External Moodle Hosts

External Moodle Hosts

by Edna Perkins -
Number of replies: 5

Since I am a coward when it comes to computer issues, I am considering companies that provide external hosting for Moodle systems -- the one that looks best so far is "Classroom Revolution" available in the US for around $800 per year.  They also charge for training, which I think we could skip. I'd appreciate any info on this or similar services. (We are a small non-profit start up, offering CEU's for yoga instructors.)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Edna Perkins

Re: External Moodle Hosts

by Peter Seaman -

HI Edna:  Sounds like you need one of the Moodle partners!

http://moodle.com/hosting/

I personally have been very happy with Remote-Learner, who have hosted three different Moodle sites for me.  R-L offers hosting at different levels - very inexpensively for a small organizations:

http://www.remote-learner.net/moodle

Oh dear - prices seem to have gone up!  Anyway, good luck and by all means use a Moodle partner.  -  Peter

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Edna Perkins

by Britt Bassett -

I agree with the idea of using a specialized moodle hosting service so a small firm can just concentrate on the course and not the setup, as well as having someone to ask questions and help with the site.

We chose to take the jump directly into Moodle 2.0 as we are starting up, and chose Classroom Revolution as they would promptly set us up a new 2.0 service.

So far, so good. The hosting server seems pretty fast, and the support from Classroom Rev. has been prompt.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Britt Bassett

by Edna Perkins -

Thanks, Peter and Britt.
Classroom Revolution has an  affordable package called "Shared Hosting."  I'm not clear on exactly what this means, and they haven't answered my query, so I'd appreciate any additional insight anyone can offer -- is there any reason not to try that for a small start up?
MGPerkins

In reply to Edna Perkins

by Britt Bassett -

I don't know all the details, but in my case, as I wanted to go for the latest mdle2.0, it could not be installed on the Shared Hosting as it would disrupt others, while for a Hosted Site, I get the moodle install they put up and maintain all to myself.

I also wanted and got full FTP access to my site which is great for setting up the mdl2 file repository and modifying (extensively) a selected, renamed theme. If you need such, you might ask about that for Shared vs Hosting.