Moodle 2.0 Lesson migration problem with "Continue" in Content page

Moodle 2.0 Lesson migration problem with "Continue" in Content page

{$a->নাম} - {$a->তারিখ} দ্বারা
Number of replies: 9
Core developers এর ছবি Particularly helpful Moodlers এর ছবি Plugin developers এর ছবি Testers এর ছবি Translators এর ছবি

Matt Fedorko wrote:

on any Lesson that DOES NOT end in a Question Page, when clicking Continue on the last page, I will arrive at a page that says "Could not find lesson pages." Then a link to "More information about this error" : http://docs.moodle.org/en/error/lesson/cannotfindpages and a "Continue" button that takes me all of the way to the top level of Moodle (by the way -- I hate that when ever there's a problem, it bumps you all of the way up there). I can fix this by going into the last page in each lesson, editing the lesson, and adding text for the button into "Description*" under "Content 1" and changing the dropdown menu to "End of Lesson" or "Next page." However, I do not want to do this for 30 some lessons in one course alone!

In Moodle 1.9, if you didn't write anything in the equivalent of the "Description*" box, it assumed that the button should say "Continue" and it should go to "Next Page." Why has this assumption been removed? It was perfectly reasonable. Now I have to go through every page in every lesson and change them to "Next Page" and label the button "Continue"? And in the process change the formatting of every page from what I want to some random formatting (See the second forum link above)? Oi!

1.- If your lesson does not end in a Question Page, what kind of page does it end with, then? I suppose it ends in a Content page. What did you put in the Jump field of that last page? If it's the last page of your lesson, you should put Jump:  "End of Lesson". Can you please check and report?

2.- The "More information about this error" links in Moodle are a pretty new feature, and a large number of links have not been written in the Documentation Wiki yet.

3.- I agree that the migration process should automatically fill in the Description field with "Continue" and its Jump field with "Next page". That has been overlooked in the migration scripts somewhere.

After further testing and confirmation by other people in this forum, I will post to the bug tracker the necessary information.

Joseph

রেটিং এর গড়: -
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

Re: Moodle 2.0 Lesson migration problem with "Continue" in Content page

1.) All of the Lessons were imported from Moodle 1.9. That is to say, I have never put anything in the jump field on the last pages, because previously you did not have to. That is to say, if it were a Question Page, I made sure that wrong answers went to "This Page" and right answers went to "Next Page," but if "Next Page" was the only option (in content pages / branch tables OR question pages), then I just left it blank. The jump fields on all of the pages remain blank essentially. When I edit a page in any way, Moodle now insists I fill that blank with a choice and some word for the button -- simultaneously causing the formatting change I alluded to in another post -- but there is NOTHING in the jump field of the last page or any page because there was nothing before.

In reply to Matt Fedorko

Core developers এর ছবি Particularly helpful Moodlers এর ছবি Plugin developers এর ছবি Testers এর ছবি Translators এর ছবি

Matt "... but there is NOTHING in the jump field of the last page or any page because there was nothing before."

Well, I'm afraid you'll have to put "End of Lesson" in that Jump field for the Lesson to reach the end. This looks to me not so much as a bug introduced in 2.0 as an abnormal behavior in previous 1.9 which has now been fixed.

Joseph

Potentially. However, we have both agreed that if no selection is made in the jump field of a content page that "Next Page" is a safe assumption, with button text as "Continue." A linear path through a lesson, I would think, would be the rule rather than the exception. Furthermore, the error that's arisen here is fixed by either changing the jump field to "Next Page" OR "End of Lesson." That tells me that Moodle STILL looks for a "next page" and if it doesn't find one, takes you to "End of Lesson." In other words, if the 'next page as default' assumption --which, again, we've agreed is a good thing -- is returned, then this end of lesson problem will be fixed as well.

That is, provided the updater / installer will adjust all of my lessons for me. If not, then I'm stuck changing them manually ANYWAY. I still think it's annoying enough that it should be fixed, whether it's just for new lessons or all of them.

(What I mean by that is the default in the pull down menu for the first jump field (the required one), right now, is "This Page." Why would that be the default? And why would I have to type "Continue" into every page to fill that button? If I never saw it any other way, maybe I wouldn't complain, but the functionality WAS there, you know?)

To provide one more confirmation site; we have also, indeed, encountered it as a bug and found that it has deeper ramifications.  If we as admin, "switch role to ... Student" and click continue on the last, non-question, page of a lesson, not only does it throw us out to the "Site home" page, but it causes the course to disappear from the lists in admin and remains inaccessable until we logoff and back on.

On one lesson, we added a resource, following the pages, and then it did not throw admin out (to the "Site home" page), but proceded on to the resource.  However, upon returning to Site home, we still discovered the course missing and no longer accessible.

Indeed, it is a bug and needs to be fixed.  [we are running 2.0.2]

Thank you for submitting it to the tracker.

In reply to Greg Smith

How odd that I had removed myself from these forums for a couple months on account of the sheer volume of problems I was having going unfixed, and as soon as I make the decision to come back (after an upgrade to 2.0.3) to look for an answer to a new problem, I find an old post of mine, being replied to by someone with the same new problem I was having!

Anyway, I haven't gotten in and looked around yet for a solution to my problem, which has to do with some odd behavior of the cluster option inside Lessons, but I did notice that to preview Clusters, you need to switch your role to student to properly preview "Unseen question within a cluster" jumps. After doing so, it seems to work okay for a bit," until it delivers an error that says "Can't find lesson pages." If I click "Continue" (NEVER CLICK CONTINUE IN THIS INSTANCE), Moodle, being the ridiculous monster that its, throws me to the "SIte Home" page, where the course I was just in is no longer listed until I log out and log in again.

Anyway, I'm going to poke around for other people talking specifically about problems with the Cluster function and post my exact problem there, but I did want to tell you, Greg, that someone else is having that exact same problem.

I think that:

1. If Continue button on last lesson page gives error "Could not find lesson pages" for all lessons after upgrading - it is bug. I created MDL-29296.

2. Point 3 is developer error. I created MDL-28994.

In reply to Artem Andreev

We are running into this also so having to go through each class and change each lesson navigation. ...

In reply to Debbie McDonald

This is apparently a reported error in Moodle  2.0.4, 2.1.1, 2. that has been fixed. We are running 2.0.2 (long story...). Now to figure out how to implement the fix and we are golden! 

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-29296?focusedCommentId=123131&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-123131