Limit the teacher from viewing all courses

Limit the teacher from viewing all courses

by iwan chen -
Number of replies: 12

hi all..

i'm quite new to moodle..

only one question though, i assign teacher 1 for course a, 2 for course b, 3 for course c, but teacher every teacher can view and edit all the course. how do i limit them jut to view and edit their assigned course?

thank you..

Average of ratings: -
In reply to iwan chen

Re: Limit the teacher from viewing all courses

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hi there. Go to site admin (on the front page) then users>permissions>assign system roles and make sure you have NO teachers asssigned the role of teacher in there - if you do, then they will be able to view and edit all the courses as you say. You should just assign them in each course as you have been doing.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by iwan chen -

i'm sorry.. i not quite understand yet..

as you say, i must make sure no teacher assigned in the teacher role, so i must move teacher into what role?? if it's not teacher role it can't function like a teacher.

thank you..

In reply to iwan chen

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

Hello again! If you are the administrator of your Moodle then on your front page you should have a link in site administration>users>permissions>assign system roles like the one in this screenshot:

If you see, there is a big warning at the top that says if you assign roles here then that person has the role throughout all of your Moodle. So if you make a teacher here then they can teach and edit all the courses - if you are a French teacher in the real world you wouldn't be able to teach Maths or Science or Music or PE - and so you should not be able to on Moodle either. To make a teacher you must give your user the teacher role inside a course, not here on the main page.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by iwan chen -

thankyou mary, it works.. but the teacher still can view other course by enrolling. i put the enrollment key but it  only effect student not teacher. the teache can still view the other course but can't edit it. how can i prevent the teacher to enroll??

thank you..

In reply to iwan chen

by Mary Cooch -

Hello again. If you put on an enrolment key to all your courses and the teacher doesn't know the enrolment key - then he should not be able to access the course at all. It should be the same for him as for your students. Is your site in English? If it is then I will have a look inside it for you. If not, we'll try to find the solution to this.

In reply to Mary Cooch

by iwan chen -

thank you again mary...

it worked.. but i wonder if can i make only the assigned course shows up, and the unassigned course disappear for each teacher?

so i don't risk other user enroll with brute force..

thank you again... lol

In reply to iwan chen

by Mary Cooch -

Hi again. I am not quite sure what you mean but if you have taken out the teachers from the assign system roles link and if you have only assigned them in the courses where you wan them to teach -then they should not appear in any other courses and the teachers themselves should only have their own courses appearing in their lists. Can you also check that in site admin>users>permissions>user policies you have your default user as "authenticated user" (and not student)?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by iwan chen -

as you see in the picture below, hendra irawan is a teacher for algoritma course but other course comes up in he screen too. i already did what you told me..

1. i assign hendra inside the course

2. user policies' default is authenticated user.

and my web is not online yet. like i told you i'm newbie.. lol

In reply to iwan chen

by ben reynolds -

I wonder if this is an issue of changing the course settings to "Course enrollable" = "no"?

Or, maybe it is about how the Front Page is set up. If My Moodle is turned on, users should only see the courses they are in. They can still use the search box to find other courses, but if the other courses are set to "course enrollable > no," they can't get into those courses.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to iwan chen

by Mary Cooch -

Hi again - I can't see your images I am afraid - could you try to upload them again?

In reply to Mary Cooch

by iwan chen -

it's working.... lol..

thanx a lot guys..