/moodledata/trashdir needed in serverbackup?

/moodledata/trashdir needed in serverbackup?

by Dirk Weller -
Number of replies: 1

Hello backup-experts!

I do not only backup my courses but most of the content of my htdoc dir on my server plus mysql dumps every night. In Moodle Version 1.9.x I excluded some directories in /moodledata (e.g. tmp) to keep this sort of backup small.

I am now wondering if I can exclude /moodledata/trashdir too. Or, to phrase the question differently: Is /moodle + /moodledata without trashdir + the mysql dump enough to restore a Moodle 2 installation after a server-crash?

What is the trashdir directory in moodledata good for anyway (the "funny" Moodle 2 filenames make it hard to guess)?

Thank you very much,
Dirk

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Dirk Weller

Re: /moodledata/trashdir needed in serverbackup?

by Dirk Weller -

I have now excluded some directories inside /moodledata in order to minimize the file size of my server based backup with backup2l / rsync. I simply took a shot at excluding trashdir, but haven't tested a restore yet.

I assumed that excluding this directory would shrink the amount of data my scripts are collecting every night - but this is not so. To me it looks like Moodle 2 is constantly changing timestamps (or filenames - who knows) on files that have been uploaded long ago when cron is "walking" through the moodledata directory. If that is true and can be confirmed any try to incrementally backup Moodle installations using a mysql dump and the content of moodledata would not work.

Does anyone know a little more?

Dirk