Unable to complete upgrade to Moodle 2.0

Unable to complete upgrade to Moodle 2.0

by Anton van Heerden -
Number of replies: 15

I attempted to upgrade moodle to 2.0 but it stops at the plugin check. One of the modules is listed as missing from disk and when I click upgrade it opens a new page indicating mod_imscp and then nothing happens.

? hotpot Non-standard (Missing from disk)
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Anton van Heerden

Re: Unable to complete upgrade to Moodle 2.0

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

I understand the Hot Potatoes plugin is yet to be updated for Moodle 2.0. Remove any non-core plugins and you may have more success. If you are trying to update a Moodle 1.9.x to Moodle 2.0, then you may have considerably more success with a completely fresh install.

In reply to Colin Fraser

by Marc Grober -

Actually, I think Gordon has just released Hotpot for M2,  but there are some issues not yet clear (both as to HotPot and other non-core mods on upgrade to M2.)

While it is apparent that upgrading to Moodle 2 fails when non-core mods are installed (is there something in the upgrade docs that addresses this yet?) users are advised to "remove" non-core mods,  but users are not told specifically what steps to take to accomplish this....  Do they have to just turn off the mods in the admin GUI? Do they have to delete the mods from the admin GUI?,  do they also have to physically remove the mods from the file system?

While I had posted some time ago about issues with M2 previews crashing on mods, that issue has been now closed without any explanation as to how M2 now avoids the problem, and as many people have complained that this is still apparently the behavior they see in M2,  I'd have to argue that anyone with a Moodle 1.9 has a significant chance of losing everything by upgrading to Moodle 2 without have a detailed picture of why M2 is crashing on upgrade and a clear and concise recitation of the actual steps one must take to possibly avoid any disaster.....

In reply to Anton van Heerden

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think you have an unrelated problem here. The missing hotpot module is not (should not be) a deal breaker.

Can you tell us exactly what the 'mod_imscp' page that follows says please.
In reply to Howard Miller

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi all,

I don't know about "mod_imscp", but I do know that the HotPot module for Moodle 2.0 is now up and running (yay!) It will update all your Moodle 1.9 HotPots ready for use in Moodle 2.0.

regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Marc Grober -

However,  what remains to be clarified for users is what procedures they need to follow if they wish to upgrade from a Moodle 1.9.x (with hotpot module installed), to Moodle 2.  This is no triviality as we have seen so much grief over upgrading to M2 over non-core modules.

In reply to Marc Grober

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
My feeling is that (as has always been the case in previous upgrades) that missing optional modules will (well, should) be ignored and won't cause the upgrade to fail. That is the existing database tables will just become 'dormant' until a new version of the plugin becomes available.

If this is not the case then I think it's a bug as it will cause all sorts of grief and confusion. To be perfectly honest, I haven't tried it yet but I'll be doing some test upgrades on sites with optional plugins in the next day or so and we'll find out.

by Howard Miller -
Tried it - confirmed that you do not need to delete optional modules. You can ignore the warning messages. Obviously don't try to include the 1.9 code for the modules in the 2.0 code - that way lies madness.

I have modified the docs accordingly.

BTW... I still couldn't upgrade my 1.9 site to 2.0, which is a bit of a pain. Moodle 2.0 seems very sensitive to schema problems and my site was new back at version 1.4. More work/hassle sad

by Patricia Warwick -

I tried ignoring the messages but all that happened in my case was that it kept telling me that I had non-standard mods and never progressed beyond that page. That is what led me to posting a message in this forum and subsequently I reverted to 1.9 so I am unable to recreate the prob

In reply to Patricia Warwick

by Howard Miller -
Are you absolutely 100% sure that you didn't add any of the 1.9 code into the 2.0 code (or unzip the 2.0 code over the top of the 1.9). I am reasonably sure that as long as the old code isn't there (which should be the default situation with a clean copy of 2.0) then this won't happen. I certainly had no problems - and that was testing with a 1.9 install with lots of optional plugins.

by Patricia Warwick -

I am not 100% sure (because as I mentioned I just used an FTP program to synchronize the two sites) but why would old 1.9 code interfere with 2.0 code? Surely that is a problem in itself.

by Bill Moede -

We have decided to put 1.9.1 on our new server.  Tried 2.0 but a lot of issues yet and no support yet even some of the basic modules.    No good way at this point to move 1.9 data to 2.0.  I don't have full time IT support and we can't have a flakey install as these are K12 student credit courses.

by Howard Miller -
Let's be quite clear. You *must not* mix 1.9 code (or earlier) with 2.0 code or later. It will definitely break. All the low-level APIs changed in 2.0 and it isn't compatible with earlier code.

If you have got 1.9 code muddled up with your 2.0 installation then that's why it broke - simple as that. It isn't a problem as it was decided to make a clean break with 2.0.

by Patricia Warwick -

I understand that BUT (as a former programmer) if I replace all of the modules that were there with new modules wouldn't that also change all of the low-level APIs. How could the old APIs get called if their 2.0 versions are there. The 2.0 APIs should override any 1.9 versions ... or is that not true?

I know that this is an old thread ... but previously I reported that I completely reinstalled 1.9 so I was just making an comment.

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers

mmm I would suggest that it is not just a matter of code or APIs but the table and field structures as well. It does not matter that the newer database overwrites the older, but the steps to make it work when tables have been dropped, fields altered, Indexes changed, just so many things different, that you may never have a situation where a Moodle 1.9.x can be updated, you have to create a new install. You cannot mix and match - simple as that. One example I can think of is that we used CP/M-DOS then MS-DOS v2 and about v3 or 4 Windows 3.1 came along. Eventually DOS went up to v6, then Windows 95 arrived and so on and now Windows 7 is the probable equivalent of about DOS v11. Each step was a logical, almost, progression from the previous yet each builds on the previous. Not so with Moodle 1.9.x and v2.0. This is stepping from DOS v1 directly to Windows 7, some common elements but huge differences - too many for them to work together.

by Howard Miller -
I think we may be talking at cross purposes so I'll leave it at that.

I just wanted it to be clear to anybody else coming to these forums - there's a few pitfalls and possible points of confusion moving to Moodle 2, so I keep banging on about these (important) points.