"That function is currently disabled"?? Moodle 2

"That function is currently disabled"?? Moodle 2

by Steve Iman -
Number of replies: 18

I've set up a Moodle within a sub-directory of my server and designed quizzes. Unfortunately my students are having trouble receiving errors that "the functionality is currently disabled". I'm not sure if these are browser issues or not. Here are some observations:

On a Macintosh with Safari, an error message box appears whenever one clicks on the page outside the exact center of a choice or the "next" button which appears at the bottom of a display (I've asked that all questions be displayed on one page.. should I have them in smaller segments?) When the error box appears, it starts by defining the larger domain rather than sub-directory within which moodle rests. The message "that functionality is currently disabled". The box cannot be clicked out.. the only option is to shut down the browser.

This does not happen in Firefox if one leaves the AJAX turned off at Edit Profile for the student. In this combination, a test can be completed and submitted as intended. With the AJAX toggled to on, my Firefox trials produce the same floating error box.

I notice that when the student gets the floating error box and closes out the browser, when they return, they're allowed to "continue" although none of the prior answers are saved.

Any hints or suggestions would be deeply appreciated.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Steve Iman

Re: "That function is currently disabled"?? Moodle 2

by panos paras -

Hi, I have the same problem with many browsers included Firefox.

I went in module.js file, that is in moodle->mod->quiz, and comment in the lines

alert(M.str.quiz.functiondisabledbysecuremode); (lines 189,198)

and the error box is not showing any more.

I am not absolutely sure if this doesn't cause any other problems but it seems to work.

In reply to panos paras

by Steve Iman -

Thanks so much, Panos. I'm a real newbie at this and wouldn't know quite precisely even how to "comment" the lines. I hope we can get some support or comment from those who can assure us that we're not suffering potential consequences we know nothing aboutwink

In reply to Steve Iman

by Manish Verma -

Another top priority serious bug in moodle 2.

MDL-25900.

Manish.

In reply to Manish Verma

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Another bloody duplicate: This was already reported as MDL-25722.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Steve Iman -

Thanks Tim. Sorry to have posted a request for help on an issue if it's already known. I had searched on the error message in forums and didn't turn up anything. I suppose that I should be learning about the bug tracking system and how to make sure the issue isn't a new one?

I'd be appreciative of any comment regarding the suggestion earlier about the possibility of commenting out script. I'm not a coder, but a prof in the classroom with 150 undergraduate students who are after me to get things right. Would you suggest turning off the java window with the Quiz settings for Activity plug-ins?

In reply to Steve Iman

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

I had noticed the same error.  I have followed the suggestion and commented out those two lines.  Seems to be functioning ok - I will let you know if I notice anything strange.

If you open the .js file,  you will see several commented out lines where the developers are explaining what each part is for.  Those lines all start with //.  If you put those two slash marks on the lines mentioned, that effectively disables the alert box.   I do not see that the alert box is really necessary so hopefully it will not affect anything else.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Thanks everyone for your help with this. I have now issued a PULL request for this (PULL-137) which means in should be included in the next weekly build - or I may just have been too late for this week's build, in which case it will be next week.

(If you don't know what I mean when I talk about pull requests then don't worry. Basically they changed the development process just before Christmas, to increase the amount of code-review and testing. See Development:Process if you are intersted.)

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Emma Richardson -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers

Tim, This is still not working correctly.  Still get the same alert box that has to be clicked about five times before it goes away.

In reply to Emma Richardson

by Tim Hunt -

Can you try this please:

Go to Site administration / ► Development / ► Purge all caches and click the Purge all caches button.

Then try the quiz again. Thanks.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Emma Richardson -

Still no luck.  Using 2.0.2 right now - still have to comment out the alert lines in module.js.

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rob Johnson -

Hi Tim,

I see in the tracker this issue is marked as "Fixed," but I have a teacher reporting it after upgrading to the latest 2.1.2+.  The quiz where she saw this had only fill-in questions.  Thank you for any help in advance.

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Tim Hunt -

You are replying to a post made 9 months ago, and you are saying things like "this issue" and "reporting it" and "only fill-in questions" when Moodle does not have a question type called that, and I am completely not understanding what you mean.

It would be much easier if you could summarise:

1. what you are doing, that is how is the problem quiz set up;
  2. what you are actually seeing; and
  3. how that differs from your expectations.
Thanks.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rob Johnson -

I am very sorry for not being clear.

1. "This issue" was in reference to MDL-25722.  I had replied to your post above where you mentioned it.
  2. With the secure window turned on, Students are getting a "That function is currently disabled" message.  It hangs the browser.
  3. By fill-in question, I mean short answer.  Fill-in-the blank is a very common term here in the U.S.
  4. My expectations were that this would not happen because the bug report in your post ("this issue") is marked as fixed.  I was thinking something in the latest 2.1.2+ has caused it to recur.

Thank you, as always for your time and brain power. smile

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Tim Hunt -

Thanks, that is much easier to understand.

MDL-25722 was indeed fixed, and got rid of many "That function is currently disabled", but there many be other circumstances when it pops up erroniously that we have missed until now.

The one remaining fact we need is, what action by the student makes the message pop up? Is it clicking with the mouse, pressing a key, or something else?

In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rob Johnson -

It happens with a right click of the mouse in the answer field.  I am not sure the first pop-up is erroneous.  There is a a checkbox asking to disable the message.  If that is not checked, it takes the student several clicks on the OK button to get rid of the message and move on.  If it were to go away after the first click it would not be that big a deal.  Students would realized right click is disabled and stop trying.

In reply to Rob Johnson

by Tim Hunt -

That is definitely a bug then. The window should only appear once.

In reply to Manish Verma

by Manish Verma -

Couple more issues in connection with fullscreen secure mode:

• Even before the student chooses, "Yes" to "....Are you sure that you wish to start?" the quiz opens in fullscreen and the clock starts ticking.
  • Finally, in the fullscreen when student is reviewing his/her attempt, the page theme appears broken at the top (tested using Splash).
In reply to Manish Verma

by Ken Stokowski -

I had the same problem using Firefox, when I used Safari no error messages appeared. My students are on Macs.