Looking for Moodle 2.0 Theme with Tagline below Heading

Looking for Moodle 2.0 Theme with Tagline below Heading

by Graham Clark -
Number of replies: 14

I'm looking for a free Moodle 2.0 theme which will allow me to have a tagline immediately below the heading in the top left corner of the banner. Please see the attached file for an example of what I'm looking for. This example is called "Anomaly" and the tagline 'Standards Based Moodle Designs' sits immediately under the heading "NewSchool Learning". Unfortunately, this theme is not currently compatible with Moodle 2.0. Thanks for your help.

Attachment 12-01-2011 8-57-10 PM.jpg
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Graham Clark

Re: Looking for Moodle 2.0 Theme with Tagline below Heading

by Richard Oelmann -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Graham,

There is a Moodle2 version of Anomaly bundled as one of the core themes with the download of Moodle2. Have you tried that?

Richard

In reply to Graham Clark

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi Graham,

Richard is right Anomaly is part of Core Themes available in Moodle 2.0.

Go to Site Administration > Appearance > Themes > Theme Selector

Mary

In reply to Graham Clark

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Graham,

Have taken a look at Anomaly (for 1.9 and for 2.0) and the Moodle 2 version doesn't appear to include the 'tagline' by default.

One way to do it would be to add the following to the line which displays the page header in general.php

<h1 class="headermain"><?php echo $PAGE->heading ?><br><?php echo $COURSE->summary ?></h1>

This uses whatever you put in the course summary as the tagline though and so would need to be kept short.

The alternative I normally use - as I prefer to keep the site name and logo visible rather than the course titles (and use the Topic0 section to provide the course title etc.) is to include both the name and any tag line as part of the site logo.

Hope that helps

Richard

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Graham Clark

by Graham Clark -

Yes, a Moodle 2.0 version of 'Anomaly' did come with the installation. However, no matter what I did, I couldn't get it to work the way it was supposed to. In particular, it wouldn't show the tagline. So I went into my cPanel and deleted it. I then downloaded 'Anomaly' from the Moodle.org database of Moodle Themes and reinstalled it. I’ve now reinstalled 'Anomaly' about five times but I still can’t get Moodle 2.0 to show it in my Theme Selector. Any suggestions?

In reply to Graham Clark

by Richard Oelmann -

Graham,

The Anomaly theme in the database is the Moodle1.9 version and is not compatible with Moodle2.

The best way to get it back having deleted the original would be to reupload the theme from wherever you have the download of moodle that you originally installed from (or a fresh download). The core themes are included in that download.

Richard

In reply to Graham Clark

by Sam Hemelryk -
Hi guys,

Just popping in to say I have created MDL-25961 to see the summary added back into the anomaly theme.

Keep an eye on that issue for progress.

Cheers
Sam
In reply to Sam Hemelryk

by Graham Clark -

Richard, in terms of MDL-25961, as well as having the tagline put back in, do you think something could be done about the tagline's placement?

In fact, I have 2 Moodles which use the "Anomaly" theme.

In my 1.9.9+ Moodle the distance between the heading and the tagline is similar to that in my original screen shot at the top of this discussion topic whilst in my 2.0 Moodle the line spacing is similar to that in the screen shot below.

Thank you.

Attachment 14-01-2011 9-09-27 PM.jpg
In reply to Graham Clark

by Graham Clark -

Thanks everyone, Richard especially.

I recovered the "Anomaly" theme from the original installation file and copied it into my Moodle 2.0.

I then edited the general.php file as suggested by Richard.

Suffice to say my Moodle 2.0 now has the "Anomaly" theme with a tagline under the main heading.

This is what I love about the Moodle community.

There are always so many people here who are more than willing to help out.

In reply to Graham Clark

by Graham Clark -

In fact, I think I may have spoken too soon.

There are still a couple of minor issues.

The first issue is that whilst I’m now using the “Anomaly” theme in my Moodle 2.0, and I have a tagline immediately below my heading, I also have a small block in the top right which contains the tagline.

This block is no where to be found in the “Anomaly” demonstration site.

In other words, my Moodle 2.0 probably shouldn’t be showing this block.

Is there some way of removing this block containing my tagline?

My second issue is that the heading and the tagline look a bit squashed in the sense that the tagline is right up against the heading.

Is there some way of making the tagline sit a little lower?

Attachment 14-01-2011 10-10-16 AM.jpg
In reply to Graham Clark

Re: X-Marks the spot!

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Under Settings > Front page settings > Turn editing on

This enables you to change the look of your Front page. The site description in the top right of your page will now have a few icons displayed. Hit the X and poof it will vanish! If ever you want to Add it back you do that by selecting it in Add Block which is bottom right of the page.

The tag line in the header you need to style with some CSS.

Use FireBug for this after you have read how to us it in. Themes FAQ & CSS FAQ are goo reading and an excelent way to learn how to style Moodle yourself.

Hope this helps?

Mary

In reply to Graham Clark

by Graham Clark -

Thanks for your help Mary.

Your suggestion worked perfectly.

I now no longer have a tagline in it's own block in the top right corner.

However, when it comes to CSS, although I’ve done quite a bit of reading about it over the last few months, I'm really not confident.

So, suffice to say, I think I might just have to leave the tagline under the heading as it is for the time being.

In reply to Graham Clark

by Richard Oelmann -

Graham,

To lower the tagline/summary, in general.css, add the line

#page-header h1 p {padding-top:10px;}

you can change the 10px to whatever you need to suit.

But as for confidence with css: everyone has to start somewhere (and in my case that was from absolutely zero!) and there are two things I would suggest (other than the reading!). The first is having a local version of your moodle site so that you can play with it without fear of making mistakes because they wont alter your production site and the other is a site Mary recommended to me a while back called css zen garden. Well worth a look to see just what is possible with css styling.

Give it a try, gain confidence and have fun with it

Richard

In reply to Richard Oelmann

by Graham Clark -

Richard, your tagline suggestion worked perfectly.

Now I have just the right amount of spacing between the heading and the tagline.

I'll take a look at the css zen garden very soon.

Thank you.