Cannot start chat daemon

Cannot start chat daemon

by Jeff Knutson -
Number of replies: 0

Environment:

Ubuntu 10.04.1 LTS
Server version: Apache/2.2.14 (Ubuntu)Server built:   Nov 18 2010 21:19:09
PHP 5.3.2-1ubuntu4.5 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Sep 17 2010 13:49:46)
mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.41, for debian-linux-gnu (x86_64) using readline 6.1
Moodle 1.9.9+ (Build: 20100915)

Background:

Our school moved from external hosting on a Windows server to internal hosting on Ubuntu Server. The move was done before I started, so I have no Idea how the move was done.

Problem:

I needed to turn on the Chat feature in our new system. I used the "normal method" which only worked in the "no frames and java script" version, the standard version would not display chats from anyone, but the history of those chats could be seen.  So I am now trying to get the "Chat Server Daemon" method to work. Set the proper settings in Modules > Chat, opened an SSH shell and ran the "chatd.php --start &" in moodle/mod/chat.  I get a return of [Started] but not the echo  'Starts the Moodle chat socket server on port '.$CFG->chat_serverport;  I don't get any errors and nothing interesting in the logs. I have started the deamon in user mode and superuser still same things, I cannot connect to  My_moodle_chat_server:9111  when I open the chat in a browser neither firefox or IE.  It seems that the socket never gets set up, because I see nothing listening on port 9111 after a netstat command, but a ps -ef shows the chatd.php running. I have read all of the php scripts involved and cannot find a reference or include for the settings.php file where the info to set up the chat server is contained.

What am I missing?

Average of ratings: -