 1.9 and we just realized that we need to unenroll the 3000 of these students that enrolled more than a year ago - from just this course. Other than scrolling thru the enrolled users list and clicking on 3,000 names is their another way of doing this. Going forward we have just changed the term of enrollment to 365 days, so going forward we will not have this problem. Is there a way to have the 365 day criteria apply to the existing students?

In reply to Nitin Parmar

by Mochamad Nur Qomarudin -

I have tried this...

1. go to 'enrolment method'

go to 'enrollment method'

2. in the enrolment methods page, click 'Enrol' icon as shown below

click icon enrol

3. the manual enrolment page will appear, so you can un-enroll a large number of students at once.