Krystle - New Moodle2 theme

Krystle - New Moodle2 theme

by Richard Oelmann -
Number of replies: 105
Picture of Core developers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Hi

Have just uploaded a new theme for Moodle 2 called Krystle (pending approval).

Krystle Screenshot

It can be downloaded from here

The theme is based around Mary Evans' AardvarkLite for Moodle2 and incorporates the Moodle2 custom menus into Lei Zhang's AwesomeBar.

And at this point I'll use the tried and trusted author's comment - credit to everyone whose work I have used in this theme, while retaining all errors to myself! smile

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Richard Oelmann

Re: Krystle - New Moodle2 theme

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Just approved this theme Richard. Thanks for adding it to the Moodle Themes repository.

Cheers,

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Craig Mackey -

Richard/Mary,

I'm having another little issue with Krystle2 in the Editing Quiz Window.

It appears that in 2 parts of the window the text is coloured dark blue.

Unfortunately the Question Bank Contents next to the [Show]/[Hide] link is Dark Blue on the blue background. The problem is independent of course format or browser (IE9/FF9).

The images below show where Firebug indicates where the styling occurs, but I can't find the correct css file to make the change. When I change the color #000066 in firebug, both texts change colour, and because of the different backgrounds this causes a problem.

Any technical assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou in advance,
Craig.

In reply to Craig Mackey

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Craig,

I don't have Krsytle2 installed in work to go to the particular page to give you explicit instructions, but on a general note to help you along, using firebug - at the moment you are looking at the <h2> setting for both, and as you say this is set across the theme rather than for individual elements. However, you can use firebug to isolate the different <h2> elements and style them specifically.

If you click on the element you want to change (probably the one with the blue background?) and inspect that element with firebug, you can use the code window (the one on the left in your images) to work out the css tree for that selector - or you can right click on it and ask firebug to copy the full css path for that particular element (which you can then paste into your css file and add the rule to it). Now this may give you too much detail on the selector and you may be able to get rid of some of that code, but it should point to that specific element on that particular page which will allow you to set a rule just for that one specific element.

Alternatively, rather than changing the text colour, you could change the background colour for some of the elements - possibly to match the red highlight you have through the image on the banner???

If you need any more help with this, I'll try to take a look at it this evening when I'm home smile

Richard

In reply to Craig Mackey

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers

Try the following, also...becasue Krystle is based on my Aardvark Makeover theme, which I am currently upgrading to add a settings page and fix all the other problems Moodle has thrown at the themes...report layout printing of report etc...it's not easy, but thanks for the feedback which helps with updating themes!

Here's a fix I did in another theme which should work.

Cheers

Mary

PS: Keep the questions comming! smile

PPS: One thing you could do is put the css files through the CSS Validator. This will tell you where background and and text color are the same and give you a warning.

http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/#validate_by_upload

Cheers

/*
Question Box
-----------------------*/

#chooseqtypebox {
    margin-top: 1em;
    padding: 10px 15px;
}

#page-question-edit.path-question td.iconcol img.iconsmall {
    border: 0px;
    border-radius: 0;
    height: 10px;
    margin: 1px;
    padding: 2px;
    width: 10px;
}
#page-question-edit.path-question  table#categoryquestions th a {
    color: #A9011A;
}

table#categoryquestions td,
#page-mod-quiz-edit table#categoryquestions th {
    border: 1px solid #ddd;
    overflow: hidden;
    white-space: nowrap;
}

/* Autocompletion
-------------------------*/
.path-course-view li.activity span.autocompletion,
.path-course-view li.activity form.togglecompletion {
    display: inline;
    padding: 0.2em 0;
    position: absolute;
    right: -20px;
    top: 0;
    z-index: 10;
}

In reply to Mary Evans

by Craig Mackey -

Richard/Mary,

Thankyou both - it appears that I have been able to find a solution. smile

Firstly I had changed the h2 color to a nice bright pink to see what happened. From that it was obvious that I needed to create a style for the individual element because pink text was popping up quite frequently - as expected. This also highlighted an issue with the dock that I was going to look into down the track - more on this later.

I copied the css code from Mary's post above into krystle2_styles.css, but nothing appeared to change - I am suspecting that I need to allocate that style by changing something in one of the php files - which I'm really not familiar with. Hence I ended up copying the full css path into the style sheet as per Richards suggestion and then setting the colour to white and that fixed the problem.
I had also put krystle2_styles.css  through the css validator and it came up with a lot of warnings, but they didn't seem specific to my problem (that I could interpret anyway).

So my krystle2_styles.css file now has the following lines of code (which I assume will apply to that element only):

Which results in:

Now ther are two other issues that I noticed during this exercise:

1. Awesomebar dropdowns underneath some content, and
  2. Navigation dock - first docked item.

1. Awesomebar:
    I had noticed in one of the forums that the awesomebar displays underneath tabs in the onetopic format but hadn't worried too much about it.
    In OneTopic it appears that the active tab displays over the awesomebar - which breaks it as you mouse over the tab.
    This also happens in other places - on the quiz editing screen for one (any course format).
    Again the current tab is over the awesomebar, as are the grade/save box/buttons. Note that the grade/save box also slides over the question details as the window is resized - so it appears that these are styled to be above everything else including the awesomebar.
    This may assist in getting on top of this issue that had previously come up.

2. Navigation Dock
    I'm not sure if this has come up previously but there are a couple of little quirks with the navigation dock in Krystle2.

The first block that is docked is smaller and the text is not white - when I changed line 37 of krysle2_styles.css to pink (during the adventures above) the text whent pink - (originally dark blue #000066) - hence it's picking up this style for some reason. I had previously noticed this behaviour but the pink text highlights this interesting behaviour further.
    After additional blocks are docked, and the first is undocked and redocked it is styled differently. See below.
    Other than the size and colour of the first docked item things seem to work normally.

First docked item - same text colour as the heading

Here is the sequence of events (with the normal krystle2 styling):
1 - First Docked item - small and blue text.

2 - After 2nd block docked the first docked block is the correct size with blue text

3 - After undocking the lower docks slide up as normal and display correctly 

4 - After redocking all are displayed correctly

After clearing the dock by undocking all items, the process starts again.

Thanks again for the help smile and I hope my observations above are helpful.

Regards,
Craig.

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for your new theme and particularly for merging both menus. I played quite a bit during the last two days and enjoyed using the theme.

Is it possible to have the awesome menu first and the Moodle custom menu last? Could you post the changed default.php?

The Grader Report seems to be too close to the top margin. The menu was above the header, but moved into the header in the grader report view. Other than this I am very happy with this new theme.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

Attachment Grader Report.jpg
In reply to Hartmut Scherer

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Hartmut,

I'm glad you liked the theme.

I'll have a play with these for you this afternoon - thought moving the custom menu to the end would be really simple by moving the echo statement, but it actually puts it onto another line, so may have to look at the renderer/css as well.

Not really familiar with the Grader Report as I don't use it myself, but at first glance I'd guess this may be css related and again will try to look at it this afternoon.

Richard

by Richard Oelmann -

Hartmut,

Item2 resolved: in the config.php file, the page layout for report pages was set to 'report.php' which does not exist. This needs to be edited to 'default.php' as below

// The pagelayout used for reports
'report' => array(
'file' => 'default.php',
'regions' => array('side-pre'),
'defaultregion' => 'side-pre',
),

I've attached the corrected config.php and as soon as I have had chance to look at the other request you had, I will upload that and an updated .zip file of the amended theme. smile

Richard

by Richard Oelmann -

Hartmut,

First request also solved

Personally I prefer the moodle custom menus before the admin etc, so probably won't include these changes in the theme itself, but for you and for anyone else who would like this option (and obviously if there are more requests, I'll change teh theme itself and use the variations myself! smile )

the default.php needs to be edited so that the highlighted line is moved as below

<div id="awesomebar">

<?php
$topsettings = new krystle_topsettings_renderer($this->page, null);
echo $topsettings->navigation_tree($this->page->navigation); ?>
<div id="krystlemenu"><?php echo $custommenu; ?></div>

<?php       echo $topsettings->settings_tree($this->page->settingsnav);
?>
<div id="krystlemenu"><?php echo $custommenu; ?></div>
</div>

and the lib.php also needs to be edited to comment out/remove the line below

public function settings_tree(settings_navigation $navigation) {
global $CFG;
$content = $this->navigation_node($navigation, array('class' => 'dropdown  dropdown-horizontal'));
if (has_capability('moodle/site:config', get_context_instance(CONTEXT_SYSTEM))) {
$content .= $this->search_form(new moodle_url("$CFG->wwwroot/$CFG->admin/search.php"), optional_param('query', '', PARAM_RAW));
}
//        $content .= html_writer::empty_tag('br', array('clear' => 'all'));
return $content;
}

by Richard Oelmann -

Attached default.php for the comment above

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Richard,

You are amazingly fast and accurate. Both changes work. As I try to keep a record of all changes to the Krystle theme, I don't mind if you prefer the original menu setting. I am glad and thankful that you shared the changes of the php-files.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Paul Taylor -

Hi Richard:

Lovely theme as indicated by all here.   Is there a way to put in my own logo?  I replaced the logo.png in the /pix/header folder, but it makes no difference.

Regards,

Paul

In reply to Paul Taylor

by Richard Oelmann -

Paul,

That really is all you need to do. However, as Moodle caches everything, it is a good idea to make sure you have Designer mode enabled in the theme settings and clear all caches, both in the browser and in moodle itself. Your new logo should then show up.

Richard

by Richard Oelmann -

Paul,

Should have said - Theme Designer mode only if you are making other changes to the theme, you don't really want it turned on once you have finalised your theme and are using it on a production site as it will slow everything down.

In reply to Paul Taylor

by Gisele Brugger -

Hi Paul,

In moodle 2 .0 you need to clear cache :

acess http://yourserver.com/moodle/admin/purgecaches.php

or

Site administration -> Development ->Purge all cache

good luck

In reply to Gisele Brugger

by Paul Taylor -

Quite obvious when you think about it.  Thanks for that.  I had reset the browser cache and even restarted apache, but didn't know about the new Moodle cache.  One to remember.

by Mary Evans -

Hi Richard,

I've just downloaded and added Krystle to my WAMP test server to take it for a test drive. Problem is though I got this message (see image below) when trying to select the theme. Which makes me glad I have debugging enabled else I would not have seen the notice.

There is a conflict going on with 'decaf' which is mentioned in krystle/lib.php four times.

I was also concerend you have two renderer files which both hold more or less the same information.

Thinking about this, I think your first priority is to resolve the problem in lib.php by changing the name 'decaf' to read 'krystle' and then look at renderers.php in decaf theme, my aardvark_lite theme, and your krystle theme, because I think you could do away with your customrender.php and add it all into the renderers.php just leaving the one file.

Sorry to cut this message short, but I'm having probs with the forum today...it's like moving through tar it is so slow.

If you want to discuss best way to resolve this decaf conflict issue by email that's fine by me.

Catch you later.

Mary

Attachment krystle-error.jpg
In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Mary,

Many thanks for pointing this out for me.

I was aware that the renderers needed tidying up and hope to make progress on that over the next day or two, but was not aware of the conflict in lib.php - decaf itself was installed on a different laptop when I was working on this theme and so the conflict didn't crop up, unfortunately. but as you advise, will make correcting that a priority this evening and then look at the renderers again too. smile

Edit: lib.php corrected (I hope!) and attached here - Krystle download itself will be updated once the renderers issue is also tidied up

by Mary Evans -

I've approve the changes if they havn't been done already.

By the way, now that the theme can be selected, I like the theme alot, the blue looks really good, very regal. Reminds me much of a poetry site I used to visit. The Awesomebar is awesome! Good move to add the custommenu, although there will be limits as to the number you can easily fit in the menu bar too many and it would break. But the idea of a top menu bar does free up a lot of the mainpage.

I'm not happy with the way the side block h2 headers slip off the header images, though. I think it's the way the images are placed. It does this on in my aardvark-lite theme.

Take care

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Mary,

Having struggled through the hard way with trying to match up and clean the renderers - without much success (possibly due to split concentration between that and the Ashes in the middle of the night! lol!) Finally came to the realisation that the easiest way works best, as usual! and simply deleted the customrenderers.php file (custmenrederer.php thanks to some other midnight typing -oops!). That leaves everything working properly on my test machine, but would appreciate it if you could also test for me before I actually update the theme upload later.

I'd noticed the problem with the sideblock headers and that it had been noted in your aardvark-lite theme thread as well. It seems to me to be that when the docking images on the sideblock are first placed, they come up as the alternative text first. This then pushes the h2 heading down. When the page is refreshed, the images are already loaded and the h2 text is positioned correctly.

On my local test site, this issue seems to disappear when Theme designer mode is turned off - presumably as the images are then cached and the page brings them up immediately without first displaying the alternative text as the images are loading.

Richard

Edit: Mary, went back to look at the sideblocks issue, but even after resetting Theme Designer mode and clearing all caches, my local server wont replicate the issue anymore - don's understand why that should be (or shouldn't be? argh my head is spinning! lol!)

Had the idea of giving the h2 a z-index value to ensure it was in front of the alternative texts for the images, but now can't test if that works or if it causes any other display issues :D

Richard

by Mary Evans -

Hi Richard,

Don't worry about it. I had forgotten about D/Mode being enabled. Of course the problem stops when it's disabled.I had a similar issue while testing a new theme which is based on Arctic. In D/Mode/ON the menu wordek fine, in D/Mode/OFF the menu broke sending the menu list down the page. Panic stations!!! It seemed to all stem from the CSS changes I had made to the menu bar. I just don't know why it broke though. The CSS looked fine although, thinking about it I think I was perhaps being too adventurous trying to match the menu to the double coloured rounded corners of the Docking Module.

I'll have a look at the Krystle theme, but am gonna be busy today, so might not get chance to test before you upload new file!

Ciao for now

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

Thanks Mary,

Have uploaded the new zip file for the theme to my site here

Hope you get your new theme sorted, always look forward to seeing your new designs as they are wonderful!

Richard

by Richard Oelmann -

Please note - having moved my webhost, the new download link for Krystle can be found HERE

This includes several minor updates such as those suggested by Hartmut in this thread and also a colour correction for the sideblock headings having viewed the theme on several different monitors! smile

The Themes database entry for Krystle has been modified.

Richard

by Gisele Brugger -

Hello Richard,

I made some changes in style / blocks.css to put the rounded edges

changing this lines

#region-post .block .header {
border-bottom:0px none none;
background: url([[pix:theme|sideblocks/rtrib]]) no-repeat right top;
padding: 2px 5px;
-webkit-border-radius: 6px;
-moz-border-radius: 6px;
border-radius: 6px;
}

and

.block .header h2 {
margin: 4px;
padding: 0px;
font-size: 110%;
font-weight: bold;
color: #fff;

}

see this image

tela1

or this

tela2

thank you for sharing this beautiful work

by Richard Oelmann -

I like the look of the sites Gisele, and thank you for your comments on the theme smile

Richard

by Deleted user -

Hi Richard,

I have already downloaded Krystal a few days back. Really like the theme! Trying to download the new Krystal from http://editconsultants.net/moodle/mod/resource/view.php?id=10. I get an error "Invalid course module ID".

I also wanted to hide the moodle link and footer text. Read several posts about the same and understand the code "div#footer .logininfo { display: none}

div#footer .sitelink {display: none}" should be incorporated in the css. However I am not clear where this code should be added. I tried adding it in the krystle.css file and it did not hide the moodle linkor the footer text.

In reply to Deleted user

by Richard Oelmann -

Apologies saru, the link should now read id=11 (click HERE) having had to make some changes on my website and re-upload things. I will correct that on the theme page as soon as I've written this to you smile

In krystle.css, in the Core: Page Footer section, you will find all the css sections for teh text and images displayed in the footer, adding display:none; in the respective section will hide that part of the footer. Note the ; at the end of each line though, which is missing in your code. If you are using Firefox, then the Firebug addon will help you to determine exactly which element you want to hide and its class/id - in krystle they are page-footer rather than footer.

Richard

Edit: Also, don't forget to clear any caches - both the browser cache and in moodle itself: Site Administration>Development>Purge all caches

Alternatively, if you are working on the theme and making several changes, enable the Theme Designer Mode in Theme settings. This will then allow changes to be seen immediately, although should be turned back off for a production website as it will slow performance down.

by Gisele Brugger -

Hello Richard,

I suggest the inclusion of two strings in Krystle / lang / en / theme_krystle.php

$string['mynavigation'] = 'My navigation';
$string['home'] ='Home';

and alter file Krystle /lib.php

line 21 : $content .= ' Home';

to : $content .=  get_string('home', 'theme_krystle');

and

line 27 : $content .= ' My Navigation';

to :     $content .= get_string('mynavigation', 'theme_krystle');

thank you

Average of ratings: Useful (2)

by Richard Oelmann -

Excellent suggestion Giselle - would make the theme more usable in other languages.

by Richard Oelmann -

Corrected download link HERE - apologies for any confusion caused

Richard

by Deleted user -

Hi Richard-Thanks for your response.  I able to hide the copyright information after your response, but still dont' know how to hide hte moodle logo. Pls advice.. My firefox has the firebug add-on now-trying to get familiar with it.

In reply to Deleted user

by Richard Oelmann -

If you right click on the item and select Inspect Element from the drop down that will show you the code, including the css classes etc. for the item as in the screenshot.

screenshot

The logo here is in the page-footer, inside a p tag and is an img. This gives you the code to add to the css file.

#page-footer p img {display:none;}

The Themes/CSS documents are good places to look for help with this.

Richard

by Gisele Brugger -

Hello Richard and all,

I found this error today , in line 202 lib.php.

See image .

When a change theme to default moodle (FormFactor, formalwhite and others) i dont find this error.  Suggestions ?

by Gisele Brugger -

Hello Richard,

After much debugging I found out where the problem is:
The teacher added a resource type of label in the main menu within the course (on the left menu) and restricted access (visibility) through the start date and end date by date.
The same would be visible only at a future date.
When I removed the restriction from the date the error disappeared.

in line 202 (lib.php) the value to $sections[$cm->sectionnumber]->sectionnode was null

$activities = $this->load_section_activities($sections[$cm->sectionnumber]->sectionnode, $cm->sectionnumber, get_fast_modinfo($course));

Can you test this situation . Thank you

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Gisele,

Thanks for raising this. I'll try to take a look at it over the weekend

Richard

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Gisele,

not much help yet I'm afraid - yes I can confirm the behaviour you reported, and the reason for it (the code is expecting a resource to add to the menu - because the resource exists, but it returns a null value because of the restrictions put on the resource), but I haven't managed to get a working fix in place yet. I'll continue to work on it and let you know as soon as I manage it.

Richard

by Mary Evans -

@Richard,

Hi Rich,

I've just seen this post and associated error message Giesle posted in previous post. Why is decaf mentoned in the lib.php? Is there still references to Decaf theme it in Krystle files someplace? Just a thought...

Cheers,

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Mary,

That's one of the things I've been looking at in debugging this over the weekend, but i don't understand where it's coming from as I've done a search in lib and renderers and cannot find any references to decaf (that was a fault I rectified when the theme was first released- but I double checked anyway!) and base is the only parent theme. mixed

@Gisele - please could you just check that you don't have an old version that still refers to decaf in the code.

Thanks

Richard

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Richard,

If I use long section titles in a topics format course, the second line of the section title will be covered by the following section title.

The complete title of #1 is "T02-Welcome to testing Moodle 2." For longer course names the menu automatically expands (see #2). I used Firebug but I was unable to find the CSS in "Awesomebar.css" that I need to change.

I appreciate any helpful advice.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Mary Evans -

Hi Hartmut,

The problem, I would say, is DO NOT WRITE LONG NAMES in the 'short name' section when setting up a course. I tried recently to get this changed in Moodle Tracker to force people to keep 'short name' short with a max of 25 characters. It has been reduced minimally in a recent update of Moodle 2.0.2, but not enough in my humble opinion.

This same 'short name' is used in all Navigation and is supposed to be 'short' for this reason and this reason alone.

If you test your Message area of your profile you will see that the long names distort the search box in that page. Therefore this problem can only be solved by reducing the coures 'short name', and that goes for the Awesomebar too.

My suggestion to you is, don't try to break the Awesomebar just because of a 'what if' scenario, when the obligation of keeping a 'short name' short is in the hands of the Administrator, or Editing teacher, not the theme designer.

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Mary,

Thanks a lot for your fast reply. I probably didn't use the proper terms in my previous post. So I will try again. It is not the length of a course name. All course names are displayed properly (see previous post #2), but the length of section title within a course. I use topics outline in my test course TE 101 (Sp '11). The second topic on the main class page is T02-Welcome to Testing Moodle 2.0 (see below #1). In the menu in the Awesomebar (see previous post #1), the following section title T03-Introduction covers the second line of the second topic. The visible row height in the menu of the Awesomebar does not expand automatically for long section titles of a topic outline like it does for long course names (see previous post #2). All I would like to know is the CSS code that makes the overflow of a section title visible like in #2 in my previous post, but not in #1. Where do I need to look for?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Hartmut,

Apologies for the delay in answering, I haven't been able to work on my moodling much recently and so didn't catch you message over the weekend.

Have looked into the problem and found a cure (I think)

in the awesomebar.css alter the line below (line 16) to read min-height rather than just height and that fixed the issue on my localhost, so hopefully will solve it for you as well - if not come back to me and I'll look deeper into it.

#awesomebar ul.dropdown > li span{min-height:17px;}

HTH

Richard

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Richard,

Fantastic! Now it looks great. Thanks a lot for your help. Experiencing the spirit of sharing and helping is such a great experience in the Moodle forum. I enjoy it very much and highly appreciate that you took the time to help me.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Randah Mouallem -

Hello!

We have downloaded this theme and noticed it displayes beautifully in Firefox but not in IE. Unfortunately, the default browser here at my institution is IE.

There is something that is being tiled and causing the screen to scroll a lot to the right.

Any ideas how to fix it?

In reply to Randah Mouallem

by Richard Oelmann -

What version of IE are you using?

I have used Krystle on XP machines running IE7 and 8 with no problem.

Richard

by Randah Mouallem -

Yours fits my screen properly, but our download of it doesn't.

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

If you open moodel/theme/krystle/style/pagelayout.css

you need to add the following line of CSS mark-up to the #page-content-outer like this...

#page-content-outer {
position:relative;    /* This fixes the IE7 overflow hidden bug and stops the layout jumping out of place */
clear:both;
margin: 0 auto;
width:96%;
padding: 0 2%;   
overflow:hidden;        /* This chops off any overhanging divs */
background:#fff;        /* Left column background colour */
}

You will notice that it's in #page-content too. It's just that this theme is based on one I created last year but had this 'bug' in it, so it's my fault!!!

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Randah Mouallem -

That worked great. Now I have one more question.

Our login box is very tight.

We would like to edit the formatting of it so that username and password are on different lines from their text fields.

Example:

How would we do this?

Thanks in advance,
Randah.

by Mary Evans -

This is the code I use most time on my themes...

/*
Login (Front Page)
.block_login
{
margin: 0;
padding: 0;
}
.block_login .footer
{
text-align: right;
clear: both
}
.block_login .loginform .c1 {
margin: 0.3em 15px;
text-align: left;
}

CSS FAQ is a good starting point to look for help in customising your theme. Also Firefox browser and Firebug are useful too.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Mary,

Many thanks for answering these queries on Krystle. I've just got back from 10 days away in the caravan over Easter, where I had somewhat limited/occasional internet connection on the sites through my netbook. Great time had by all, but now trying to catch up properly with the discussions I've missed rather than just being able to throw a quick comment into some of them :D

God Bless

Richard

by Mary Evans -

Glad to see you back!

Hope you had a nice rest...you certainly got the weather!

As for answering the question...this was easy as I was working on my own theme fixing some 'bugs' so righting Krystal was easy!

Belated Happy Easter!

God bless

Mary

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Richard,

I downloaded your Krystle theme from your "Edit" page. Here are a few comments:

• Tabs in database and quiz are not properly displayed - a fix was mentioned here: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=165418
  • While In edit mode (on) in database activity, the "Add block" moves to the far left instead of staying on the right side. I added the zip-file of the database.Add block display in Krystle theme
  • This comment is not particular to your theme. If I use topics layout and only add text in the section name of a topic, but leave the summary empty, I still get the extra lines of white space for the summary in the main class page. Is it possible to have a conditional statement for the summary section so that no code will be applied, if it is empty?

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Hartmut,

Thanks for the feedback from Krystle.

I'll take a look at the first 2 issues over the next day or two and hopefuly post up corrections asap.

As to the third issue, off the top of my head, I would guess that might need over-riding the renderer as the conditional statement would have to come within the echo core_renderer::MAIN_CONTENT_TOKEN section. Although, using firefox/firebug, the exact css path for the course/section can be identified and gives the appropriate section, so it may be possible to use the customcss box to hide the extra space - it's not something I've tried to be honest, where I've needed a heading only in a section, I tend to use the main content part to write and format the heading that I want and not display the 'section header' at all.

Richard

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Richard,

Thanks for your fast reply and your willingness to help. The second issue seems to be related to this particular database activity, but not to the database module or Krystle theme, because a second database activity (same course) shows the blocks in the right places.

Your explanataion regarding overriding renderers is way over my head. Therefore I better use the smallest possible heading (e.g. h6) for topic summary, althouth it is a little bit more work for every course with topics outline. The course menu block only picks up what is mentioned in the section title, not in the summary.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Richard Oelmann -

Hartmut,

It would be possible to use css to hide the section headings - which should still then be picked up by the course menu block, but then use the content section to display a styled header rather than blank space.

HTH

Rich

by Mary Evans -

Hi Hartmut,

What version of Moodle are you testing this theme on, as some fixes in newer versions may correct this behaviour.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Mary,

Thanks for your reply. What I posted here was tested on a subdomain with Moodle 2.0.3 (Build: 20110505). The same happened with the database activity in another subdomain with a modified Krystle theme with Moodle 2.0.2+ (Build: 20110223) installed.

In both sites I set up a second database activity. Both times the blocks appear in their proper places. So it seems to be some code in the first database activity itself that causes the blocks to move around regardless of the theme or the Moodle version.

As I don't need this particular activity, I may just delete it. I am only surprised to see that an individual activity can "irritate" the blocks to such a degree.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi all,

I liked using the Krystle theme a lot until I ran into a major problem two days ago. As the navigation and settings are also available in the awesomebar at the top of the theme, I changed the display for both blocks so that they will only be visible on the front page. I also played with enrollment plugins and authentication. After some time when I wanted to log into the front page, I received the following debug message:

Notice: Undefined index: 643 in /home/pibceduc/public_html/theme/krystle/lib.php on line 203
Coding error detected, it must be fixed by a programmer: PHP catchable fatal error
Debug info: Argument 3 passed to global_navigation::load_activity() must be an instance of navigation_node, null given, called in /home/pibceduc/public_html/theme/krystle/lib.php on line 203 and defined
Stack trace:

line 359 of /lib/setuplib.php: coding_exception thrown
line 1545 of /lib/navigationlib.php: call to default_error_handler()
line 203 of /theme/krystle/lib.php: call to global_navigation->load_activity()
line 126 of /theme/krystle/lib.php: call to krystle_expand_navigation->initialise()
line 64 of /theme/krystle/lib.php: call to krystle_expand_navigation->__construct()
line 69 of /theme/krystle/lib.php: call to krystle_topsettings_renderer->navigation_node()
line 69 of /theme/krystle/lib.php: call to krystle_topsettings_renderer->navigation_node()
line 71 of /theme/krystle/lib.php: call to krystle_topsettings_renderer->navigation_node()
line 29 of /theme/krystle/lib.php: call to krystle_topsettings_renderer->navigation_node()
line 43 of /theme/krystle/layout/default.php: call to krystle_topsettings_renderer->navigation_tree()
line 650 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to include()
line 608 of /lib/outputrenderers.php: call to core_renderer->render_page_layout()
line 63 of /theme/index.php: call to core_renderer->header()

Did anybody else ran into this problem? Any help is highly appreciated.

With kind regards,
Hartmut

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Hartmut,

No not specifically, but I do know that there have been issues with the original awesomebar when some of the items it is trying to show are actually hidden. that may be the issue here. The code identifies that there is an item there and so passes the error trap that the activity must exist, but because it is hidden, it's not able to show it (at least I think that's how its throwing the error up!).

I am currently working on updating krystle to make use of the work Lei has done in updating awesomebar, which will hopefully solve this and some of the other minor issues which have arisen with this and other themes using this menu.  It will also hopefully address some of the other issues you have previously raised smile

However, this may take a couple of weeks at the moment due to other commitments and working on krystle off and on when I can. I'll try to get it done as soon as I am able for you.

Richard

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Richard,

Thank you for the good news that you are working and refining your Krystle theme. I understand that this takes time. I am looking forward to the updated theme.

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Randah Mouallem -

Hello smile

We are having another issue and I was wondering if there is a fix for it. When we turn editing on, the editing icons in the side blocks runs into the text in there.

On our 1.9 Moodle Site, once we turn editing on the text/contents of the side block shift down to make room for the editing icons. This isn't happening right now. Instead we end up with this...

Thanks in advance,
Randah

by Richard Oelmann -

hi Randah,

As I posted above, I'm in the process of updating Krystle - I hope to have it ready by the beginning of next week and will try to ensure this issue is addressed as part of that

Richard

by Deleted user -

Hi Richard,

I am using the Krystle theme for my site. The site has been running very slow and some of the pages like themesettings have been blanking out. When I turn on the editing in the course pages also pages have not been loading fully (1/2 or 3/4 page is loaded). See screen shots of the themesettings page.

I am sure I have not left the developer flag on in the theme settings, but since the page is blanking out,  I am unable to verify. Is there something I can add at a config file level to atleast bring up this theme settings page.

I don't know why the pages are not loading correctly? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,Saru

In reply to Deleted user

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

I am not sure if this problem you have is the same as I have been finding with a theme set I created, and because Richard used one of my themes to build Krystle upon, you may be getting the same behaviour. But like I said I am not sure if Richard has changed the layout in his latest version of Krystle.

If you check to see if there is a layout page called default.php in

../theme/krystle/layout/

If I am right, then this is the problem of the pages not loading. If I have it wrong, then it's not the theme's layout pages but some other problem, which may be related to the version of Moodle itself, the server settings etc.

If, as I suspect that the default.php is in the layout directory, then let me know as there is a fix for this.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Mary,
Yes, the original Krystle was built on your first aardvark for moodle2 and I'm just completing the update - again based on your updated aardvark_makeover and integrating Lei's updated awesomebar.
Just like Sean's original aardvark series for 1.9, your recreation of it for Moodle2, I think is one of the best starting points for adapting themes so far!
Although the file in my update is actually called general.php it is to all intents and purposes, your default.php with the minor alterations to include the awesomebar and integrate the custom menu with the awesomebar as I did last time.
Is there still a fix needed (I downloaded both aardvark_makeover and decaf to work from middle of last week) or does this apply more to the older version? I'm not experiencing these issues at home, so haven't been able to investigate them. I was just about to post the update onto my site, but will wait until you let me know if I need to apply a fix first smile

Richard

by Mary Evans -

Hi Richard,

I've not completed the fix yet in the zip so the files you have need fixing, easy enough to do, if you rename my default into general that will start you off with the new layout as it is completely different to the other Aardvark/Actic layout, because of the block header left/right 'rib' images. Then carry over the layout to a fresh copy of FP from Base theme, but be careful to not to carry over the php, as most of it is not needed.  Just start off by adding the extra layout containers. Then the custom menu and not fogetting the lang menu/login too.

If you get stuck give me a shout! LOL

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

Thanks Mary,
That's basically what I did - although I probably went the opposite to logical way about it, I started with the renaming a copy of the default file and then deleting it down to match the base front page as far as all the $has... bits went! It seems to work on all the browsers I have access to (FF3/4, Chromium - both on Linux - and IE7/8 on Windows)

Rich

by Richard Oelmann -

Please note - a new version of this theme, Krystle2 is now available. If you are experiencing any issues with the original version, I would strongly recommend updating to the new version.

The moodle themes database entry is here once it is approved, in the meantime the updated theme can be downloaded from here

For discussions please use the forum for the new version here

Thanks

Richard

by Rene Ouellette -

Hi Richard

We are have been branding the Krystle theme on our upcoming rollout of of Moodle 2.x.  Everything was working perfect in 2.0.2, and we had everything pretty much locked in.  I setup a new server that was going to be production running 2.1 latest version on Ubuntu 10.04, and we are having problems with the theme now.  I downloaded the new Krystle 2 theme, and the issue seems the same.  We are getting the Coding Error detected PHP Catachable error, discussed in different threads.  Sounds like you may have solved the issue.  Can you point me in the right direction?

I also noticed that the top menus act funny.  It breaks apart when there is a nested level, which makes it difficult to use.  I attached a pic.

Thanks,  Rene

Attachment Capture.JPG
In reply to Rene Ouellette

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Rene,

As you say, everything seemed to be working fine with Krystle under Moodle2.0x, but upgrades to 2.1 broke the awesomebar. Although that has been fixed in line with the upgrades to the awesomebar code used as part of the menu, I still had problems on my previous existing site and had to resort to a fresh install and it then worked properly mixed. It appears to me, although I have not investigated this, that there seems to be an issue that continues to break the code somewhere when you upgrade M2.0-M2.1 rather than do a fresh install. The same issue and remedy seems to be what has been identified, as you say, in a number of other threads.

You should be able to backup any courses/content you have on your site, do a fresh install of M2.1 and then restore the content and hopefully you should find that Krystle2 works correctly.

In terms of the menu splitting, I have to say that I don't see that on Firefox5 on Ubuntu11 using a fresh, unaltered download of the theme this eveningscreenshot.

Is this with the fresh download or the version that has been rebranded? Could any of the changes made during rebranding have had this effect?

By the way, several errors were corrected in the theme and it was reuploaded on Saturday 23rd July as posted in the discussion for the updated version of the theme here. If you downloaded your version prior to that, I would suggest redownloading the newest, corrected version.

by Rene Ouellette -

Hi Richard

My problem with the php error in my theme was due to a module that I had installed.  Doh!  So I guess anyone getting the PHP Catchable error should watch what modules they have enabled.

The other issue I saw was the one I pictured above, with the menu creating a gap when there is a second layer.  I checked the theme in Firefox, and it displays perfectly, so looks to be an IE issue.  I guess the issue would be with the awesomebar, so not sure if that is your cup of tea.  Any chance you can look at it with IE, to see if you see the same issue?

Thanks kindly,  Rene

by Tayo Oredola -

Hi Richard,

Thank you so much for such a wonderful and beautiful theme! I absolutely love it! I just have one small problem..the theme appears broken in ie6. I have attached a file with two screenshots taken in btowserlabs. The ie8 screenshot (at the bottom) is how it looks in every other browser but the ie6 screenshot (at the top) shows it faded at the top.

My URL is http://rcbcwestcoast.org/portal/

Please advise.

Thanks again!

~Tee

Attachment screenshots.jpg
In reply to Tayo Oredola

by Richard Oelmann -

Tayo,

Unfortunately this theme will not work in IE6 - in fact Moodle2 itself is not recommended for IE6, although work has been done on a couple fo themes to try and make as much as possible work. I do not, at present, have any plans to back-port this theme to IE6.

My recommendation would be to move away from IE6 as this is no longer supported by MS even - cost need not be an issue as browsers such as Firefox are free.

However, if that is not an option (and unfortunately for some I know its not) then I believe the Connect Royal/Core themes were produced for people in the same situation (Australian distance learning I believe) and you may find that helpful.

Richard

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Rene,

I've just returned from a couple of days away.

I'm glad you sorted the php error. I will look at the gap in IE later this evening or tomorrow and see if I can come up with a solution for you.

Richard

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi rene,

I've tried to take a look at the gap appearing in the menu for you, but I don't see it in IE9 on Win7. Unfortunately I don't currently have access to any other IE versions (hopefully I will have either IE7/8 when my wife's laptop is repaired - but as that is a school laptop that may not be until the beginning of next term) Can you let me know what version you are using to see this behaviour on?

Richard

by Richard Oelmann -

Krystle2 has now been updated with the latest changes to awesomebar as of 9th Aug 2011 - this does not include Paul's theme setting option to include the custommenu as part of awesomebar as this was already built into the Krystle2 theme.

As always, thanks to Lei and Paul for their work on the awesomebar

Richard

by Hartmut Scherer -

Hi Richard,

I downloaded the updated Krystle2 theme. Now it works and is very fast! Thanks a lot for your work and time.  Much appreciated!

With kind regards,

Hartmut

by Craig Mackey -

Richard,

I've just downloaded and installed the latest Krystle2 theme into my test site. I am running Moodle 2.2 after downloading and installion via the Bitnami Moodle Stack. I need to persist with IE as my browser because we are tied to IE8 & IE9 at work.

I have come accross 2 issues:

1. The logo appears is covered by the awesomebar, and
  2. The awesome bar menu splitting issue as described above is still happening when using IE9. The menu doesn't split when there are no child menu items, but when the menu item has children it seems to get a bottom margin which effectively splits the list. Consequently when mousing down the list, as soon as the mouse passes over the little gap the menu disappears. Most menu items are accessible when you zigzag down to miss the gaps - a very delicate process.

After reading the above posts I tried the theme in FF8 the theme displays perfectly.

See images below.

Could you please advise of a solution when using IE.

Many thanks in advance.

Happy New Year.

Regards,
Craig

In reply to Craig Mackey

by Mary Evans -

Hi Craig,

I think Rich is on holiday, so I'll try and answer this.

Usually fixing IE9/IE8/IE7 is pretty easy in CSS so I we will need to check that this is indeed the cause before effecting these CSS fixes.

Can you test this for me again, but this time taking particular notice as to which IE9 view you are in? You can do this by selecting F12 (that's Function Key 12 on your keyboard), when in IE9, Here you will see the window split into half the top half will be your Moodle page and the bottom half the Page Source alonge with other options which you will see in a menu that runs along the top of the section. In thei menu about the middle of the screen you will see "Browser Mode IE9" and Document "Mode IE9 standards" as depicted in the screenshot below.

Can you let me know if this is what you see. If not then odds on you are in one of several possible views or in IE7 Compatibility Mode which BREAKS Moodle pages.

IE9-F12

In the mean time I'll run my own checks on this theme.

Thanks

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Craig, Mary,

I'm sure this came up previously in the Krystle2 discussion thread - but I have tested again to confirm.

What Mary says is correct: If the site/theme is viewed in IE9 using IE7 mode it is broken in the way Craig describes. If IE9 is used in its own mode, then the theme works as expected without these gaps appearing in the menu. Also - if the IE9 browser is used in IE8 mode the theme works correctly.

If IE9 is used in IE9 Compatability Mode then the outcome depends on the Document Mode setting - along the same lines as above: IE7 standards do not work, IE8 and 9 do.

Richard

PS - Thanks for picking this up Mary. Although I am not away, College has been closed over the Christmas week and I haven't then been at the computer every day as I often am (Christmas is a family time after all :D)

Speaking of which Happy New Year to Everyone and I'll see you all next year (well OK tomorrow, but that's next year here!)

Rich

by Craig Mackey -

Richard/Mary,

Thanks very much for that. As suspected My browser was set to IE9 compatability mode, why I have no idea. Anyway when set to IE9 or IE8 the awesomebar works fine.

Another interesting occurrence though, after making a change, then purging all caches the next screen that that confirms the cache purging with the continue link doesn't come up - the link is broken and I get a HTTP 500 internal server error. I'm not sure why because I haven't fiddled with any of the files other than change the logo image. Also if I hit the cancel button on the purge all caches screen I go back to what appears to be the home page that looks normal (except around the awesomebar which has gaps above and below) but the dropdown menus (awesomebar or custom) don't work. After clicking one of the home links everything seems to load up and work ok from there.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction re the IE settings.

Regards,

Craig.

In reply to Craig Mackey

by Craig Mackey -

PS Richard/Mary,

I can't seem to get settings and navigation blocks to come up. I have changed the hide settings/navigation blocks to no in the theme settings but nothing seems to change. Anything extra that I need to do?

Ta,
Craig.

In reply to Craig Mackey

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Craig,

Can you check that the purging all caches link works in other themes - I can't think what in the theme could possibly cause a broken link, but if it works in other themes then I'll look into it and try to work it out.

As far as what happens when you cancel out of that purge caches page, that sounds like something isn't loading properly and is likely to be related to the broken link issue - when you then go onto the home link and carry on, the theme and page is then reloading and working correctly again.

For the setting and navigation block - I seem to remember there were some issues depending on whether or not the blocks were originally docked when the setting was changed in the first place, but I thought those had been corrected in one of Paul's changes shortly after he added the settings to hide the blocks in decaf and those changes should be in Krystle2. I'll try to look back in my notes to find it and check. In the meantime, you could try going briefly into one a standard theme, making sure they are correct and then coming back to krystle2 to make sure they are back.

Richard

In reply to Craig Mackey

by Mary Evans -

They are in the top menu arn't they? At least they appear to be so in the image you posted. Or have you lost them all together?

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Craig Mackey -

Mary,

• all of the navigation and settings in the top menu (awesomebar & my custom menu) appear to be present and work fine in Krystal2. I just can't get the blocks to come up.
  • On some pages I get the "Blocks Editing On" button (e.g. when in the front page settings page), but after clicking nothing much happens except that the button changes to its turn off mode as expected. Normally when blocks editing is on the "Add a Block" Block appears - this is not to be found anywhere.
  • The HTTP500 error on purging all caches seems to be a Krystle2 issue. I tested it on Afterburner, Standard and Decaf themes and it behaves as normal.
  • When continuing to play around a little I notice that when in Krystle2 I can't edit my little test course (or the Frontpage Topic Section). 
    The course is in collapsed topics format and none  of the open/close toggles work, nor can I add any resources or activities into Topic 0 that is open and available for editing. If I change to Topics Format I still can't add resources etc. See below.
    By changing to another theme (Decaf) all seems to be ok.

When selecting the label from the insert resource dropdown menu when editing is on, the URL in the address bar does not change, however when in another theme (Decaf again) it works, the address bar changes to reflect what's going on.
    Can't insert a label in Krystle2

When in Decaf doing the same thing the URL picks up the label selection from the menu and opens the label editing page:
    Inserting a lable OK in Decaf theme

I hope this is helpful,

Craig.

In reply to Craig Mackey

by Craig Mackey -

Mary,

Just out of interest I uninstalled my Moodle2.2 prototype site and downloaded and installed the latest Moodle 2.1.3+ installer package for windows, set it up with no problems.

I then copied in all of the themes that I'd been playing with in the 2.2 site including Krystle2, Decaf, a cloned Decaf and a child theme based on decaf.

I am very pleased to let you know that everything seems to work well in 2.1.3+ with Krystle2, including displaying the blocks, dock, and purge all caches works properly too.

The site looks really nice using Krystle2.

I'm not sure what my previous issues were but may be related to either using moodle 2.2 (as opposed to 2.1 which the plugin database says it's for), the installation via Bitnami Moodle Stack, some corruption in the installation etc.... I've really no idea why.

Krystle2 ok in moodle 2.1.3+

Many thanks for your assistance,

Craig.

In reply to Craig Mackey

by Richard Oelmann -

Craig,

I'm glad everything works in 2.1 as that was what I was using when i last worked on the theme. I know that Paul has done work on decaf and awesomebar since 2.2 was released, but I'm afraid I haven't redone Krystle for 2.2 at this stage and that could well be the root cause of the problems you are experiencing.

I wasn't aware that 2.2 would cause quite so many issues with the theme, so I had not made it a priority at all, but perhaps that now needs to change smile But I would say, I have 2.2 on my localhost test environment and have not experienced these issues myself (but I haven't set up any courses in any of the downloaded formats yet - I've only tried with the standard topic/weekly formats)

Richard

In reply to Craig Mackey

by Mary Evans -

Ah! I didn't realise you were using a Moodle stand alone package. These can be a nightmare!

Glad you have it working OK now though...and thanks for letting us know.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Craig Mackey -

Mary/Richard,

Thanks again for the support. It's really appreciated.

I went back to version 2.1.3+ because that's what we are on at my school and it still seems that there are quite a few issues with plugins etc. in version 2.2 that don't work as expected. I didn't think that there would have been so many little nuiances to sort out. I think that we will stick with the 2.1.+ versions for a while whilst as many things as possible can be ironed out.

Many thanks,

Craig.

In reply to Mary Evans

by Craig Mackey -

Richard/Mary,

A tiny little hiccup with the Krystle2 Theme in Moodle 2.1.3

When a user is not enrolled in any courses and they navigate to their my home page the two lines of text are superimposed.

After enrolling the user, the page displays ok.

This probably doesn't come up very often as users would generally enroll in their course before going to their my home page, but not 100% of the time.

See images below.

Regards,
Craig.

Text overlap when a user has no courses
xcv

Displays correctly when a user is enrolled in a course.

by Randah Mouallem -

Hello,

I have a question. We have upgraded our Moodle site to Moodle 2.1 and upgraded the Krystle 2 theme files. After we did that, we noticed the graphic which is being tiled for the side blocks is tiling a bit too much in Firefox and not enough in Internet Explorer. Is there a fix for this? I have included a screen capture comparing FF and IE.

Thanks,
Randah

by Paul Nicholls -

Hi Randah,

Have you tried purging all caches (Site Administration -> Development -> Purge all caches)?  If you've updated the theme files, you'll need to purge caches to make sure that all changes actually take effect.  Failing that, clear your browser cache to make sure it's not holding an old copy of a CSS file somewhere.

HTH,
Paul

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

First of all I would say that the page-layout is all wrong for the style of side-block headers which you have added. Also the view in IE is either IE7, which I recommend you style separately using .ie7 prefix in the CSS, or it is being viewed in Compatibility Mode in IE8 or IE9, which is not really necessary, as both IE8 & IE9 render the style as it is written in the css.

I would also like to suggest you try the following CSS to style the headers better...

In reply to Mary Evans

by Rene Ouellette -

Hi Mary 

I work with Randah at NLC.  You were right on the money about the compatibility.  We had a group policy that was forcing compatibility mode on our web address (was to fix an differnent issue with a different system), and you could not tell IE was running in this mode.  I removed the policy, and it is now displaying 100%.  Our policy is to use IE 8+, so I am not worrying of IE 7 compatibility.

Thanks for the help.

Rene

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Randah

The layout for Krystle2 was originally based on Mary's Aardvark Makeover for Moodle2 as a way of integrating the awesomebar and custommenu. It is setup for the overhanging graphic on the block header. As Mary has said in her post, if you have changed that - as it looks in your screenshot - then the page layout itself will be wrong for the changes you have made.

Richard

by Randah Mouallem -

Hello smile

Me again...I noticed today that when we highlight a topic block, labels disappear. Any suggestions? I have included screenshots below.

This is happening in IE 8 and FF 3.6.20.

Highlighted:

Highlighted

Not Highlighted

Not Highlighted

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Randah,

Sorry for not getting to this before - I got back from a family holiday yesterday smile

The labels are still there Randah - the problem appears to be that they are turning white and not showing up against the very pale grey background.

In the /theme/krystle2/style/krystle2_styles.css file (around line 327) add the rules below to leave the topic number turning white (on its dark background) but have the <p> of the label as black.

/*
Misc course page styling
-------------------------*/
.path-course-view .weeks .current,
.path-course-view .topics .current,
.path-course-view .current td.side {
    background-color: #000066;
    color: #fff;
}
.path-course-view .weeks .current p,
.path-course-view .topics .current p,
.path-course-view .current td.side p{
    color: #000;
}

HTH

Richard

by Harold Bradley -

Just wanted to let people know what is happening with the awesome bar and  the Onetopic course format plug-in. It does not do it in the Decaf theme.

Attachment k2.jpg
In reply to Harold Bradley

by Mary Evans -

Hi,

If you login and go to Krystal Custom Settings you could try adding the following in the CSS textarea provided...

#awesomebar { z-index:99999 }

which should lift the awesomebar above the tabs on that page.

I am not saying it will wrok...but it might.

HTH

Mary

In reply to Harold Bradley

by Richard Oelmann -

Hi Harold,

As Mary suggests, the image you have posted looks like a z-index issue with the one-topic course format using a higher z-index than is normal for most tabs on the main content section. If this is the only issue that causes you to say that the onetopic format doesn't work in decaf (although the imagee and the thread you have posted in relate to krystle2) then hopefully this should be a relatively straightforward fix - although I'll look in more detail over the holidays.

As Tim Hunt has previously posted in another discussion, (http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=160879) z-index can become a race to the highest value if we're not careful and it may be worth investigating what value has been applied to the onetopic format tabs, as it may be that these need reducing rather than the awesomebar values increasing

Have you tried this with decaf as well,as in your comment? - I know Paul has done a lot of work on awesomebar over the last few months and only the major updates have so far made their way into Krystle2, so if the issue is with awesomebar's z-index rather than the onetopic format, it may already be fixed there.

Richard

by Mary Evans -

It looks like it could be being caused by this CSS setting in krystle_styles.css

/*
YUI CSS
.yui-skin-sam .yui-panel-container {
    z-index: 9999999!important;
}

.user-enroller-panel {
    z-index: 9999999!important;
}

The fact it has !important after the value suggests it was put in to get over some index issue.  However, since tabs use YUI too this will probably take precedence over the Awesomebar.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Richard Oelmann -

Thanks for that find Mary - now just leaves the question why did I put that in and where did I get it from in the first place? Can't find any reference to it in my theme notes at all thoughtful and what effect will it have if its taken out - It's not there specifically for the awesomebar as I would have put that in the awesomebar.css file

I'll reinstall krystle2 on my localhost tomorrow and have a play smile

Richard

Edit: Appears to be part of the code from the original theme that krystle2 was built from rather than the liteheaded version that the original krystle was based on. I'll install the one-topic (and the topicforum format which Howards link seems to point to) and investigate properly tomorrow.

For reference - this discussion was originally for the first version of krystle, while this issue actually realtes to krystle2 which does have a separate thread on the forum.

If Mary's find about the yui z-index is correct (and she usually is smile), then this also should not apply to decaf as stated in the original post as the code is in the krystle2_styles and not in the awesomebar css files.

Rich