General help

Moving items on main course page

Picture of Matt Fedorko
Moving items on main course page

Here's something weird that's not necessarily a problem in Moodle 2.0.
On the main course page, when you "Turn Editing On," you can move things around, right? In Moodle 1.9 and what I'm seeing of 2.0, there's an icon that looks like two half arrows, one pointing up one pointing down.
And when you click it, it gives you boxes all over the screen that are options for where you can move the thing you're moving.
But I just looked at one of our intern's machines, also using Win 7 and IE 8, and the icon looks like a compass rose, and when you click it, you can then drag the item wherever you want. Which is a heck of a lot quicker than waiting for a screen refresh, then another one when you click the dotted line box.
We're looking at the same course, same theme, same Moodle, with different machines, but using the same browser. Why would it be different between our two machines? How do I get this new improved functionality?

Average of ratings: -
Mary Cooch
Re: Moving items on main course page
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators

It's because in Moodle 2.0 you are looking at the Move icon with Ajax enabled and in 1.9 you are looking at the conventional move icon. You can enable Ajax in 1.9 and have those handlebar/compass rosey things if you like - it is in site admin>appearance>ajax and javascript

EDIT Scrub that last answer - I just reread your post. It will be because the one seeing the compass rose has Ajax enabled in their profile - take a look there

Picture of Matt Fedorko

Sweet!

I was just in the middle of gathering screenshots to prove that what I was seeing wasn't a figment of my imagination. I did as you said and now am ALSO fancy like the interns. I feel pretty good about it.

Thanks, Mary!

Russell Waldron

Bizarrely, I get the rose in some courses and the blocks in others on the same machine, in the same browser, as the same user!

The rose only appears on some of the courses created before my site upgraded from Moodle 2.0 to 2.2.

Does anyone else experience this?

Picture of Toni Roberts

Hello Russeel and others,

I too have the same issue, i.e., I get the old move icons (and behaviour) in some situations and other times (when logged in as certain teachers for example) I get the cross/compass icon.

I can't figure out why.

Any ideas?

Toni

Me and da boys!

When you login as a teacher ajax has to be enabled in their profile but you should be aware- the drop and drag ajax function seems to baffle many teachers who have been using moodle without it.

Picture of Justin Litalien

I have something to add to this but no idea why it's happening. Take a look at my screenshot below. In Topic 2 I have several <ul> and <li> tags. Notice the label at the bottom of Topic 2, see the move icon is the up/down arrow? Weird right?

Now look at Topic 1. I isolated a pair of <li> tags that were set up correctly, but when taken out of the topic header, it allowed the compass move icon to appear (see label in Topic 1). So weird...

The kicker is this. When I take the bad code and put it on its own a separate topic, the move icon is just fine. Weird...

Mary Cooch
Group Documentation writersGroup Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup TestersGroup Translators
I don't know much about code but this doesn't surprise me really because "bad code" for example stuff which has been copied and pasted from MS Word can often corrupt the page - so if all yours did was to change from the Ajax "crosshairs" move icon to the up/down arrow then you are lucky - in other instances, "bad code" can break a page such that no icons work at all.

Picture of Justin Litalien

Hi Mary, the code doesn't have any remnants from Microsoft Office at all. If anyone else wants to try it, please do, and let me know what happens!

<p><span style="font-size: large;">Week 8</span></p>
<p><span style="text-decoration: underline; font-size: medium;">Lectures</span></p>
<ul>
<li>Monday: Python Introduction</li>
<li>Wednesday: Python Basics (<strong>Memorial 213)</strong></li>
</ul>
<p><span style="text-decoration: underline;"><span style="font-size: medium;">Lab</span></span></p>
<ul>
<li><strong>Lab 7 - Introduction to Python</strong></li>
</ul>
<p><span style="text-decoration: underline;"><span style="font-size: medium;">Assignments</span></span></p>
<ul>
<li>Lab 7</li>
</ul>
<p><span style="text-decoration: underline;"><span style="font-size: medium;">Resources</span></span></p>
<ul>
<li><a href="http://www.activestate.com/activepython/downloads">ActivePython Distribution Download Page</a></li>
<li><a href="http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Non-Programmer%27s_Tutorial_for_Python_3/Hello,_World">Python Print and Variables Tutorial</a></li>
<li><a href="http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Non-Programmer%27s_Tutorial_for_Python_3/Who_Goes_There%3F">Python User Input Tutorial</a></li>
</ul>

PS: If you take out the highlighted section, the compass icon appears: <ul>
<li><strong>Lab 7 - Introduction to Python</strong></li>
</ul>

Picture of Tiffany Morgan

I was curious so I tested this on blank/new course 2.3.2 and got the same results you did. Include the chunk of code, you get the crosshairs; remove it and you get the up and down arrows...

I don't have a solution or reason, but I'm interested in learning if someone else does smile