Lacking end of lesson

Lacking end of lesson

by Anna Weber -
Number of replies: 5

In Moodle 2.0 build 20101130 (upgraded from 1.9.9) I created a test lesson.

Unlike in version 1.9 in test lesson's preview mode there is no warning that this is end of the lesson. The jump takes me straight to the course main page.

It makes no difference whether the last page is a question page or a content page. Also I have not noticed any difference after setting last page's jump from a "next page" to the "end of lesson".

I find it odd bahaviour but possibly I am wrong.

One way round is to make last content page with button "end". But what if I want to end with up just with question pages?

Any other suggestions what I am doing wrong? Any comments please.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anna Weber

Re: Lacking end of lesson

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi Anna,

1.- I am not seeing this problem on my moodle 2.0 installation. If the last page of my lesson is e.g. a content page, either with "Next Page" or "End of Lesson" Jump, it shows the "End of lesson message" message (see attached screenshot).

2.- If you create a totally new lesson in your moodle 2.0, do you see the same problem?

3.- "One way round is to make last content page with button "end"." Sorry, I do not understand what you mean. Please explain.

Joseph

PS.- Please note that there are quite a few problems with Lessons when upgrading from 1.9 to 2.0, some of which have already been reported in this forum or the bug tracker.

Attachment 07-01-2011 14-43-42.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Odp: Re: Lacking end of lesson

by Anna Weber -

Hi Joseph,

Thank you for your answer.

1. It confirms that my lesson error is just a local one. Since upgrade to 2.0 this is not the only problem I have encountered thus information in Notifications is where I should start with: "Database tables are using MyISAM database engine, it is recommended to use ACID compliant engine with full transaction support such as InnoDB."

2. This is exactly what I have done and it did not work.

3. The last page is a content page with settings like below. Content 1 despcription "The End" is the only way to communicate that there will be no more pages in this lesson.

By the way I've checked lessons in MDL 1.9.8 and Content 1description was not  a mandatory entry but it is now. Again is this the new default, or just my version?

lesson settings

In reply to Anna Weber

Re: Odp: Re: Lacking end of lesson

by Joseph Rézeau -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Anna "By the way I've checked lessons in MDL 1.9.8 and Content 1description was not  a mandatory entry but it is now. Again is this the new default, or just my version?"

Yes, it's the new default; the Description field must be filled in.

Joseph

In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Lacking end of lesson

by Michael Molenaar -

I've noticed this problem in Moodle 2.0 as well.  I attempted to create a new lesson module containing content, and found that using the End of Lesson redirect on any page, or Next Page redirect on the last page, sends the user back to the topic list rather than to an End of Lesson page.  I was completely unaware such a page even existed until I looked into how to instruct the lesson module to forward the user to a specific activity, which I am still unable to do thanks to this error.  This content was not carried over from the previous version; it was entirely created in 2.0.  However, my install of Moodle 2.0 itself was an upgrade of a previous version.  Will it therefore be necessary to uninstall everything and reinstall 2.0 clean to restore lesson modules to proper functionality?

EDIT: Also, is it possibly different between an actual student user and an admin/teacher user set up to preview as a student user via the "Switch Role" setting?

In reply to Michael Molenaar

Odp: Re: Lacking end of lesson

by Anna Weber -

RE: Lesson - well in my case as we were not loosing much we decided for new install of MDL 2.0.1, and Lesson activity works better nowsmile.