Unusual display of matching question (lesson in Moodle 2.0.1)

Unusual display of matching question (lesson in Moodle 2.0.1)

gan Hartmut Scherer -
Number of replies: 11

Hi all,

Please excuse, if this has already been mentioned before. In a fresh installation of Moodle 2.0.1 (Build: 20101225), the display of the matching question moves the answer choices too much to the left. I used the Overlay theme without any tweaking, displayed in Firefox 3.6.13.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Attachment Lesson-Display of Matching Question.jpg
Cyfartaledd sgoriau: -
In reply to Hartmut Scherer

Re: Unusual display of matching question (lesson in Moodle 2.0.1)

gan Joseph Rézeau -
Llun o Core developers Llun o Particularly helpful Moodlers Llun o Plugin developers Llun o Testers Llun o Translators

Hi Hartmut,

This is not a theme issue, as the same happens with any other theme. I have identified the problem as coming from the .fitemtitle CSS format (width: 15%). I will try to come up with a solution ASAP, or will post a bug report.

Joseph

PS.- When you have a display problem, please always test with the Standard theme first.

Attachment 04-01-2011 09-28-30.jpg
In reply to Joseph Rézeau

gan brian avery -

I changed mine to 20% and padding-right 2.

I don't know if it'll make a mess of something else but it's the minimum required to separate answers and questions.

Brian

In reply to brian avery

gan Joseph Rézeau -
Llun o Core developers Llun o Particularly helpful Moodlers Llun o Plugin developers Llun o Testers Llun o Translators

Brian,

Just to be on the safe side, I would recommend changing the fitemtitle class specifically for the lesson view page. You can do this by adding the following line to your moodle2/mod/lesson/styles.css file:

#page-mod-lesson-view .fitemtitle {text-align:left; width:50%;}

A width of 50% is reasonable, if you keep the text of the right pairs short enough (see #3 below).

Notes.-

1. The display of the matching question in Quiz is better than in Lesson.
  2. A number of small fixes are needed for the Lesson module. Hopefully a new maintainer will be appointed by Moodle HQ, who will take care of the many bug reports which are pending.
  3. The problem with the matching question type, as well in Quiz as in Lesson is that it makes use of a dropdown list for the pairs to be matched on the right. When the text of those pairs is longish, the dropdown lists may take a large amount of horizontal space, which reduces the horizontal space available to the text of the left pairs. A better solution would be to adopt the "drag & drop" feature of the Hot Potatoes matching question type. But this feature has its own (vertical) problems.
Cyfartaledd sgoriau:Useful (1)

gan Emma Richardson -
Llun o Documentation writers Llun o Particularly helpful Moodlers Llun o Plugin developers

I am having the opposite problem.  In any theme apart from standardold, the dropdown list is not even visible because it is too far to the right.  I am also having issues with images extending too far to the right.  This is with the quiz module.

In reply to Emma Richardson

gan Joseph Rézeau -

Hi Emma,

You say "This is with the quiz module". But you posted to the Lesson forum.

I do not understand.

Joseph

gan Emma Richardson -
Llun o Documentation writers Llun o Particularly helpful Moodlers Llun o Plugin developers

Sorry but this was the closest post that I found to my issue and you had mentioned the quiz module.  I thought it might be a related issue.

In reply to Emma Richardson

gan Ravi Vare -
Hi Joseph and Emma,
I am facing same problem.

Unusual display of matching in Lesson activity.

Plz. if you have any information regarding this one.then suggest me.

I am using moodle 1.9.10.

Q.In which php file makes to change?
Q.pl. Suggest appropriate percentage

TIA
Ravi
Attachment unusal format of Matching.JPG
In reply to Ravi Vare

gan Joseph Rézeau -

Ravi,

Please see the fix I suggested in my post above, dated Tuesday, 4 January 2011, 12:27 PM.

Joseph

In reply to Ravi Vare

gan Ravi Vare -
Mauno suggest me following Ans.
and it works

Hi Ravi,

in moodle 1.9.10 that css is hardcoded to lesson module files - the link you gave is discussing about moodle 2 lesson module layout and moodle 2 themes are using different code.

Anyway if I understood it correct you would like to have answers aligned to the left... or something like that...

You can edit file mod/lesson/view.php and find there

foreach ($answers as $answer) {
if ($answer->response != NULL) {
echo '';

gan Matt Fedorko -

Is this the recommended permanent fix for this problem or will a change be included in a new build?

Thank you.

In reply to Matt Fedorko

gan Joseph Rézeau -

It's only a suggested fix. We have to wait until the programmers at Moodle HQ make a decision.