Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas

by Urs Hunkler -
Number of replies: 12
Picture of Core developers
To all, who are not celebrating Christmas, I wish some nice days. To the others I wish merry Christmas.

The next days I will have some time to continue my work on the moodle CSS. So I would appreciate some feedback to my proposals about working on reforming the CSS for Moodle 1.5. It's much easyer to go on, when I can be shure to be on the rigth path.

By the way I can show you the state of my aktual moodle style project:

moodle_style_preview.gif
(please click on the image to see a large picture in a new tab/window)

The URL shown in the screenshot is a local one from my Xampp installation and is not reachable from the internet.

Many of the proposals I made here are incorporated in this design. So it's possible to have a diffeernt look of the blocks on the left and the right column of the course page. On the left you see a continuous navigation column with rollovers and without gaps between the blocks, on the right separate info boxes as they are known in moodle.

The top right picture is displayd in Jan Dierckx's "Glossary_Random" block (Thank you Jan for your great work). It is unchanged in code, the title and all text I have hidden by CSS.

many greetings
urs
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Urs Hunkler

Re: Merry Christmas

by Curtis Bond -

Urs,

Mir sieht es gut aus.

It looks good to me.  I like the option of having different styles on the left and right.

ttfn and have a great Christmas season.

Curtis

In reply to Urs Hunkler

Happy New Year

by Simone Grassetto -

Hi dear Urs,

also I was trying to edit the page without gaps between the blocks... so could you exchange your job? I mean could you share your CSS with us?
many thanks in advance.
Happy New Year.
Simone

In reply to Simone Grassetto

Re: Happy New Year

by Urs Hunkler -
Dear Simone,

Happy new year.

The CSS of my site is work in progress. I gladly show you how to disable the gaps between the blocks independently of my work. The following four pictures show the aspects.

moodle standard:
hide_br_01a.png

CSS property to disable the linefeed (the <br> tag):
hide_br_01b.png

The linefeeds within the blocks disapear too:
hide_br_01c.png

A second CSS property reactivates the linefeed within the sideblocks:
hide_br_01d.png

With the actual moodle installation we don't have access to the left column of the course page independently with CSS. Therefore I patched the php-file by giving the three basic cells of the "layout-table" of the course page the ids "left-column", "middle-column" and "right-column". With these anchors we can specify elements within these columns by the Contextual Selectors "#left-column .sideblockmain br" which means: influence only the <br> tag within all the objects with the class-name "sideblockmain" which are within the one and only object with the id "left-column".

The CSS part looks like:
#left-column br {
    display:none;
}
#left-column .sideblockmain br {
    display:inline;
}

I hope this helps for now.
Urs

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by claudio premarini -
Hi Urs, happy holidays to you too!
Where can I find your theme? I'm really interested in it!
Thanks.
Claudio

In reply to claudio premarini

by Urs Hunkler -
Hi Claudio,

I'm sorry not to be able to help you for now. As I wrote in the answer to Simone's posting my theme is work in progress and is based on fundamental changes of the moodle templates (complement the php-files with basic divs, which are named with ids and classe as discussed in the developer wiki). With these changes styling moodle becomes much more flexible and I hope I get the chance to support the developers to make these changes part of moodle 1.5. For moodle 1.5 I plan to contribute a new theme with similar attributes as the theme shown here.

Urs

In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Jan Dierckx -
Nice theme, sorry to hear it is not yet downloadable. Your use of the glossary_random block (hiding the title and text) made me think about a change in the block's code. The new version (updated to be compatible with moodle 1.5, alas it's no longer compatible with moodle 1.4.x) checks if the teacher has provided a title and footer text. If not the block is displayed like in the first screenshot you provided.    
In reply to Jan Dierckx

by Urs Hunkler -
hi jan,

thanks for the nice words.

great idea. i tried to put the pictures into the glossary without titles - that doesn't work. the glossary title is a must. can you imagine options (perhaps checkboxes) in the prefernces for the block?

urs
In reply to Urs Hunkler

by Jan Dierckx -
Urs,
I thought you were talking about the title of the block itself. This is now hidden when a teacher enters no title.
You want the block to only show the glossary definition, not the concept+definition, right? It's indeed not possible to enter  a definition without a concept in the glossary (which seems a logical decision to me tongueout)
I'll try to find a solution...
In reply to Jan Dierckx

New block: random pictures / pic of the day

by Jan Dierckx -
If what you are trying to do, is displaying randomly chosen pictures, you could try a separate block I made for this purpose. I still have to test it and make it more compatible with the unfinished gallery module. A teacher uploads a zipped directory with images. The block displays one of them at random.
You can find it here
In reply to Jan Dierckx

Re: New block: random pictures / pic of the day

by Urs Hunkler -
thanks jan,

i'll try it. could you please give me a note when you are ready with testing?

urs
In reply to Urs Hunkler

Re: New block: random pictures / pic of the day

by Jan Dierckx -
The block only works on 1.5 so it is not meant for a production environment, but if people have a test install of Moodle 1.5, they can test it. It doesn't resize the uploaded pics, so you have to make sure they are small enough to fit inside a block.  Uploading needs to be done via the files menu.
(Both these things should eventually be handled by the gallery module it will become part of, but it seems I can't find the time to finish that one)
Attachment randompic.GIF